finally splitter pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badcars2

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
this thing is a monster, seems the only limit is the welds the hold the slider on the beam. looks like ray charles welded them together, just got done cutting out the old welds with amatabo and will bevel everything the get some real penetration.
i have welded in construction for several years and i think i can do this my 115v mig that i have handy. root, grind, and cap, everyone say it with me
if these pics will post i have attatched them here.
good luck to me.
badcars2

few more pics!

a few more
promised pics to a few of this , drug out of the wood splitter. i know i am late, but here they are!!
badcars2

how did you manage to fit it in the garage with all that other stuff there???:)

first thing i'd do is eliminate the belt drive and go with a direct drive.

Not to bad lookin all I can see that it needs is sandblasting, a fresh coat of paint, new hoses, and a larger hydraulic tank. As for your pump unless that belt is slipping leave it alone just move your motor back over so you can put both belts onto it.

Had one with a similar setup given to me also. Mine was chain driven instead of belt though. The problem that I had was the roller links on the chain started comming apart and chewing the sprockets up. I converted it over to a 2 stage haldex pump and direct mounted it to the engine. From there I found out just how bad of a welder the original builder really was. Needless to say a free logsplitter ended up costing me close to $350 to fix up so I feel I made out ok with it.

Not a bad find really. It looks like someone used the hyd pump and reservoir off a 55 JD combine. It likely isn't a real high speed rig but it should do fine if you are willing to work with it's capabilities. I would try and turn the motor or change the muffler to the back to get rid of the exhaust better. A little TLC and you will be splitting away...

Interesting splitter ! Those JD pumps are pretty good, I have one on my small splitter and one on a chipper. The ram setup looks good to spread the load and keep it from binding. I havn't seen one mounted on a drive axle before, maybe I've missed something before but I think that is a good idea. Add a motor to that and make it self propelled. I may have to try that. Thanks for the pics.

My boss has a log splitter with a Deere combine pump and it works pretty dang good. Look sa lot like that setup! Like stated above, it isnt real fast, but for the guy splitting just his own firewood like a lot of us, it works great!

i know ill get bucked on this but...

:chainsaw: anyhow, i cut apart the already busted side of the pusher part of the splitter. dont doubt the performance of a 115v mig, man with the right situation the half inch and three eights steel was a breeze. of course ther was several hours grinding time in prep.
I love all the comments on the pics, and by the way my garage is an absolute disaster and thank you for noticing.
the guy who gave it to me to check on progress, i told him i had it running, nothing else. amazing i haul off junk then the original owner wants to borrow it after it is all up and running.
anyhow, i originally thought the limiting factor was he belt drive, i was wrong, i will long outpower the hydraulics and the ram. i have watched the hosejump upright and get crazy but the belt drive never slip a lick. i did have to reinforce the motormount but hey, for the price i was happy.
so i have rambled, yall have a good night,
badcars2
:givebeer: :chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back