Finally getting a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the advantage of the full wrap handle? Does it mainly help out with felling trees? I will check and see how much the R version would cost but I will probably stick with the C-M version.

I plan on going to a dealer today and see what he has and what he can offer me. Who knows, I may come home with a saw today:msp_smile:

This post answers the question, however even if you do not want the wrap, the other extras are helpful

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/208384.htm

Just got back from a dealer and he said he does not like the ms441. He has talked to several tree service guys and said between the 441 and the 460, they prefer the 460. One reason the dealer says he doesn't like them is because they are harder to work on.

I think I am still going with the 441C-M. Probably go back down tomorrow and try and work something out.

I really don't need the full wrap. I think I can live without that. I wouldn't mind having the HO oiler but is not a deal breaker. I will get the dual dawgs added to it.

Just got back from a dealer and he said he does not like the ms441. He has talked to several tree service guys and said between the 441 and the 460, they prefer the 460. One reason the dealer says he doesn't like them is because they are harder to work on.

I think I am still going with the 441C-M. Probably go back down tomorrow and try and work something out.

I really don't need the full wrap. I think I can live without that. I wouldn't mind having the HO oiler but is not a deal breaker. I will get the dual dawgs added to it.

cool man! IMO it is much nicer than a new 461 I just checked out this last weekend. Them things are heavy, the 441 isnt and is real dang smooth. Give up a just a few CCs for much lighter and way smoother.

I just cant see the point of the 460/1 when it is so close to the 660. I was hefting both of them and meh. I mean it is a little lighter and proly gets better mileage, but dang. 660 is just way way more saw if you need to cut real big stuff. And the 441 is real powerful for its weight, and that mtronic is just amazing. No dorking around with tuning. You can go from cutting 6 inch stuff to 26 inch stuff, just adjusts itself for proper torque, cuts good.

I am still going to get the MS441C-M. I am just not sure where I should buy it at. See, the thing is I know somebody that works at Rural King and can get a 10% discount which would bring the total cost down to $819 plus tax. He has to be the one to buy it. If I have him buy it, I may not be able to get anything thrown in for free. And I don't want to get him in trouble if the store knows he is buying for someone else.

If I buy through a dealer, I can probably get him to knock off a little but probably not $91 but I can probably get stuff thrown in like oil, files or maybe an extra chain.

Every place around here is asking $910.

I' get your guy to get it for 819. The best price I found for the cm was 888. 819 is a very good price

I will probably end up having my cousin get it for me at Rural King as long as it does not cause any trouble and if he has any in stock. Most likely, I will not be able to get any thing thrown in if he buys it. Another thing, is there anything on the saw itself that tells you what model it is? I looked at one at a different dealer and there was nothing on the saw that said what model it was. Just want to make sure he gets the right saw.

Since I will not be there when he buys it, I will have to buy the bumper spikes separate. Where do I go about buying them? Can I get them online? Is the bumper spikes separate from the clutch cover?

One thing that worries me about this saw is how long the M-Tronic feature will last without causing major problems since it has only been out two years or so. I know I will not be using it that much but still. Sometimes I worry too much about every little thing. I just need to buy it and be done with it.

Well crap, I don't know what to do now. I have been talking to my cousin that works at Rural King and they do not sell a ms441cm with a 25" bar, it only comes with a 20" bar. With the 20" bar, it retails at $850 and with his 15% discount, it would be $722+tax. The only one they sell with a 25" bar is a ms460 which retails at $990 and with his discount would be $841+tax.

Do I buy the ms441 with a 20" bar and with the savings buy a 25" bar and chain through Baileys or maybe through Rural King? Or do I buy the old and reliable ms460 which would be cheaper than a ms441 at any other dealer?

In a way, I am excited about the M-Tronic feature and in a way, I am not a big fan of electronic gizmos. I just don't know if that really matters that much in my situation since this saw will not be used that much.

I am going to go down there and talk to them and make sure they can't order a 441 with a 25" bar. Me and my cousin have been talking over the phone about this, kind of hard doing something like this over the phone.

