Firewood Season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like you got some good work in front of you. Nice looking processor, I have never seen one in action, do they work well?

I did a bunch of cutting and splitting for the coming winter during this past winter, so I was actually able to finish getting everything set for next winter last week. So this week I started on making free firewood for family and friends. Split a trailer worth of ash on Sunday morning, with more to split once I deliver what I've done so far. Most of what I've got for the coming year is ash, shagbark hickory, and white oak, all of which are a big step up from the pine and box elder that made up 50% of this past winter's wood. I still have a face cord of maple that I cut and split in the fall of 2005, too, but it will probably get used in the outdoor fire pit this summer.

Sunday morning splitting:
Sunday_Morning_Firewood_2.jpg

Some after-work splitting (can you find the splitting block in the center of the pile?):
After_Work_Firewood.jpg

Started 2 weeks ago. Just clearing brush as it is too wet in the bottom to get the truck into it yet. Just had to get out and about and sniff some exhaust again. Hoping to lay down a medium size tree (maybe 20-24DBH) tomorrow or Wed.

Harry K

yes i think so. It`s not so heavy and easy to move around.
Lock at this video.
http://www.japa.fi/tiedostot/japa 300_2.wmv

I have one with electric motor.

ahh, its that kind of processor, one of my uncles has used that kind of quite a bit and he sayed its quite fast once you get hang of it.... But i myself prefer tractor driven quillotine type processor, alot faster for small wood that i make firewood from....

I wasn't planning on splitting wood so early, but my nextdoor neighbor had a huge silver maple dropped last week and he had the tree company put it right on the property line for me. I'll have enough wood for at least two seasons from this one tree. It was close to 5 feet across at the base and a good 70 feet tall.

That is how I spent my weekend.

Now I just need to figure out where in the yard to put it. I was already pretty well stocked up for next season with cherry, oak and locust.

I've got 3-4 cord split and stacked under the shed roof, another few or so blocked up and under cover awaiting the maul. Should have another 3-4 split and stacked by the beginning of May and that'll get me though this comming winter. The summer will be spent cutting and blocking for the '08-'09 season. The pile outside is poplar that I'll burn in a bonefire in the yard this summer. Not worth burning that crap in the house.

wood1.jpg

wood2.jpg

jim

il start probaply on the next week myself, got big pile of birch waiting for it...

http://koti.mbnet.fi/tuuni/rankoja.JPG

btw, that processor only cuts em with circlesaw, right?

Just .02 cent worth, make sure Birch is up off the ground, and covered, I have found that it is hard to keep Birch if it gets wet.

Nice set-up!

I cut and split one oak but decided to stop and build a new woodshed before doing more firewood. The shed will be a lean to, open on both sides 8 foot wide and 20 feet long, 7 to 8 foot tall back to front. Closed ends and a metal roof.

I actually have most of my wood for next year cut, split, and stacked. Im still bucking up some in the lot I have permission to cut in, but I will probably let it sit there until my log splitter and shed get done, Im out of room for wood unless I start filling the backyard, and my wife might have something to say about that. :help:

I haven't been able to start yet. There is still about 2 feet of snow in the woods where I get my firewood. It warmed up a week or so ago for a few days and we even got some rain so it started to melt pretty quick. The last few days have been cold and it's snowed a few times too! :(

t%e4ynn%e4%202.JPG

Thats around 25m^3 of nicely split ~35cm long firewood, 99% birch... around 6 hours worth of work...

Maybe I'll get started next week. I have to take a Maple tree down at my sisters to get to another tree that's pretty much dead and needs to come down. The dead tree is going to the curb, the Maple tree is going with me! ;)

Back