Fire wood length?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonestacker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey Guys
I am building a splitter and i need to know the standard length , the
norm , 16-20 24 inches? for my needs 14 inches, but i want it to be able
to split the standard size also! Thanks Bill.

I believe 16" is the "default" length, and the most common around here. I cut mine 24", my stove can do bigger, but the splits are getting hard to handle at that point. I've never seen anyone outside of an owner of a huge OWB cutting bigger.

Ours is 25 3/4" around here most people split 24" wood. It really might depend on the stroke of your cylindar.

Last edited:
I'd go 25" or 26" so ya got all the bases covered, in case you ever wanted to split bigger wood. Mine will take 30" for my give or take 24" wood that I cut for the OWB.:D

If you don't have a cylinder yet, then the above are all good answers. If you already have a cylinder, you are stuck with that. To calculate I use

Open length - closed lenght + about 2 ". I went more than that. I was aiming for a 21" stroke using an 18" cylinder but wound up with a 19". I slipped in adding up all the allowances somewhere.

You want to build for as long a stroke as you can, within reason, as you can always shorten it by using those clip on blocks to restrict the stroke lenght but you can't reasonably lengthen one.

Harry K

I'd make sure you can fit a 20" piece in there. I don't use bigger than 18" in mine, but if I ever get a new, larger stove that can fit 20", I want to be able to split that size.

Fire wood length

I ordered 4x18 inch stroke cylinder, i will only be splitting 14 inch untill
i get a bigger stove, so i will build it with a 21 in opening, if i have trouble
spliting a piece i will stick a piece of 2x4 behind it and finish it off.
Bill

If you build it so that the wedge is on the beam and not the cylinder, you can simply put the next round in and push the previous one through. Food for thought.

Ian

I ordered 4x18 inch stroke cylinder, i will only be splitting 14 inch untill
i get a bigger stove, so i will build it with a 21 in opening, if i have trouble
spliting a piece i will stick a piece of 2x4 behind it and finish it off.
Bill

you can just throw a piece of wood you already split behind to help finish it off if the piece is too long.

Twenty-four seems to be the market standard. It's always better to go bigger.

Hey Guys
I am building a splitter and i need to know the standard length, the
norm, 16-20 or 24 inches? Thanks Bill.
I try to cut all mine between 18 and 22 inches. The stove (Federal Airtight 288) handles a 24" log, but it's easier to load shorter ones. And, LOML does half the loading.

Most log splitter cylinders handle 26" or less, but remember, you rarely need to plunge the full length of the stroke.

Latest posts

Back