Last edited:
Well crap, I don't know what to do now. I have been talking to my cousin that works at Rural King and they do not sell a ms441cm with a 25" bar, it only comes with a 20" bar. With the 20" bar, it retails at $850 and with his 15% discount, it would be $722+tax. The only one they sell with a 25" bar is a ms460 which retails at $990 and with his discount would be $841+tax.

Do I buy the ms441 with a 20" bar and with the savings buy a 25" bar and chain through Baileys or maybe through Rural King? Or do I buy the old and reliable ms460 which would be cheaper than a ms441 at any other dealer?

In a way, I am excited about the M-Tronic feature and in a way, I am not a big fan of electronic gizmos. I just don't know if that really matters that much in my situation since this saw will not be used that much.

I am going to go down there and talk to them and make sure they can't order a 441 with a 25" bar. Me and my cousin have been talking over the phone about this, kind of hard doing something like this over the phone.

A lot of places will just switch the bar over at the store and charge you the difference in price, which is like 20$ between a 20 and 25. I ordered mine with a 32" bar no problem.

It will accept the larger bar they should just swap them out.

Or do as you said and get both, you may end up liking and using the 20" bar quite often.

Get the saw, buy another bar and some loops for it, either at the dealer or like from a site sponsor here. Always good to have at least two functional bars and loops for every saw.

Get the saw, buy another bar and some loops for it, either at the dealer or like from a site sponsor here. Always good to have at least two functional bars and loops for every saw.

I do plan on buying another chain, but not sure if a second bar is needed. We have been cutting firewood for many years with our JD CS56 with just one bar and never ran into a problem. Of course, it helps that usually there is someone with me that has a chainsaw as well.

If you had the money to spend, which saw would you buy, the 441cm or the 460? The only thing I am leary about is with the 441cm, if I did have trouble with it, I would not be able to take it to a backyard mechanic. You would have to take it to a dealer and $60 an hour for labor.

I may decide to get the 441 with both the 20" and 25" bar just in case. I will ask them about the R version as well. I plan on going down there here shortly, I will let you know what I come up with. I may have a new saw by early as tomorrow.

The m tronic system has been in place for a while. Stihl is using an even more advanced system in their cutoff saws. It's not brand new technology and eventually the direction all saws will head.

The m tronic system has been in place for a while. Stihl is using an even more advanced system in their cutoff saws. It's not brand new technology and eventually the direction all saws will head.

I realize it is not brand new technology but has it been out long enough to be able to tell if it will stand up in the long term? If the saw does need to be worked on out of warranty, would I be able to take it to any mechanic? Is there special tools required to work on this that not every backyard mechanic is going is going to have?

I just got back from Rural King and decided to buy the MS441RCM with the 25" bar and chain. They did not have one in stock of course but hopefully will have it tomorrow. Counting his discount and adding tax, I ended up paying about $864. He also threw in the additional 1 year warranty without having to buy the Stihl oil and he is going to throw in a file as well. He could not throw in an extra chain. But all in all, I can't complain.

As soon as I get the saw, I will post pics here while it is still nice and shiny.

Thanks for all your help and support in buying this saw. I just hope in the long run, I do not regret it.

You did well. I bought a 441 RC-m last christmas. Out the door it was $875.00 with a 20" bar. I then ordered a 28" light bar for it.
You'll love the saw. It's totally awesome. I really have nothing bad to say. The HD oiler is a good addition. With the longer bars it helps to get the oil all the way out there. Enjoy!
George

I realize it is not brand new technology but has it been out long enough to be able to tell if it will stand up in the long term? If the saw does need to be worked on out of warranty, would I be able to take it to any mechanic? Is there special tools required to work on this that not every backyard mechanic is going is going to have?

I just got back from Rural King and decided to buy the MS441RCM with the 25" bar and chain. They did not have one in stock of course but hopefully will have it tomorrow. Counting his discount and adding tax, I ended up paying about $864. He also threw in the additional 1 year warranty without having to buy the Stihl oil and he is going to throw in a file as well. He could not throw in an extra chain. But all in all, I can't complain.

As soon as I get the saw, I will post pics here while it is still nice and shiny.

Thanks for all your help and support in buying this saw. I just hope in the long run, I do not regret it.

Congrats on the new saw.

