Firewood cutting tips

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troopr1954

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Another newbie question...
I'm going to be bucking up about 8 cords of wood in the near future, and wondered if anyone has ideas or has used a crib-type set up to cut the logs in given lengths but raised up off the ground? I have back problems, and am trying to find a solution...I have some ideas but thought I'd ask the experts :)
Thanks,
Troopr1954

Used a crib made from 4X4s to cut smaller things on. It might be more work getting logs on the crib than cutting them where they lie. Might consider a log lifting tool. Kind of like a peevee, but with a spike in the side and a piece for lifting the log about 6-8 inches off the ground.

Hal

Wolfcsm said:
Might consider a log lifting tool. Kind of like a peevee, but with a spike in the side and a piece for lifting the log about 6-8 inches off the ground.
I have one of these (similar to the pic below), and it works pretty well. This one is from the Forestry Suppliers web site (www.forestrysuppliers.com):

1494_w2.jpg

I´m cutting all the logs and trunks on the ground turnig smaller subs with leg or hands. Seems faster and easier for me. If possible, combining the limbing and bucking into the single operation.

I have one as well. I modified it a bit.......
First issue is that there is a generous amount of lift, and not enough handle.
second issue was I broke off the spike.

First mod was to chop about 3" out of the lift, and re-drill the hole. Now you have less lift, but enough to keep the saw out of the dirt. This also made for better leverage with the handle.

Second mod was to use the hunk that I chopped out of the lift to add to the length of the hook. The final touch was to make a pair of "teeth" that got stuck on the end.

Works well.

West Texas said:
That timberjack is a neat idea; and, prevents hernia's too -- had five of those already. :cry:

Join the club, I had a recurrent one L4/L5, and have been in churgery two times. not funny.

Be carefull and buy every tool you can to make work easier, really. If it"s expensive, bare i mind that it only hurts once.

A hernia, removed or not, hurts forever.

Wolfcsm said:
...Big bar for reach - ???

Well today I was cutting small stuff on the ground. Then my back started hurting, so I got the big saw (32") and cut the rest while standing straight up. End of back problems!

A friend of mine uses the same thing for the same reason. When I told him I got the 32" saw, he said "Oh you are smart to get that bar right off the bat. I started with a 24", then figured out I would not have to bend as much with a 32" with I eventually got."

A good pickaroon takes the work out of any logging job, be it firewood, clearing or piece cutting. You can move wood around without any bending over.

Ive got my wood on utility poles so the bending is not bad.Ill be using my tractor with screw on forks to lift logs individually to get that just right height .I tried longer bars but had lots more sharpening to do after.

Billy Bob , I am phrasing this as a question not as a comment , but should you cut with the last 10-12" of a 32-36" bar? I am by no means a arborist or logger but more of a firewood guy / 2 stroke lover and this sounds dangerous to all but very skilled pro's. I have never ran a saw larger than my 041 with a 24" bar so this is a topic I no experience with.

Thanks, Jeff

JeffHK454 said:
Billy Bob , I am phrasing this as a question not as a comment , but should you cut with the last 10-12" of a 32-36" bar? I am by no means a arborist or logger but more of a firewood guy / 2 stroke lover and this sounds dangerous to all but very skilled pro's. I have never ran a saw larger than my 041 with a 24" bar so this is a topic I no experience with.

Thanks, Jeff

It'll be a sure fire way to discover what kick back is all about.

Just in case you're interested, I made a log jack out of 1'' black pipe and some 3/8 cold rolled. Had to weld a "spine" 12" long just above the hook, cause I bent it trying to lift a 12" red oak log 4' from the end. Mine is longer than standard, and the foot is larger to accomodate soft ground. Comes in very handy. Heavy though. Doesn't matter much cause I don't travel too far from the truck anyway. I hate to carry wood too far. Speaking of your back trouble, I have hip trouble and kneel when I cut if I can help it. For me, throwing the wood into the truck is much more aggravating than cutting it.

Latest posts

Back