Firewood Showdown: MAC 10-10 A vs. STIHL MS290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woul like to attend the next GTG on this coast and bring a few clams. Missed the one up north last year.

I missed it too. My diesel Ford (which IS heavy and slow....LOL) broke down on the way up to it. Unfortunately, the 'when and where' for the next GTG in our area is up in the air. The fine fellow who hosted the last few GTG's probably won't be able to host the event this year. Life gets in the way of fun far too often. Hopefuly, we'll get something going. An AS member near me has a good friend with land and wood in the Cazadero area (historic logging area here). We talked about getting something going last spring, but it never came together. Hopefuly we'll get something going.

Dang, ya'll still squaking over this?

I shouldnt post this picture as I'll probably never live it down, but this shows that I have owned some Stihls, including a 029 Super.

This was the last time I owned it as well and it was gone shortly afterwords as I then bought my first brand new Husqvarna.

attachment.php

Dammit. Photobucket won't let me upload this blackmail photo into my album. Just gotta save it in a PM to myself...................for future reference....:hmm3grin2orange:

May be some Homelite Super XL-925 against an 044/046 action... pretty close match, <10cc's and 4000rpm difference with the Stihl getting the nod on RPM and the Homey on HP.... what do you say??:hmm3grin2orange:

May be some Homelite Super XL-925 against an 044/046 action... pretty close match, <10cc's and 4000rpm difference with the Stihl getting the nod on RPM and the Homey on HP.... what do you say??:hmm3grin2orange:

I have a nice SXL-925 coming to me soon. Will have to see how fresh it is. Also have an XL903 that I'm going to completely rebuild. New P/C are already here. That saw is waiting in line behind a few other projects. Need the time, and gotta spend the $$$ on seals, bearings, and gaskets. May actually paint that one. I know my McCulloch SP-81 would make full use of the additional 10cc if I put it against an 044, especially if they were both wearing 32" bars and cutting big wood.:D

Last edited:
I'd like to see that matchup with a Pro Mac 700 and 800/850 thrown in to the fight too. I always wondered how one of those Macs would compare with a 044 and 046.

my 2 cents

Dont own and have never run a ms290. do own and run a 10-10 a. Some one mentioned how a 10-10 would stack up against a husky 455. That i can shed some light on.
For last couple years my buddy and I have cut together just about evey weekend from fall to spring. I use mostly my 10-10( one of my 30 chainsaws) and he bought and uses a 455 and 460. Both his 455 and my 10-10 were 20 inch bars and full comp chisel chain. his has the husky chain and mine wears some nos laser in 3/8 x 50. for first couple tanks my 10-10 hands down out cut the 455 int the oak cherry and hickory weve been cutting for the last couple years. After his 455 got broke in it runs neck and neck with my 30 something year old 10-10 that has 123# comp cold. We dont do stop watches but we cut next to each other in informal races for laughs. The dif between the 2 is close to nil where speed is concerned. also when the temp gets below bout 10 degrees my mac is noticable easier to start.
Now the negative. My mac is MUCH louder. Cutting next to each other earl claims he can here his 455 over the 10-10. Then there is the antivibe question. The husky is more comfortable to run no question. Like holden a pillow compared to my old 10-10 buz box lol. Also as the temp changes the husky seems to not need carb ajusting to compensate to the degree that my mac does.
Now the subjective. We both agree the 10-10 is more nimble feeling and less bulky feeling when limbing. The husky feels like it has smother power delivery when cutting in general. We both agree the mac feels like it has more purre grunt when you lean on it with the bar buried.
Just my 2 cents

no 044/46

I can cover the XL-925, ain't got a 044/046..........................you?
Igpoe:cheers:

Dont own and have never run a ms290. do own and run a 10-10 a. Some one mentioned how a 10-10 would stack up against a husky 455. That i can shed some light on.
For last couple years my buddy and I have cut together just about evey weekend from fall to spring. I use mostly my 10-10( one of my 30 chainsaws) and he bought and uses a 455 and 460. Both his 455 and my 10-10 were 20 inch bars and full comp chisel chain. his has the husky chain and mine wears some nos laser in 3/8 x 50. for first couple tanks my 10-10 hands down out cut the 455 int the oak cherry and hickory weve been cutting for the last couple years. After his 455 got broke in it runs neck and neck with my 30 something year old 10-10 that has 123# comp cold. We dont do stop watches but we cut next to each other in informal races for laughs. The dif between the 2 is close to nil where speed is concerned. also when the temp gets below bout 10 degrees my mac is noticable easier to start.
Now the negative. My mac is MUCH louder. Cutting next to each other earl claims he can here his 455 over the 10-10. Then there is the antivibe question. The husky is more comfortable to run no question. Like holden a pillow compared to my old 10-10 buz box lol. Also as the temp changes the husky seems to not need carb ajusting to compensate to the degree that my mac does.
Now the subjective. We both agree the 10-10 is more nimble feeling and less bulky feeling when limbing. The husky feels like it has smother power delivery when cutting in general. We both agree the mac feels like it has more purre grunt when you lean on it with the bar buried.
Just my 2 cents

...and a fine 2 cents it is, my friend. I have owned a few Huskys in my day (including a 460R), and if I DIDNT have my 10-10 (which is almost always in the back of my truck...lol), I would prefer to have a Husky over a Stihl anyday. They seem to make higher torque saws compared to many of the newer manufacturers. A MAC and a Husky - that's a duo that will equal success every day, every time.

