Firewood thieves...gonna be a bad year

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you guys have the alarm mine there?
They are sold in the UK for booby trapping motorcycle sheds etc.
Basically they are a cast metal block that holds a 12g base filled with a small charge of black powder, there is a small metal firing pin that is pulled out and turned 45 deg and attached to a tripwire.
when the thief trips the wire it fires the bp shell and hopefully the thief leaves the scene with a pair of soiled underpants and an attitude adjustment.

LOL , wouldnt that be a hoot ! I dont think these are available for sale here in the states. It resembles a 'man-trap' far to much which is quite illegal. But even if it is not for sale it wouldnt take a great deal to fashion something to work just as effective without causing bodily injury to the night crawler. That is unless he was to fall down or was run over by his buddy getting out of there.

Heh , heh ,heh I can see setting these up with every other piece on the top of the stack conected to its own percussion device. About a foot of slack in the trip should be about right. They just about get it off the stack , it goes off by their hand. They throw it in the air landing on thier car or themself. :confused:

One thing about boiling excrement, it has a smell that you don't soon forget,

:::: DISCLAIMER::::::::
I do not advocate the following I accept NO responsibility for anyone trying the below mentioned suggestion.

there now that's out of the way.. here is my thought... and it sure would be nice... take a couple rounds or splits... drill a pocket into them and fill them with some black powder or some flash powder and them plug the hole but not too tightly... or fill the void with the contents of a rather nasty stink device that when burned produces lots of smoke and a powerful stench...
NOT THAT I WOULD DO THAT OR ADVOCATE THAT...
(but it sure would put a smile on the face):fart: :fart: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I had a friend do this. He kept loosing wood. He drilled a piece and filled it with powder and capped it. It was taken. A couple of days later the cops showed up. They asked him if he was trying to kill someone with his firewood. He said what do you mean. They told them they had a report of a piece of wood that mad a mess of a fireplace that came from his pile. He told them wow thanks for letting me know. Somebody must be trying to get me. He told them he didn't sell wood so if there was a piece of wood like that in his pile it must have been meant for him. Then he asked them how did that guy get the wood from my pile? Conversation ended there and never had a problem again.

Scott

End of two winters ago, I cut a nice oak off a field edge and didn't have time to get it out before the farmer put the crop in. I figured I'd get it in the fall. One morning I get a call from the farmer where I used to cut and he said he'd started on that field the previous afternoon and then went to another field down the road. When he came back by, there was a truck making its way over by the wood. He went and ran them off. I went out the morning he called me and got the wood. He was still combining out the corn.

There were other stacks that I had around that field edge but it was the only one that could be seen from the road. And that was only with the crops down. They must have seen it in the spring and waited all summer for a chance to grab it.

Most thieves are too freakin lazy to steal wood I do have some special
tricks for my other stuff though. Land mines are effective deturents
for lazy no good wastes of air thieves!

LAND MINES, Remind me to call and have you meet me somewhere if i ever make it to your place. LOL

MoreMines.jpg

I had a friend do this. He kept loosing wood. He drilled a piece and filled it with powder and capped it. It was taken. A couple of days later the cops showed up. They asked him if he was trying to kill someone with his firewood. He said what do you mean. They told them they had a report of a piece of wood that mad a mess of a fireplace that came from his pile. He told them wow thanks for letting me know. Somebody must be trying to get me. He told them he didn't sell wood so if there was a piece of wood like that in his pile it must have been meant for him. Then he asked them how did that guy get the wood from my pile? Conversation ended there and never had a problem again.

Scott
It was probably a cop that stole his wood?

LAND MINES, Remind me to call and have you meet me somewhere if i ever make it to your place. LOL

MoreMines.jpg

if only we could... and we could defend out property by means necessary.. i bet crime rate would drop like a stone.:cheers:

I sell some bundles out of my front yard. I live real close to a campground. About 11 pm one night I went out to the truck to get something. No lights on just moonlight. Heard some talking coming from the road so I just stood quiet. Heard some kids talking about taking some wood, I could just barely see them. They walked up and checked my honor system can for money then grabbed a bundle. I took a few steps then they saw me and ran. I jumped in my truck to chase them. Found my bundle in the middle of the road but no kids. They must have taken off thru the corn. Got home and fired a few warning shots with the 410 into the air. Havent had a problem since. Now when I see the same kids walking during the day they wave and say hi. Little sh*ts.

Wood Stealin'

Although I agree with the Hanging, Just remember it would be difficult to articulate in court why you seriously hurt someone for stealing your firewood. Also keep in mind if you did mess someone up there would be shyster attorneys lined up around the block to take your victim's case. My suggestion is to use your noggin and create multiple ways to make it hard to steal so that the effort required to steal your wood is greater than going elsewhere and finding easier pickings. 1. keep it inaccesible to motor vehicles(fences, chains, large rocks) 2. keep it out of plain view to passing traffic 3. Lights! 4. keep it in your bedroom, that way if someone comes to steal it, you now may shoot and kill them.(kindly dispose of their carcass in the OWB):)

Last edited:
Not gonna do much.

• He's only talking about a construction load. Basically a blank.
    <br>
  • Even with real ammunition, there's nothing to direct the bullet, nothing to hold the gasses behind it and make it move. They pop out, and go maybe a few feet at most. Inside a stove, nada.

Exactly. You can lay a 22 round in a frying pan and all pieces will be in the pan when the noise stops. Basically all that happens is that the case splits and the bullet may move a few inches.

Harry K

set up one of those cameras they use for hunting. then you have pictures of any activity.

Someone might have already mentioned this, didn't read the whole thread, but those cameras do flash. The turd would instantly know that his pic had been taken and by what. You'd just lose your wood AND your camera.

Ian

SOB's....that's taking food out of your family's mouth....I have two lab mixes that are really good watch dogs...but have thought about turning my outside spot light into one with a motion sensor...I think this is something that will get worse with time...Just like stealing gas out of peoples cars..that's on the rise...we need to go back to the wild west...just my 2 cents..

Steve

Wood thieves, should be dealt with the same way they used to deal with horse thieves, with rope, lead or with :chainsaw:

Someone might have already mentioned this, didn't read the whole thread, but those cameras do flash. The turd would instantly know that his pic had been taken and by what. You'd just lose your wood AND your camera.

Ian

The better ones use infrared. No visible flash.

Lawyers and law is biased to protect criminals instead of victim.
It is little wonder as; the prerequisites for being a politician seem
to be the ability to be a criminal and not be caught. I like old law,
law of the land so to speak and while I likely would not wish to take
life of some young kid for stealing gas, I would for his father
lifting one of my saws etc. The only reason it happens is; law seems
to care more about other matters than the victimizing of honest citizens.
This may be because, politicians need a way out for doing so! I feel
force should be legal to protect your property from thieves and ?.
I have posted signs at my gate and if you are down at my house
you are breaking the laws of my land and I am the judge, jury and
executioner of my land. I had a police officer come down my driveway
one time I met him in full cammo asked him if he could read english
and informed him he was breaking law. I don't care if you are a cop,
law is law; I told him I have a phone call me if you need on my property
and then you may not get in the way of my log truck! :laugh:

Last edited:
how about a wireless infrared net cam they have them that just sit there and you can watch and record it on your computer. and if you use the motion sensing lights get one that makes noise when it goes off...

I feel like you, haven't gotten as far as the signs, yet! Did you ever look into how the legal system views your laws?

I'm of the opinion if someone is on my property or in my house uninvited then they have surrendered all their rights! but I'm afraid the British legal system has other ideas.

Cheers

:cheers:

You don't live anywhere near ruby ridge do you?

Back