Firewood Sheds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shed.jpg

4'x12'x6.5' plus one rick under the 'eyebrow' comes to right at 3 cord unelss my math slipped again. I built that out of salvage lumber from a one room schoolhouse I tore down that adjoined me. I got the land by paying back taxes on it.

In this heat I am just playing at working. Put in just enough on the splitting pile to work up a sweat then move one of those trailers full from the dried stacks in the pasture into the woodshed each day I have some ambition. Just started that last week. About Sept I will put another 2 cord or a bit more into the back porch.

The stuff against the fence is just one of my many piles of 'shorts and uglies' - that one extends outt of the picture for another 9' feet piled 5' high. That plus the rest comes into the house one bucket at a time in shoulder season, should be gone about the end of hte first month of burning.

Hary K

Not huge but not small

Main wood shed is 8'x12'x6' the leanto is 7'x7'x6'

Sharp lookin' shed. If I built one like that they'd raise my taxes. Oh, wait. They already raised my taxes.

Harry, kind of beating a dead horse but you will notice most Ontarians usually state the measurements when they write cord because there are many different "standards" here. Lots of Amish around here sell wood lots of different sizes so you have to state what you want. To them a bush cord is 4'x 8'x 4' long pieces, they usually cut the wood to 4' lengths, split it in 4' lengths and then stack to cure. They later cut it to whatever length the customer wants using a buzz saw. Wood here is sold in every length available, 12", 16", 20", 22" and 48". The big bulk guys usually only sell 16" stuff but they also state the legth when selling. Most guys that have outdoor burners cut their own wood. My neice buys her wood from an amish neighbour, she tells them to fill her basement and give her the cost. 2 barefoot kids about 8 years old show up with a hay wagon full of split wood pulled by a team of horses. They stack the wood right in the basement and bring as many loads as it takes to fill the basement. The father or an older brother comes over, "counts" the wood and gives her the price and she pays it. Not sure how much she pays now but I know the 1st year she did it it worked out to $50 a face (4'x8'x16") and she never had to lift a hand. Price is usually $80 delivered here for that size.

After 2 years of stacking wood under tarps, I decided to construct a real wood shed. 36' wide 10' deep, 10'high at the back down to 8' at the front edge. Getting real close to installing an outdoor furnace on the right side under the shed roof. Never calculated exact cords under cover but it is stuffed end to end and top to bottom.

After 2 years of stacking wood under tarps, I decided to construct a real wood shed. 36' wide 10' deep, 10'high at the back down to 8' at the front edge. Getting real close to installing an outdoor furnace on the right side under the shed roof. Never calculated exact cords under cover but it is stuffed end to end and top to bottom.

Anyone willing to follow up this? Man, I'm going to just hang my head in shame at my open stacks.

248009d1344559924-dscn2877-jpg

i'm currently building one. i was all proud of it (8x15) until i saw the awesomeness that some of you guys have built! GEEZ

Harry, kind of beating a dead horse but you will notice most Ontarians usually state the measurements when they write cord because there are many different "standards" here. Lots of Amish around here sell wood lots of different sizes so you have to state what you want. To them a bush cord is 4'x 8'x 4' long pieces, they usually cut the wood to 4' lengths, split it in 4' lengths and then stack to cure. They later cut it to whatever length the customer wants using a buzz saw. Wood here is sold in every length available, 12", 16", 20", 22" and 48". The big bulk guys usually only sell 16" stuff but they also state the legth when selling. Most guys that have outdoor burners cut their own wood. My neice buys her wood from an amish neighbour, she tells them to fill her basement and give her the cost. 2 barefoot kids about 8 years old show up with a hay wagon full of split wood pulled by a team of horses. They stack the wood right in the basement and bring as many loads as it takes to fill the basement. The father or an older brother comes over, "counts" the wood and gives her the price and she pays it. Not sure how much she pays now but I know the 1st year she did it it worked out to $50 a face (4'x8'x16") and she never had to lift a hand. Price is usually $80 delivered here for that size.

How many of those "different standards" are actually recognized in a regulation? Here there are also a lot of 'different standards' - none of them meeting legal requirements. The use of the Cord avoids all the "how much is a bush cord". Cord here (and I believe in Canada) _is_ the industry standard and should be used.

I realize I am also beating a dead horse but will continue pointing out how rediculouis it is to use those odd measures.

Harry K

Harry, good luck teaching the Amish anything new. Sure they use cell phones and Blackberrys and drive vans but they are resistant to change. PS< I've never seen a firewood cop around these parts. We're pretty laid back around here, there is enough guys selling wood that if you short someone or rip someone off you are going to be out of the business pretty quick. Maybe around the cities there might be a problem but not here. They look at the firewood bundles infront of gas stations and compare the prices I'll bet but on any volume of wood there isn't an issue.

Outdoor wood furnace location

Getting real close to installing an outdoor furnace on the right side under the shed roof.
I want to install an outdoor furnace in the right side of my wood shed. It is 175' to the boiler in my house. Would having the outdoor unit under the shed roof with all the wood so close be a problem? There would be walls on either side of the furnace with
1'6" of clearance. I feel the furnace would be more efficient being under cover and would also prolong the life of the unit. Your thoughts?

I want to install an outdoor furnace in the right side of my wood shed. It is 175' to the boiler in my house. Would having the outdoor unit under the shed roof with all the wood so close be a problem? There would be walls on either side of the furnace with
1'6" of clearance. I feel the furnace would be more efficient being under cover and would also prolong the life of the unit. Your thoughts?

I can walk up and touch every part of my OWB except for the door when its in operation and its not super hot, just hot enough that you don't want to be touching it. You will lose more heat to the ground than having the unit sit outside.

I'm considering doing something very similar to this but I'm a little concerned as to how much longer it will take for the splits that are buried in the back to dry. Thoughts??

For me, that pile would probably be a 2 year supply...so by the time I got to the back they would be "just right".

I don't think that would be a problem and having a wind break does seem to help. It would also be nice not getting rained or snowed on while loading I suppose but mine is still outside past 20 years now.

I used to keep my fire wood in the pole barn. but the barn filled up with a antique car, farm tractors, lawn tractors, working lawn tractors, ATV and bee keeping equipment so there just isn't room any longer. Last fall it looked like this out side the walk out. I do keep a couple weeks worth stacked in the furnace room.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

:D Al

Latest posts

Back