Firewood Season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay the guy's and gals in the PNW know about the kind of wind they had this year but it also came east of the rocky's! so I am cutting up lot's of wet wood new to me as I always take dead standing. But there is so much wind downed pine and spruce and poplar that I have 1/2 of next years wood cut and split.When I read the post's on here I really hate you yanks and easterners with all that hard wood! Just a joke wish I could put my saw in that stuff!

Firewood All In for Next Season

I have 3 wood stoves to heat my house. They are either used one at a time or all 3 at once depending on the heat required to stay warm. I usually burn 6 cords of wood per winter. I have 2.5 cords piled up beside the house. The remainder is stored around the perimeter of my garage. I built the garage 24 x 48 so I could keep track of the firewood easily. 4 cords. 1 on each end and 2 around the back.

I have 3 wood stoves to heat my house. They are either used one at a time or all 3 at once depending on the heat required to stay warm. I usually burn 6 cords of wood per winter. I have 2.5 cords piled up beside the house. The remainder is stored around the perimeter of my garage. I built the garage 24 x 48 so I could keep track of the firewood easily. 4 cords. 1 on each end and 2 around the back.
Ah a fellow Canuck! I have two in the house and one in the garage. Sound like you use the same system as me! But you can probably get better wood than me I am stuck with pine/spruce A little poplar or aspen. And I always have a small bit of birch for those -30 nights!

Almost done for 2007....

attachment.php
You get winter in Texas? how many night's does it drop below 32 degrees I am just buggy you nice stack of wood!

When I read the post's on here I really hate you yanks and easterners with all that hard wood! Just a joke wish I could put my saw in that stuff!

That 64' long rack in the picture of post #18 is 100% hickory, Austin1. :D

Our replies crossed in cyberspace. What are the odds?

We have winter here, it got down to the low 20s a time or two back in February. It even snowed some last Saturday. :)

Last edited:
That 64' long rack in the picture of post #18 is 100% hickory, Austin1. :D

Our replies crossed in cyberspace. What are the odds?

We have winter here, it got down to the low 20s a time or two back in February. It even snowed some last Saturday. :)
Strange it is! I saw that on new's about your snow last week! My Aunt live in California and she wines when it get's to 50

I have about 3 1/2 cords of ash, red oak, hickory, wild cherry and locust. I have about 5 or 6 more cords to cut to keep ahead for the year to follow. Here soon I will be tackling alot of locust and more oak.

. But there is so much wind downed pine and spruce and poplar that I have 1/2 of next years wood cut and split.When I read the post's on here I really hate you yanks and easterners with all that hard wood!

I hear ya. I'm originally from the west, so I haven't got the eastern point of view on it .... yet, but seriously, around here you have a hard time GIVING poplar away, and you can just about FORGET about giving pine away. My neighbor thinks I'm CRAZY to burn pine. The only reason I do is I have some on my property that has to be burned or hauled away. I wouldn't go a half mile to haul some home. It does make good kindling, but I can make kindling out of oak, too.

Got about 3 cords stacked for next year. Cut down 12 20-30 inch ash trees the other day. There is some type of disease killing alot of the ash around here. These trees were in an area about two hundred by on hundred feet long. There is probably twenty more to drop. Looks like I'll be busy this summer.

firewood

I have about a 40 yard dumpster of blocked up wood. 90% cherry too. Hey, can anybody give me a idea of what a 40 yard dumpster load is worth. I saw along time ago that Gypo logger got 1200 for one. or a 20 yarder. Thanks

Pics will come soon!

Got about 3 cords stacked for next year. Cut down 12 20-30 inch ash trees the other day. There is some type of disease killing alot of the ash around here. These trees were in an area about two hundred by on hundred feet long. There is probably twenty more to drop. Looks like I'll be busy this summer.

that would be the emerald ash borer

if you do cut those ash, don't take them back to your place
and risk infecting any ash trees on your property or any
neighboring properties

the emerald ash borer is a devastating problem in the
MN, WI, MI, IA, IL,, and OH area

Last edited:
Tnx.
The log house is from 1890 so its old to.
I have to fix the roof.Its giving up..

I made the wood storge to the right in the pic on a varm wekend and a couple of bears
made me company :)

Sorry for bad english...

Back