Fire starting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never use liquid accelerants. Just seems unnatural. Kerosene goes in the heater, diesel goes in the truck. Etc, etc, etc. Wood products work every time.

Modern day corn cob.
Old timers used to dip corn cobs in kerosene.
If you dont have corn cobs.
Make a modern day corn cob.
Take highly absorbant bounty paper towels
Roll them up to look like your favorite corn cob
Then dip them , they hold liquid and wont let go
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Real old timers used corn cobs for somethin different than startin fires :laugh:

Under normal conditions I can get a good fire going with one pine cone on the bottom and kindling scraps from the splitting area. 5 mins. max. roaring fire. Bottom line everyone has there own way and will not be told how to do it by someone else. So I guess whatever works for you.

A question for all you guys that use splitting trash for kindling - how do you handle it, do you bag it or store it in boxes? I split in April and don't start burning until late October. By then the dog has run off with the big chips as chew toys and the small stuff as gone back into the soil.

i pick up only the really good splitting scraps and put them in 5 gal. pail. But like on the other topic the new style 40 or 50 lb dog food bags would also work great.

I just light my own farts. :fart:

Gets it rippin' every time. :angry: Beer helps too, but mostly before.

Im also a fan of rolled cardboard. We save most of our year's worth of cardboard boxes, and tear off small (6"x8"ish) pieces and roll them into tubes. They light readily, burn longer than newspaper, and throw more heat. Only takes half a dozen of so. None of that glossy stuff tho, or cardboard with a ton of ink in it... If it burns funny colors, I don't want to send it up my chimney.

Other than that, I follow the split rails with a valley full of tinder method described by the OP.

Who's had their first burn already this year?

:cheers:

I just light my own farts. :fart:

Gets it rippin' every time. :angry: Beer helps too, but mostly before.

Im also a fan of rolled cardboard. We save most of our year's worth of cardboard boxes, and tear off small (6"x8"ish) pieces and roll them into tubes. They light readily, burn longer than newspaper, and throw more heat. Only takes half a dozen of so. None of that glossy stuff tho, or cardboard with a ton of ink in it... If it burns funny colors, I don't want to send it up my chimney.

Other than that, I follow the split rails with a valley full of tinder method described by the OP.

Who's had their first burn already this year?

:cheers:

Quite a few of us :)

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/206132.htm

A question for all you guys that use splitting trash for kindling - how do you handle it, do you bag it or store it in boxes? I split in April and don't start burning until late October. By then the dog has run off with the big chips as chew toys and the small stuff as gone back into the soil.
When we're done splitting for the year I'll rake the stuff into piles and load it in plastic utility totes we got at Sams. Usually fills two totes. Park it in the shed or utility room, out of the way.

One tote can start a lot of fires. The stuff dries quickly and can be used the same season.

I use whatever is handy. Beer boxes, buckets, milk crates. I have a big plastic trash can that the lid broke on. I drilled holes in it for some air movement. It works well and holds lots of kindling. I was using the contractor trash bags. I just rolled the tops down a bit and stacked them, open, in the shed. The splitter trash poked some holes in the sides but not enough for them to rip apart.

scrap 2x4 cut into pieces (4) laid in the front corner of the stove. Firewood (6 or so) stack above the scraps. Mini torch rested so the tip is angle into the firebox with the door cracked open. Torch does the work and usually gets things going after a minute or so, of course this is if there are no hot coals left from the nite before

Went wood mining today

dug these guys up.....

attachment.php

Once I have a bunch more (some will need to be chained out) I will take the pressure washer to them, then cut them up. I know hedgerow wants some.

Real old timers used corn cobs for somethin different than startin fires :laugh:

They still work to start fires after drying for a few days, just recycle the recycled cobs.:D

I don't have corncobs, so I just grab a couple of big hands full out of the paper shredder basket, load up the stove with split wood, crack the ash door and light it up, starts like a blowtorch. Have to keep a close eye on it for a few minutes then close the ash door and good to go.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back