You fellas have got me wondering about how many such tests can be won by old saws over much newer models. I've got an old KB7-B 2 man Merc, (Model Profile: KB7-B) that is supposed to be 12HP with a max of 4k rpm using a tranny ratio of 2.57 to 1. It weighs well over 100lbs with bar and chain,etc. Could it cut through a 40" dry oak as fast as a SP125, an 090 ? How about against a 3120XP, or a MS880? Anybody ever seen any comparisons of this nature? I bet we could stir some major arguments over these things.
I'm of the opinion that torque will RULE if and only if, it is applied properly. This is not to imply that a gear-drive saw will outcut a direct in each and every test, obviously it won't.
Igpoe:cheers:

I have never held (or even seen in person) a 100 lb chainsaw, so first of all - you are a beefy, beefy man if you're swingin' that thing around in the woods!!! LMAO! Kudos to you. I HAVE, however, operated an 090 - and while I don't like many of Stihl's smaller, "consumer" saws - their high-power saws for felling an big wood conditions really are excellent. The 090 is a beast. I just ran a SP125C the other day for the first time, and MAN - that thing is just an animal of a saw. I love that thing. With 123 cc's of raw power, I'm pretty sure it could cut a house in half if it could handle a 40' bar. LOL! OK...maybe that's a bit of an exageration, but it gets the point across. I would LOVE to see your 100lb ball buster sometime, and I'd love to see it thrown into a race with maybe the 090 and a SP125. That would be smokin' (probably literally). :rock:

MM, The saw I speak of is a two-man saw. The one dude that can run it by himself would be terrible to behold.
I gpoe:cheers:

Just my 2 cents
My 10-10 was the first saw I ever bought. # of us had a wood business during the oil embargo of the early 70's. The Mac was our main saw. Used 30 weight oil for mix. Cut a tremendous amount of wood. In fact where we cut is now a small Mall area in Plymouth. HD is there. Anyway I've cut with my brother's MM029 for almost 20yrs. I'm of the same opinion. I couldn't say there's any great difference. Both excellent firewood saws. What's the beef? We must be getting desperate for topics for Threads.

Smartass. Way to throw in a red hearing Poge.

Yeah, my ears were flat out bleeding pretty much all the way through this one.:msp_biggrin:

Nobody invited you in here. If you don't like the discussion, get the frock out. Take yer trollin' somewhere else.....:D

I WILL expect an RSVP for any of the 37,000 or so outstanding rimshots I may still have to offer in threads like these as my chase to equal the supreme prowess of the Nordic legend relentlessly continues.

:ices_rofl:

Now about my 310 taking the neighbor's Timberbear to the woodshed and having just a little too much fun spankin' it around while his Eager Beaver just ran away in tears...

:chainsaw:

Ok. I'll go now.

:cheers:

Poge

that make you and me ..... ABBY-NORMAL??:msp_wink:

-Now that brain that you gave me. Was it Hans Delbruck's?

-No.

-Ah! Very good. Would you mind telling me whose brain I DID put in?

-Then you won't be angry?

-I will NOT be angry.

-Abby someone.

-Abby someone. Abby who?

-Abby... Normal.

-Abby Normal?

-I'm almost sure that was the name.

-Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a seven and a half foot long, fifty-four inch wide GORILLA? Is that what you're telling me?:D

Yeah, my ears were flat out bleeding pretty much all the way through this one.:msp_biggrin:

I WILL expect an RSVP for any of the 37,000 or so outstanding rimshots I may still have to offer in threads like these as my chase to equal the supreme prowess of the Nordic legend relentlessly continues.

:ices_rofl:

Now about my 310 taking the neighbor's Timberbear to the woodshed and having just a little too much fun spankin' it around while his Eager Beaver just ran away in tears...

:chainsaw:

Ok. I'll go now.

:cheers:

Poge

Okay, but Albert and Grundoon can stay. :D

LOL...I don't race saws. I use mine to make a livin'. Even on a slow day, I'm pretty quick to slice through a log (time is money). That was just a competition between friends, and on a whim at that. I'm sure your 3400 is plenty o' muscle. Tell ya what, tho - I have a pretty solid 076 AV S (111 cc's), and a MAC 250 (80 cc's) that I'll be bringing to a GTG here in MI. If you can get ur hands on some muscle, maybe we can meet up there and have a show down. :rock:

I would bring my homelite 450 I just bought over the weekend for ten bucks Haha. I use saws to make money everyday too... I work for a tree service in goshen

Back