Fire Department Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm on my local fire dept and we have 2 stihl ms280s and the ms460 rescue saw. The 280s are great for the all around storm damage or woods fire, we leave the 460 for the structure fires or forced entry applications.

I'm on my local fire dept and we have 2 stihl ms280s and the ms460 rescue saw. The 280s are great for the all around storm damage or woods fire, we leave the 460 for the structure fires or forced entry applications.

I would Agree for most brush fire apps we use 50cc saws and they are fine, for a structural or rescue application a larger saw would be better off. Check with you local dealers, one of our local guys actually donated all the Jreds that we currently have, I think 3 or 4 over the course of 2 years. I can't say that your dept will get free saws, however seeing that they may get parts sales and perhaps some service work out of it, the local dealers may give you guys a price break on some new equipment, besides looks good to the community and if they play it right it can be a tax write off.

Alot of our volunteer departments are buying 455 ranchers from lowes becuase of price. They are essentially throw aways for them.

Recently my department purchased 2 new saws. We purchased a 460 rescue saw (a sheer beauty!) and a smaller MS390 for cutting trees/ice/ and other stuff we might run into (thats wood). We had a late last year where our saws were on our engine, but the tanker was running water supply miles away. Well when they got to the pond, it was frozen. so away they went with axes, a half hour later they finally got through, good thing we had alot of mutual aid that night or the interior guys would not have been happy. So to say the least we had to buy a second multi purpose saw...and since the price was right the 390 fit the bill. I would have liked to see a pro saw be bought but im the low man on the pole and since money is tight we had to do what we had to do. I think that the 390 will do ok though. I suggest for your dept going to a local dealer, explaining the situation, and seeing if they can get you some kind of discount for emergency services. I would imagine that stihl might have some kind of plan for emergency services to pay a lesser amount (but i dont know this)

I think a fund raiser would be a good idea to pay for the saws you decide on getting.The town I work in a few weeks ago had firemen at all the major intersections dressed up in there firemen outfits asking for donations.And I am sure the local dealer would give you a discount or maybe ask them for a free one and have a big write up in the local news paper about how they are so generous.

Have you ever used one? 'cuz I think that if you did, you wouldn't have a single bad thing to say about that saw.

Nope, not going to either. I got a 044, 441, and 460 for that size and class. I was not speaking bad of that saw, just the way it was marketed. Baileys sold that saw as a wood cutting tool to try and save their 372 'net sales, which no net sales looks to be doing husky good. Looking at an old catalog the "Univent 75cc Fire Storm Pro Chainsaw's" description mentions the fire service many times and is even printed on the recoil cover's tag, "designed and devolped for fire service only".

Here is a real Univent: http://www.unifireusa.com/ventSaw.php

Nope, not going to either. I got a 044, 441, and 460 for that size and class. I was not speaking bad of that saw, just the way it was marketed. Baileys sold that saw as a wood cutting tool to try and save their 372 'net sales, which no net sales looks to be doing husky good. Looking at an old catalog the "Univent 75cc Fire Storm Pro Chainsaw's" description mentions the fire service many times and is even printed on the recoil cover's tag, "designed and devolped for fire service only".

Here is a real Univent: http://www.unifireusa.com/ventSaw.php

They don't give those away do they.Is there that much more on them to double the price of the ones Baileys was selling or are you paying just for a specialized saw.

Recently my department purchased 2 new saws. We purchased a 460 rescue saw (a sheer beauty!) and a smaller MS390 for cutting trees/ice/ and other stuff we might run into (thats wood). We had a late last year where our saws were on our engine, but the tanker was running water supply miles away. Well when they got to the pond, it was frozen. so away they went with axes, a half hour later they finally got through, good thing we had alot of mutual aid that night or the interior guys would not have been happy. So to say the least we had to buy a second multi purpose saw...and since the price was right the 390 fit the bill. I would have liked to see a pro saw be bought but im the low man on the pole and since money is tight we had to do what we had to do. I think that the 390 will do ok though. I suggest for your dept going to a local dealer, explaining the situation, and seeing if they can get you some kind of discount for emergency services. I would imagine that stihl might have some kind of plan for emergency services to pay a lesser amount (but i dont know this)

Talk to your local dealer. We discount to the local fire depts pretty hard (read cost). The Dealer has recourse to recovery some of that lost profit.

If you are doing structural rescues Stihl makes a dedicated rescue saw that could have the depth limiter removed for doing tree work. It would be hard to beat the Stihl 460 Rescue. Powerful saw used by departments the world over. Downside is it's gonna set you back the better part of a thousand dollars. Seriously though if you guys are that short on funds you should have an equipment purchasing/upgrading fundraiser and let the people you serve help you buy some equipment.

Another thought for someone watching their budget is to buy good used saws from pawnshops, craigslist, etc. You could probably buy 3 good saws for the same price you would have into the 460R. Start asking around there may be someone who has a couple of good saws they used to use but are now collecting dust who would love to donate to you or your department. If your department has good repoir with the community good things will happen. Good luck!!

i agree with you on the fund raiser idea ideas such as fish fry or barbecue plates or shrimp plates or oyster plates those ideas are good to have a fund raiser

think about a used Makita 6400 from home depot! they uasually go for around 250$. talk to their manager and tell him what it's for. he should make a good deal or at least give you the best in his line!
More than enough power for all your needs.

they have on there German homepage security products, they have Rescue Cut Kits on there homepage.
http://www.dolmar.de/produkte/category/941/index.html

width584x72.jpg

maybe it would be possible to aquire something similar or if need any help I could ask here and tell you the prices.

