firewood cart

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatboycowen

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
One of the worst parts of having a wood stove (my first year) is bringing the wood into the basement, from the wood stack.
I keep a rack of wood in the basement. Maybe a week's worth of wood. Lately, iv'e been bringing the wood in by hand, or with a canvas bag. The pile isn't far from the door, but it really sucks.

I want one of those wood carts, with 2 wheels, similar to a hand truck. Tons are out there. Lots for like 60 or 70 bucks, but the reviews say that the wheels break off.

My basement door has a step up, maybe 8 inches. I can build temporary wooden ramps to use whenever i'm using the cart. But i think i need one that's fairly sturdy, to hold up to the abuse it will take.

I'd rather not spend too much.

Any recommendation?

To bring it in, down to the basement? Scrounge up a kids slide, lay it there, slide the wood down, take the slide away, go down and stack it?

I guess I wasn't clear enough. I have a walk out basement, and an 8 inch step up into the basement.

Oh wait, just the one step?? If so, just use a wagon and temp one step ramp. Just leave the wood in the wagon then. I have a quite sturdy one they sell for under 100 bucks at tractor supply. Has the expanded mesh sides and bottom, sides fold down if you need them to, convertible from pulling by hand to use a pin and pull with lawnmower. I think when I got it it was rated 1000 lbs, something like that. I've put a 20 gallon electric sprayer and a boat battery in it and towed it all over.

I hadn't thought of that.
I just went to TSC website. The carts get bad reviews, just like the hand truck things do. I may go check one out. This seems simpler.

That, I had thought of. I have a welder and am creative. Then I found the pre-made ones, which weren't expensive. But they are crap, apparently

I just went to TSC website. The carts get bad reviews, just like the hand truck things do. I may go check one out. This seems simpler.

If you get yourself a good quality dolly you can fab up your own wood-hauler pretty easy. I've used a TSC dolly to move an 800lb gun safe up and down 5 steps a couple times with no issues... you shouldn't be able to break the wheels off one of them with firewood unless you're trying to haul home your day's worth of logs with it ;)

I have one of those "nursery wagons" with the fold down sides , and I have to say I LOVE mine. I got mine for free about 5 years ago and it was whipped then. I havent done anything to mine other than beat the snot out of it. I have repeatedly loaded mine with wood and it has yet to let me down. I do plan on tearing it down and rebuilding it one of these days, until such time I will just work it like a rented mule.

Are you limited to a man door or do you have a roll up garage door?

I have a walkout basement with a garage door. I use a 10 cubic foot wheel borrow that has a black Polly tub and 2 wheels in front. I got it from TSC when it was on sale and it was about the same price of one of those 4 wheeled carts mentioned. I can bring in a 1/3 cord in 3 trips if I push it, and I have in the past and it seems to handle it just fine. The down side is you can't bass through a man door it's too narrow, you need to open the garage door...

I vote for the wagon (mesh) type. I had one for something like 10 years, moved it loaded with Black Locust using side boards to about 3' high. Probably overloaded. It did finally fail me due to a design flaw. The fix was a few minutes with a welder beefing it up. Even thowing it away would have been reasonable considering the amortized cost per year of it.

If you go that route, I suggest turning it upside down and inspecting the front end steering 'doings'. Weak spots will be immediately obvious.

Harry K

My wife got this one for me and I thought I'd never use it. Wrong! Like the OP I have 1 step to come into the walkout basement and this thing has been great. I keep about 1/3 of a cord outside the doors behind the cart. It's very easy to roll up the 1 step when loaded.The wheels are cheepo but it doesn't go far.image.jpg

Sweet. What brand is that one, if you know. That's what I'm leaning towards. I'm also wondering if the wheels and axle could be replaced.

Brand name unknown, but I think it cost about $40. I also thought about wheel/axle upgrade but have not needed to yet. It would be easy to do.

Latest posts

Back