Finally getting a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memory

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Finally getting a new saw, MS441C-M

I have decided to go ahead and buy a new Stihl 441C-M with a 25" bar. I have not made the purchase yet but I plan on buying pretty soon. I know someone that works at Rural King so I may be able to get a discount. I really don't need a saw this big, but Stihl does not have anything in the 65cc range in a pro saw. Is there anything bad about this saw? Any known issues with the M-Tronic system? Any reasons not to buy this saw besides the price? When I buy this saw, I want this saw to last a really long time. I will say this about the bigger saws, I would not want to carry them around all day and I am a young guy and not a weakling either.

I don't plan on doing this right away but what are some mods that can be done to this saw?

Now this saw will not get used every time I go to cut. The only time I will be using this saw is when I run into some bigger wood. Since it will be sitting a while, what are some things that should be done to it besides emptying the fuel? Should the bar oil be emptied out too? Like I said, I want this saw too last.

I know it is cheaper to buy used but I am just not fond on buying a used chainsaw especially online not being able to see them in person. I am not talking about you guys on here, mainly talking about ebay.

This may be old news but Stihl is going to discontinue the MS290 and is being replaced with the 271. Seems kind of crazy to discontinue one of their best selling saws. The guy I was talking to at a local dealer said it has to do with emissions.

Last edited:
You will just freaking love that saw. I dont own one but have run one several times, slickest smoothest saw I ever touched. Plenty of power, adjusts itself/tunes itself constantly.

They are great saws, I love mine. All I have done to mine is open the muffler outlet to let it breath better. I can't wait for the MS661 MTronic sweet!!!

Steve

You'lll love the 441CM, it's a great saw. The 291 has replaced the 290, but there are plently of 290's sitting in distribution, same with the 250, it's gone but tons still sitting in distobution. 251 gas the 261 type air filter, 261.271,291 basically all on the same chassis with the 261 being the only split case pro design. 460 is also gone as is the 440. You'll love the 441cm. smooth, prolly stronger than a stock 460 just a great all around saw.

Wish I'd have gotten the wrap version for the dual dawgs and high output oiler...

Added the dual dawgs, now guess gotta go back and add the HO oiler at some point.

Anyone remember how much the wrap adds to the price?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

You'lll love the 441CM, it's a great saw. The 291 has replaced the 290, but there are plently of 290's sitting in distribution, same with the 250, it's gone but tons still sitting in distobution. 251 gas the 261 type air filter, 261.271,291 basically all on the same chassis with the 261 being the only split case pro design. 460 is also gone as is the 440. You'll love the 441cm. smooth, prolly stronger than a stock 460 just a great all around saw.

The guy I talked to today said the 271 has replaced the 290, of course he could be wrong.

Wish I'd have gotten the wrap version for the dual dawgs and high output oiler...

Added the dual dawgs, now guess gotta go back and add the HO oiler at some point.

Anyone remember how much the wrap adds to the price?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

I assume you are talking about the full wrap handle? I thought they came stock with the full wrap unless there are different versions of a full wrap handle.

Can you tell if it has a high output oiler just by looking at it? Are high output oilers mainly used for longer bars? Would I need it with a 25" bar?

Once I get it, I will take plenty of pics. How long has this saw been out?

I just bought the same saw, and its awesome!! I'm sure a mmod would be great, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Mine came with a 20" bar and I bought the 25" bar when I bought the saw. I've also got a Light 28" also coming. No regrets on this saw. If your gonna be storing for long periods of time you might wanna dump the gas out but I don't worry bout it. Cause you won't wanna let it sit that long after the first time you run it. All i run is non-oxy gas in all my small engines have never had a problem. That and you'd be dumping out gas after each time cause of how little gas it uses. So MAKE THE PURCHASE!!

We're a dealer already have the 291's on the shelf, can get yourself an ez start one if you like, as it is an option on the 291.

I really don't need a saw this big, but Stihl does not have anything in the 65cc range in a pro saw. Is there anything bad about this saw?

You should consider the MS362.

MS361 (vs MS441)
59cc (vs 70cc)
4.6 bhp (vs 5.6 bhp)
13 lbs (vs 14.8 lbs)

It's a pro saw, and it'll pull a 25" bar

MS361 (vs MS441)
59cc (vs 70cc)
4.6 bhp (vs 5.6 bhp)
13 lbs (vs 14.8 lbs)

I did consider the 362 at one point but decided against it. Mainly for one reason, I wanted a saw that can run a 25" or bigger bar every time I use it. And I already have a pro 56cc saw that runs a 20" all the time. This purchase will hopefully be the last saw purchase for a long time. So I don't want to buy a smaller one and regret it later. Will the 362 pull a 25" bar all the time or just in a pinch?

Would adding the dual dawg cost extra? What about the high output oiler? Do I really need that? And it looks like the full wrap version is not available in our area. Is the full wrap handle mainly for felling trees? Any other advantages if just bucking logs?

