Firewood stacks from Google Earth

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cat10ken

cat10ken

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
Spidey, I know you said you didn't get out to cut this past winter because of the deep snow and cold but I didn't have that problem. I have a John Deere 540B skidder and when it wasn't below zero and I was able to get it started, I could plow myself a landing on my neighbors farm and drag maple tops from a timber sale he had. I would drag tops for a couple hours and then I could cut for three of four days. I generally work alone and hand split most everything but some of those big maple logs needed to be ripped. I would bring a big pickup load home every day and stack it on the hill behind my house. I was doing some measuring the other day and figured if my stacks were piled in one long row, 5' high, I would have a pile 576' long. That would be 30 full cord I cut ,split and stacked mostly by myself. (Sometimes my wife would feel sorry for me and help me stack) I am 64 years old and retired so I can work at it whenever the weather is favorable. I hope I get Google Earth to Photo my piles this year, it doesn't happen every year out here in the sticks of Wisconsin! Oh, the brother-in-law showed up once in a while and I would help him with his firewood too. He got about 12 full cord, so I got a good workout this past winter while you were packing on the pounds. I hope you take care of all that ails you, I enjoy your commentary.

zogger

zogger

Tree Freak
Spidey, I know you said you didn't get out to cut this past winter because of the deep snow and cold but I didn't have that problem. I have a John Deere 540B skidder and when it wasn't below zero and I was able to get it started, I could plow myself a landing on my neighbors farm and drag maple tops from a timber sale he had. I would drag tops for a couple hours and then I could cut for three of four days. I generally work alone and hand split most everything but some of those big maple logs needed to be ripped. I would bring a big pickup load home every day and stack it on the hill behind my house. I was doing some measuring the other day and figured if my stacks were piled in one long row, 5' high, I would have a pile 576' long. That would be 30 full cord I cut ,split and stacked mostly by myself. (Sometimes my wife would feel sorry for me and help me stack) I am 64 years old and retired so I can work at it whenever the weather is favorable. I hope I get Google Earth to Photo my piles this year, it doesn't happen every year out here in the sticks of Wisconsin! Oh, the brother-in-law showed up once in a while and I would help him with his firewood too. He got about 12 full cord, so I got a good workout this past winter while you were packing on the pounds. I hope you take care of all that ails you, I enjoy your commentary.

That's a pretty decent amount! A skidder makes a heckuva decent firewood tool.

Ironworker

Ironworker

Addicted to ArboristSite
That's pretty cool, every year I stack my wood differently, one year I made one stack that was 3 rows wide and about 100' long and it meandered along the stream in the back of the house and that is the image that google earth uses, every time I show people my property they always ask, "what's that crooked line"

Jere39

Jere39

Outdoorsman and Pup
. AS Supporting Member.
Can't really see my stacks in this summer picture, they are under the canopy on the left end of the picture. But, there is a clear view of my strategic reserves, which I keep on the hoof surrounding my house:

satellite+view+home.jpg

jrider

jrider

Addicted to ArboristSite
My rows, not stacks, can be seen pretty well but I'm not smart enough to figure out how to put them up here

zogger

zogger

Tree Freak
My rows, not stacks, can be seen pretty well but I'm not smart enough to figure out how to put them up here

Get your image how you like it at google. Right click, save image as..whatever ya want to call it..to folder of your choice. Now, in a post or reply, use the "upload a file" button, follow the prompt to browse to the folder on your computer, select the image file, click Ok. It will upload. It's up as an attachment in seconds usually. Enter the post..