firewood cart

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife got this one for me and I thought I'd never use it. Wrong! Like the OP I have 1 step to come into the walkout basement and this thing has been great. I keep about 1/3 of a cord outside the doors behind the cart. It's very easy to roll up the 1 step when loaded.The wheels are cheepo but it doesn't go far.View attachment 397405

Got one from Northern Tool a few years ago, for ~$40. Width of door opening just needs to accomodate split length. I load mine up to the tops of the tubes, and bring in one load per week. The OEM Chicom tubes lasted a year, but the HF replacements are doing fine.

Today I used mine out in the woods for hauling out shagbark hickory to my p/u. Rounds split in half to sit down in the cart, it handled 4 of those splits just fine over typical forest debris on frozen ground. For the price, go for it.

This is a carat I built last year. Ithe was my first year also. I used some cheap Harbor Freight wheels they like to break off where the bearings are passed into the plate that bolts to the wheel hub. I un-bolt the plate from the hub and weld it neck together. It's way stranger after. I hAve used it to haul a lot of weeks especially before I bought my tractor this year. Can't really say what I have into it but it's definitely worth what I have into it. I have like 6 steps to go down into my basement so the wheels get abused.

Attachments

• 20141024_090245.jpg
    20141024_090245.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 84
I am very happy with my aluminum Amish Firewood Cart.
The wheels are huge making it easier going through tough terrain.
And it's even smoother on flat surface.

What are your guys steps made of? Mine are cement, I just load the wheel barrel up and dump it down the stairs, from there the two girls 5&9 take over and stack it.

Get one of the two wheelers and weld up a heafter axel and put some good wheels on it.
I have one of those tractor supply mesh wagons that I had to redo all of the under carrige and weld up the wheels.

I use a HD plastic tubbed garden wagon from tractor supply. Mine works great and gets used all year. Fits through the door too.
I also have the same wagon/cart from TSC that I put high sides on, pull with the lawn tractor or by hand, supposed to be 1400lbs load. 2 loads will do me for a week.

I bought one of the cheaper mesh carts and used it for about 8 years till I wore it out. I then beefed it up and extended the racks. It'll go through a standard doorway and hold close to a 1/4 cord now but wouldn't recommend that much with a ramp. I'm on the flat with mine.

MVC-017F_9.JPG

MVC-011F_3.JPG

MVC-014F_1.JPG

MVC-015F_1.JPG

MVC-018F_16.JPG

MVC-016F_1.JPG

MVC-018F_17.JPG

here is a link to the redo.

http://imageevent.com/kevininohio/woodcart?n=0&z=2&c=4&x=0&m=24&w=0&p=0

I have a similar situation, and I just use a steel wheelbarrow to transfer from my pickup to the basement. About 8-10 trips will empty a heaped 8' pickup load (about 1/2 cord +/-)

I put a rough cut hemlock 2x12 down as a gangplank so the wheelbarrow can make it up the step.

My wife got this one for me and I thought I'd never use it. Wrong! Like the OP I have 1 step to come into the walkout basement and this thing has been great. I keep about 1/3 of a cord outside the doors behind the cart. It's very easy to roll up the 1 step when loaded.The wheels are cheepo but it doesn't go far.View attachment 397405

Sweet. What brand is that one, if you know. That's what I'm leaning towards. I'm also wondering if the wheels and axle could be replaced.

I have a very similar cart to that, and it's a Landmann brand. Been using it for a few years now, and it's been a nice back saver... I have not needed to replace anything yet.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017K651A...vptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_9q84ie2br8_e
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017K651A...vptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_9q84ie2br8_e

We stack our winters wood on the back porch. In the past, I have always just went out and grabbed an arm load or two when stoking the stove up for the night. This process has gotten old over the years as I've gotten older. Decided to purchase a handcart to make bringing the wood into the house easier. This also has the added benefit of allowing the wood to "pre-warm" before loading.

Did quite a bit of research on these carts and the biggest complaint with most of them was that they were cheaply built. Lots of reviews about nuts and bolts always coming loose. And a huge issue for us was that they were MADE IN CHINA. I searched hard and could only come up with one unit that appeared well made and was manufactured in the USA.

It is called the Woodhaven Firewood Cart, made by Alexander Manufacturing Co in Kansas. It is made entirely in the USA (except for the wheels), has a fully mig welded frame (no nuts and bolts), and has a lifetime warranty. The axle and wheels are heavy duty and the overall size of the cart is perfect for us. Not so big as to make it difficult to move and take up a lot of space in the house. The footprint of this cart is small yet it will hold enough wood to heat our home for two days. Another important point that my wife likes: This cart keeps the house much cleaner. Instead of making many trips out the backdoor and dropping little pieces every trip, one trip with the cart and it's done.

The only downside: It is about three times more expensive ($169) than the others made in China. I have owned lots of Chinese junk and have cursed them plenty. When you end up tossing them in the trash are they really cheaper? We are very happy with this cart and believe it will serve us well for many years. Here is a pic from another thread on AS (middle pic in post #1):
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/wife-has-good-taste-echo-cs-620p.269082/#post-5116455

Company:
http://www.alexandermfg.com/

Description:
https://firewoodracks.com/accessori...ven-Firewood-Cart/p/23507718/category=3582310

I have a couple rubbermaid bins, granted I have to go down 8 steps, landing then another 3. Do you concrete out your door? If so and only going on hard surfaces, a cheap appliance cart and rig up a cradle. They have slides above wheels that allow going down stairs a cinch. Plenty durable, you pay more but don't have to upgrade wheels, no flats. $119.00 from Lowes

053417032096.jpg

Latest posts

Back