I deserver a :buttkick: my home depot was selling one for 181 should have bought it. It did have decent copression when i pulled the rope

My vote is for the MS 460R

They don't give those away do they.Is there that much more on them to double the price of the ones Baileys was selling or are you paying just for a specialized saw.

Yeah, those are pretty high at that price. I'm not sure if that is the "standard" price for those saws or not. The differences are in the depth gauge, bar, muffler sheild, and special chain, not $700 worth though. With the 460R having a msrp of $1200, that univent isn't even a consideration. The 460R is a much better built saw imo. As mentioned by a dealer here, most Stihl dealers will work with FDs on that msrp also.

The local fire dept. here uses Husy 340's, I believe they have four of them. When one gets shot, the rotate it out of service and buy another. I questioned the chief about the size and durability and he said they perform just fine.

I'll revive a not so old thread to ask this:

Our volunteer department recently got a MS290 for structure fires. I know it's not the best for the task but that's what those who hold the purse strings deemed we needed. It came with the regular chain. The question is will the RDR chain fit this saw? or is it specially made for the 460 Rescue Saw?

Thanks from Alaksa

Our volunteer department recently got a MS290 for structure fires. I know it's not the best for the task but that's what those who hold the purse strings deemed we needed. It came with the regular chain. The question is will the RDR chain fit this saw? or is it specially made for the 460 Rescue Saw?

Thanks from Alaksa

It is "advised" to be used on the 460R. You will need a 3/8 rim and a .063 gauge bar to run the RDR on a 290, a hard nosed tip will last longer if cutting roofs, metal, etc. 16" is the longest I'd go for a 290. Looking at an old price list, the 16" chain msrp is $278.:eek:

If all ya'll are using it for is wood and the occasional naily 2X4, standard Stihl chain will work. I have found RSC to hold up well when hitting a nail, have not broken off a tooth yet. A grinder is a better way to touch them up for sharping after hitting one though. Full skip helps also since you have less teeth.

Thanks for the reply.

$278 :jawdrop:

So the RDR chain is made for cutting metal as well as wood? All our roofs out here are metal so that would be a handy feature to have.

Thanks from Alaksa

You can make the chain fit. The 460 has much more power (6.0 HP vs 3.8 HP) to drive the chain through building materials, and heavier duty internal components to last longer.

The STIHL rescue saw has some other features, designed for the fire use, that your MS 290 does not: a larger pull starter handle to operate with gloves; a depth limiting kit to control penetration; an additional heat shield to help prevent secondary ignition of building materials from the hot muffler, a wrap handle for improved control and positioning. You might be able to add some of these to your 290.

The rescue chain has its own issues. It must be sharpened with a diamond wheel (or costs more to have done at a shop) and the carbide tips on the teeth periodically fly off and have to be replaced (whole link is replaced). These costs might be acceptable considering its application in emergency service, but should be considered along with its advantages in cutting building materials.

Philbert

Last edited:
Talk to your local dealer. We discount to the local fire depts pretty hard (read cost).

+1.

You need reliable saws in your application. If I am delayed a day or so cutting firewood due to saw problems, it is a matter of inconvenience. In emergency service, this is unacceptable, especially considering that we are only talking a few to several hundred dollars per saw, not thousands.

This cost would be quickly recovered in reduced property loss and crew deployment time/expense.

I hope that you are not scrimping on your other fire gear.

Work with a local dealer in your community and get new, pro quality saws and supplies. And don't mix you gas ahead of time - mix it fresh so that the saws will start right up.

Philbert

fire deparment saw

there are a lot of grants from federal and local agency's to help with equipment purchasing dollars. sometimes a department can contact the manufacture and get a saw donated with a promise to pay for later. if a department has a good budget money can be put aside a little at a time to save for special uses like saws and some fund raising money added.my former department need a good set of sawz so i gave them a pair of used 036 pros from my timber falling business. the sawz are still being used, they are treated like krap :censored: the :censored: chief will not enforce the mandatory OSHA training class. i used on most fire calls a personally maintained fire department 066.

:givebeer:

well i would say the 460r thats what we have and we used to have a 650 but somebody stole it off the truck:cry:. but if moneys tight your department might be able to put in for federal grants or thats what we do in nv. nice to hear there are other fellow volunteer firefighters here:clap:

Our first out paid staff engines all have Stihl circular saws now, in addition to chainsaw. One engine still has an older Partner circ saw. Around here, you may wind up on a tile or metal roof.

All our second out/volunteer engines have chainsaws; a mix of Husky and Stihl with carbide chain. The water tender at our station has a Husky.

I was going to grab some model numbers at my volunteer training last night, but got side tracked...

It is "advised" to be used on the 460R. You will need a 3/8 rim and a .063 gauge bar to run the RDR on a 290, a hard nosed tip will last longer if cutting roofs, metal, etc. 16" is the longest I'd go for a 290. Looking at an old price list, the 16" chain msrp is $278.:eek:

Latest posts

Back