Firewood thieves...gonna be a bad year

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a sign in my front window "Trespassers Will Be Shot, Survivors will Be Shot Again"

Cute, until a prosecutor shows it to a jury to make you out to be a blood-thirsty gun-nut wannabe who was just waiting for a chance to shoot somebody.

I doubt there's any real deterrent value. Not worth the legal risk to me.

I have the same thing on my cellar door window.
Mines small enough though, that you have to be tresspassing to read it :)

I have a 100 lb. named Sam. He knows who shouldn't be here and he'll let them know it.

I think you should keep the chain down so you'll get a chance to catch him with your alarm system. Make the alarm system so he can't hear it so he'll get a load and you can catch him red handed. I'd love to see him go to jail.

If it was the guy that you talked to he might not be back. He probably has a clue that you're on to him but then again thieves tend to be stupid.

We have a large pile of dry cut and split by the road, I am shocked no one has touched it. I did lose an antique Peavey that I left out in the open, too bad as it was grand pa's.

i have been a little concerned myself, the driveway behind the barn goes right to the wood pile, and i cant see it from the house! I had a guy last week come to the house to buy $20 of firewood paid for it and not only did he take the 2-$10 stacks but he took the 2-$20 stacks also! I asked the babysitter if she ever seen the guy before and she said she hadnt. It kind of p:censored: ed me off because the camp fire wood is the wood ($$$$) i give to my kids for helping.

My stuff sits far from the road. I like those game cameras they sell for taking pictures of crooks. I hear that if you get one that runs on solar panels, it's pretty economical. If you have to buy batteries, it can be a killer.

Had some stolen last year. I read somewhere where a guy placed some .22 construction loads under the bark of some firewood that kept getting stolen. After a while, his wood stopped disappearing.

If it happens again this year that is what I will do too. Nothing more upsetting than coming home and seeing a car load gone and nobody seen anything...:cry:

Had some stolen last year. I read somewhere where a guy placed some .22 construction loads under the bark of some firewood that kept getting stolen. After a while, his wood stopped disappearing.

If it happens again this year that is what I will do too. Nothing more upsetting than coming home and seeing a car load gone and nobody seen anything...:cry:

Hope you don't have a poor memory and accidentally pop a live round into your firebox.

You can't see mine from the road and only a few other on my street burn. So, I've never had a problem.

Someone I work with just lost almost 2 face. He cut all day Sunday and dumped the load in his driveway. He went to work Monday and when he came home it was gone. His neighbor said that someone backed a truck into his driveway and loaded it up. The neighbor said the guy was so non-chalant about it, he figured my co worker had given it to him.

Some people are real pieces of :censored: .

damn....being from rochester myself i guess i better keep an eye on my wood.

Hope you don't have a poor memory and accidentally pop a live round into your firebox.

Not a live round, just the shell casing, and no I do not have a poor memory when it would come to that. Everything that has disappeared has been closest to the driveway and road, the greenest stuff I have.

Well, I'll throw this story in before supper. Get this:

Last year a "friend" of mine offered to store five truckloads of big mixed hardwood rounds that I had cut up, provided he could split a truckload for himself. I agreed and said that it might be a cold winter and that would be our reserve. And, by early spring, it would be nicely seasoned and ready to burn.

Lo and behold, I was running out of dry wood last March and called him up and asked if we could tap the reserve and split a couple of loads to get through the winter.

Here's what he said: "Well, Edwin, I was running a little short on cash, so last month I split all that wood and sold it to a farmer about 30 miles north of here. It's all gone. I'm sure you can find some more somewhere." :censored:

What do you all do to protect your crop?

I have a covered stack that is accessable to anyone that wants to steal urine soaked Cataulpa and soured Cottonwood. I have given up on worrying about protecting it. The best I hope for is they remember where it came from and stay away from the better wood piles.

Do you guys have the alarm mine there?
They are sold in the UK for booby trapping motorcycle sheds etc.
Basically they are a cast metal block that holds a 12g base filled with a small charge of black powder, there is a small metal firing pin that is pulled out and turned 45 deg and attached to a tripwire.
when the thief trips the wire it fires the bp shell and hopefully the thief leaves the scene with a pair of soiled underpants and an attitude adjustment.

Do you guys have the alarm mine there?
They are sold in the UK for booby trapping motorcycle sheds etc.
Basically they are a cast metal block that holds a 12g base filled with a small charge of black powder, there is a small metal firing pin that is pulled out and turned 45 deg and attached to a tripwire.
when the thief trips the wire it fires the bp shell and hopefully the thief leaves the scene with a pair of soiled underpants and an attitude adjustment.

our government doesn't think we're responsible enough to have that here.

Not gonna do much.

• He's only talking about a construction load. Basically a blank.
    <br>
  • Even with real ammunition, there's nothing to direct the bullet, nothing to hold the gasses behind it and make it move. They pop out, and go maybe a few feet at most. Inside a stove, nada.

:::: DISCLAIMER::::::::
I do not advocate the following I accept NO responsibility for anyone trying the below mentioned suggestion.

there now that's out of the way.. here is my thought... and it sure would be nice... take a couple rounds or splits... drill a pocket into them and fill them with some black powder or some flash powder and them plug the hole but not too tightly... or fill the void with the contents of a rather nasty stink device that when burned produces lots of smoke and a powerful stench...
NOT THAT I WOULD DO THAT OR ADVOCATE THAT...
(but it sure would put a smile on the face):fart: :fart: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Back