Firewood Gathering: Tips of the Trade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dad gave my brother a 20' length of transport chain (grade 80) to use for logs. Now I have it. Works well and the feeling of security is nice. My brother has taken running starts with the truck and hit the end of that chain at about 15 mph. It will rip the bumper off the truck before it will break. Good stuff.

Also keep an eye out at yardsales for chain. In the fall my dad picked up 30' of 3/8 transport chain and 6 load binders for $30 for me:). The guy was a trucker that was retiring, and getting rid of his equipment.

I dont know if this works for chain but when winching with steel cable place an old blanket or floor mat over the taught winch line so that if it breaks the line will hit the ground under the weight and not fly up at anyone.

I have had good luck with mixing a small amount of Seafoam in with my saw fuel. My general rule is 1/2 the volume of the oil. This keeps the fuel fresh and cuts down on gummed up carbs and carbon build up.

If you don't have a second saw, always have an extra bar and chain. If your bar gets stuck you can unbolt the saw from the bar, bolt on the spare and cut out your stuck bar.

Good first post Kerf, welcome to A.S. .
Rep sent for good info.

Beefie

A 20 ft recovery strap is good to have: for getting your truck or someone elses out of a bog; also for securing winch line to a tree without damaging the tree.

A small pack with all usual gear for surviving: knife, fire, batteries, food, water, tarp, spare socks, wool cap, poncho, whatever else you like.

Drinking water and food in the pack or under truck seat. Like they teach you in Ranger School: 2 cans of tuna-in-oil at the bottom of your pack will taste like filet mignon when regular grub runs out and you're really hungry in the backwoods.

One can of inflate-a-flat and a 12 volt air compressor that works: can save a lot of time and trouble.

A plastic tarp for general use, or overnight shelter if your get stuck or broke down, or for putting tire chains on. Can also be handy when combined with sticks and rope to make a field splint on a broken limb (hopefully someone elses...). I recommend the "sportsman's space blanket" that has a silver side and a colored side: these have fiberglass reinforcements every 1/2 inch, last for years, good for keeping a child warm (and visible) if it starts raining while you're loading those heavy rounds, plus they seem to dig having it like a tent. Also nice as a picnic blanket if the misses is along on the trip. Beats sitting on wet ground. Or if you're covered in mud and sawdust, you put in on the truck seat to keep the upholstery a tad cleaner.

And always park your rig further away from the tree than it is tall. 'nuff said.

And always park your rig further away from the tree than it is tall. 'nuff said

I have seen this happen to a chainsaw also. You have to make sure the area is all clear around the drop zone.
Also remember a tree on the ground can roll when being bucked or limbed. I had one roll toward me when I was cutting the limbs & it was a close call!!!

And another thing: plastic wedges, at least 3. Six is even better. Buy ten and give some to your neighbor when he sticks his bar. Nice for fellin true, but really nice to unpinch bars.

I prefer a 3/4 Hudson Bay axe for tapping wedges and delimbing around the cut: more nimble than a felling axe. But stand off and reach out some to keep tha razor bit far from shins and feet.

Speaking of feet, since no one else mentioned it: steel-toed boots, safety glasses and hearing protection at all times. Cheap insurance. Cutting hard hat with built-in muffs and face screen is very nice; once you try one you'll always want it. And chaps do double duty when it's cold and wet.

Watch the tip, don't look down the bar, keep head to the side, and hold on like it's a mad rattlesnake. Cuz it is.

Best safety gear is 'tween the ears: Engage brain before saw chain.

A 20 ft recovery strap is good to have: for getting your truck or someone elses out of a bog; also for securing winch line to a tree without damaging the tree.

A small pack with all usual gear for surviving: knife, fire, batteries, food, water, tarp, spare socks, wool cap, poncho, whatever else you like.

Drinking water and food in the pack or under truck seat. Like they teach you in Ranger School: 2 cans of tuna-in-oil at the bottom of your pack will taste like filet mignon when regular grub runs out and you're really hungry in the backwoods.
One can of inflate-a-flat and a 12 volt air compressor that works: can save a lot of time and trouble.

A plastic tarp for general use, or overnight shelter if your get stuck or broke down, or for putting tire chains on. Can also be handy when combined with sticks and rope to make a field splint on a broken limb (hopefully someone elses...). I recommend the "sportsman's space blanket" that has a silver side and a colored side: these have fiberglass reinforcements every 1/2 inch, last for years, good for keeping a child warm (and visible) if it starts raining while you're loading those heavy rounds, plus they seem to dig having it like a tent. Also nice as a picnic blanket if the misses is along on the trip. Beats sitting on wet ground. Or if you're covered in mud and sawdust, you put in on the truck seat to keep the upholstery a tad cleaner.

And always park your rig further away from the tree than it is tall. 'nuff said.

Nice ideas, but "a can of tuna" !!! Not in my 'school' ; never called "school" anyway. Camp Elgin (Pensacola) you get nothing. Nada. Rien. Knife is it. " You will eat it ...sir ! " Another life gone long ago and far away.

Now, all to worry about is the saws, PPE, my butt, other drivers picking their toes in Pouchipsee (how the H do you spell it you NY crew?). Easy stuff to kill you in the woodland.

Thanks Beefie!

Two other things (sometimes it takes me a while to think of them if I dont have the saw in my hand):

1. I split by hand, for a base I use a larger round, but I dont cut the top flat, I cut it so it is a little high in the middle, the middle of the piece being split rests on the high point of the base and separates easier. It's a little easier than if the top of base was flat and a lot easier than if the top of the base was lower in middle, then the split kind of forces the pieces back together a bit.

2. When I'm felling a tree I first put downed limbs where the tree is going to fall so the tree will land on the limbs and all be off the ground, easier on the saw and the back. Dont have to sharpen as often.

One that I learned today...always bring sharpening files. Thought I'd be good just having two sharp chains...I definitely was not.

I've got a Mingo Marker

I like the looks of the Mingo Marker, but I cut wood to 20". When I checked, they didn't have a wheel for that size.

You think a bigger wheel could be cut down to 20"?

It might be easier to build up the radius of the 18" wheel by .318" to get
20" long pieces. You'll need a diameter of 6.366"

I like to buck on site and split off the trailer/truck when i get home.(off the truck).
Easier to put on the splitter than off the ground,one less time you have to handle the wood,the faster it's split the quicker it dries.
Mark

Back