I hear you on the m-tronic. For those of us who hope to keep a saw for a lifetime, future computer related issues down the road are one more thing to worry about.

I was in the same boat as you last week. Wanted something that handle a 25+ bar. Since I dont like new technology i really wanted a 440 but couldn't find one. Was ready to get a 372xp when the stihl dealer told me about a like new dealer demo 660 with full warranty for less than the husky. Overkill? Sure but why not!

Last edited:
Any of you guys know what the C stands for? I found out today, I just want to see if you know.

I don't think this is a problem but just want to check. I use Echo Xtended life 2 cycle oil mixed at 50:1 for my JD CS56 and figured on using that same oil in the Stihl. Is there any problem with that? I would hate to have to carry around two gas cans. Would it be a warranty issue?

Last edited:
Any of you guys know what the C stands for? I found out today, I just want to see if you know.

I don't think this is a problem but just want to check. I use Echo Xtended life 2 cycle oil mixed at 50:1 for my JD CS56 and figured on using that same oil in the Stihl. Is there any problem with that? I would hate to have to carry around two gas cans. Would it be a warranty issue?

Comfort Feature

I don't think they can tell or would care what oil you are using as long as it is the right mix

Just use Stihl Ultra oil for everything, not worth risking your 2 year warranty for a few bottles of oil. And it is good oil.

Congrats on a really nice saw. Stratos take some time to break-in and will gain power through 15 tanks or so.

Well, I guess i'm a little late for my input - a few threads ago you were talking about getting both a 20 inch and 25 inch bar. I see you got the 25, but I'm here to tell you that you should also get a 20 inch bar. I know you've been happy to this point using the JD 56 with 20 - answer this question - if your badazz 70 cc professional saw is wearing a 20in bar and your JD56 is wearing a 20 inch bar - which would you rather cut with? For the $ you saved by using your cousin - get the 20 inch bar and have a great time in the woods. Don't let that saw sit.

Well, I guess i'm a little late for my input - a few threads ago you were talking about getting both a 20 inch and 25 inch bar. I see you got the 25, but I'm here to tell you that you should also get a 20 inch bar. I know you've been happy to this point using the JD 56 with 20 - answer this question - if your badazz 70 cc professional saw is wearing a 20in bar and your JD56 is wearing a 20 inch bar - which would you rather cut with? For the $ you saved by using your cousin - get the 20 inch bar and have a great time in the woods. Don't let that saw sit.

I realize what you are saying but I did not buy this saw to use all the time, mainly for the bigger stuff. To tell you the truth, I am not sure I would want to use this saw for all my cutting. Although once I get some seat time with it, I may change my mind. I am no small guy or weakling but with the saw weighing almost 15lbs empty, I think I would be feeling it by the end of the day. In the future I may get a 20" bar for it or if and when something happens to the JD cs56.

I just picked up the saw so here are the pics.

This is with the saw filled with oil and gas. With the bar and chain installed, it weighed 21lbs 14oz.
IMG_0339_zps804d0d71.jpg

IMG_0343_zpsec52e1dd.jpg

IMG_0344_zps09826e37.jpg

IMG_0346_zpsf2a55ac0.jpg

IMG_0347_zps615a46dd.jpg

If you want any more pics, let me know. While starting the saw at the dealer for the first time, I got a little worried. It took several pulls before it started. Even he started to get a little worried. Once it did start, it never had any trouble after that. I also seen some sparks when he revved it up coming from the chain. He said that was normal because it was still dry, I just never seen one do that. Once I got home and ran it, I did notice while at higher rpm, it seemed like it was searching for the right spot, the rpm's kept fluctuating. I don't like that too much, hopefully that will get better once I run it some.

Also I didn't notice this until I got home but the manual is for a 441cm. Since the R version has a different oiler, would the instructions be different? I have been looking through the manual and it does mention about the HO oiler. Also, Stihl needs to update their specs for the 441rcm model. According to their website both the 441cm and the 441rcm weigh the same which I thought was odd. But according to the book, the R version weighs almost a pound more, 15.4 vs. 14.6.

Another thing, why don't they list the version of the saw on the saw itself like on the Stihl emblem on the side?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back