When I go to take pics, is there a certain area that you guys would like to see up close? Now I really don't want to do a complete tear down.

On starting saws, I know the safest way to start a saw is to put it on the ground and put your foot in the handle to hold it in place. The problem is most peoples feet will not fit in the handle, at least mine will not with boots on. Is there any reason the manufacturers can't make the handle big enough to put your foot in it?

Last edited:

MS361 (vs MS441)
59cc (vs 70cc)
4.6 bhp (vs 5.6 bhp)
13 lbs (vs 14.8 lbs)

It's a pro saw, and it'll pull a 25" bar

I agree. I own an ms 290 so I can crap on it. When I bought it the dealer told me it was a pro saw and I didn't know any better. If you run a 362 or 441 you wouldnt even consider the 290. I ran a ported 361 a for a few days last fall. In the same log it cut almost 3 times as fast as my 290 - no exaggeration. We also ran it against a stock 660 and it was almost as fast and much easier on the arms.

I did consider the 362 at one point but decided against it. Mainly for one reason, I wanted a saw that can run a 25" or bigger bar every time I use it. And I already have a pro 56cc saw that runs a 20" all the time. This purchase will hopefully be the last saw purchase for a long time. So I don't want to buy a smaller one and regret it later. Will the 362 pull a 25" bar all the time or just in a pinch?

a 25" bar is pushing the power of a 362. So if you need to run 25" bar constantly, I'd choose a bigger saw MS441 or similar (the MS660 has a lot more power, at the cost of a little more weight. Some time ago, I collected performance info on various saws, to allow comparison of power/weight etc, have a look https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Aj-zkrzI57-edGltX3ZFek9CRERBbndIUi1lUTVVeEE&output=html
Alternatively, you could use a skip-chain on the MS362, but to be honest, I'd go for a little more power (=speed), if I were you.

a 25" bar is pushing the power of a 362. So if you need to run 25" bar constantly, I'd choose a bigger saw MS441 or similar (the MS660 has a lot more power, at the cost of a little more weight. Some time ago, I collected performance info on various saws, to allow comparison of power/weight etc, have a look https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Aj-zkrzI57-edGltX3ZFek9CRERBbndIUi1lUTVVeEE&output=html
Alternatively, you could use a skip-chain on the MS362, but to be honest, I'd go for a little more power (=speed), if I were you.

That is why I am purchasing a ms441. I think the 441 will be plenty strong enough for me.

Is the high output oiler only available on the full wrap version?

Maybe this thread would be better suited in the chainsaw section. It is just kind of a habit posting in this section.

It's plenty firewood related. 441 m-tronic is the perfect firewood saw to really get it done with a 25" bar. You are gonna love it. Welcome to the 441's.

It's plenty firewood related. 441 m-tronic is the perfect firewood saw to really get it done with a 25" bar. You are gonna love it. Welcome to the 441's.

Thanks, I am really excited about this purchase. I have been wanting to buy one for a while now. The only reason I am buying new instead of used is because I do not have to touch the money in my back account. I had this much money in loose change rolled up. I just have to start my collection all over again.

Can anybody tell me about the high output oiler? Is that just available on the full wrap version? What is the advantage of the full wrap version?

Also, why is the MS441C-Q version higher than the MS441C-M version? I figured the C-M version would be higher. I would think the M-Tronic feature is a little more complex than additional chain braking.

Last edited:
Thanks, I am really excited about this purchase. I have been wanting to buy one for a while now. The only reason I am buying new instead of used is because I do not have to touch the money in my back account. I had this much money in loose change rolled up. I just have to start my collection all over again.

Can anybody tell me about the high output oiler? Is that just available on the full wrap version? What is the advantage of the full wrap version?

QUOTE]

I ordered a 441 r cm last week. My dealer charged me an extra $75 for the r version, which includes the full wrap handle, high output oiler, dual dogs and I think spring AV's, not sure about the AV difference, but sure about the other.

Well worth the extra $ in my opinion. If you tried to add the dawgs, handle and oiler aftermarket it would run you more than double that.

I got mine with a 32" bar but will rarely run it, and already have a 25" that it will wear most of the time.

I will post pics when I get it, but probably won't get it for another few weeks.

I would see if your dealer could order the 'R' model. This includes the 3/4 wrap handlebar, HO oiler, HD anti vibe springs, dual dawgs, and extended clutch cover. For what you get, the extra cost is worth it. You would have more into just the oiler and clutch cover than just buying the R version.
:msp_thumbup:
Make sure you let us know how you like it!

What is the advantage of the full wrap handle? Does it mainly help out with felling trees? I will check and see how much the R version would cost but I will probably stick with the C-M version.

I plan on going to a dealer today and see what he has and what he can offer me. Who knows, I may come home with a saw today:msp_smile:

Back