Firewood thieves...gonna be a bad year

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, that would suck, especially in the dark!
I imagine one way to foil the thing though would be to throw some plywood over the thing.
Of coarse, i reckon a smart thief would think of the same thing, bringing me back to square one again....
Havent run into a lot of smart thieves yet though, especially wood thieves...

I had a friend do this. He kept loosing wood. He drilled a piece and filled it with powder and capped it. It was taken. A couple of days later the cops showed up. They asked him if he was trying to kill someone with his firewood. He said what do you mean. They told them they had a report of a piece of wood that mad a mess of a fireplace that came from his pile. He told them wow thanks for letting me know. Somebody must be trying to get me. He told them he didn't sell wood so if there was a piece of wood like that in his pile it must have been meant for him. Then he asked them how did that guy get the wood from my pile? Conversation ended there and never had a problem again.

Scott
did either of the cops have a fireplace????? uh huh-------

I imagine one way to foil the thing though would be to throw some plywood over the thing.
Of coarse, i reckon a smart thief would think of the same thing, bringing me back to square one again....

Just throw some small brush and leaves over it and it's camo'd. Plywood is the quickest way over it .I don't think this thing would be practical anyway,it's expensive and like a speed bump. :rolleyes:

If they came prepared enough to bring a sheet of plywood they must have been stuck there once before. I doubt an 8 ft sheet of 1/2 inch plywood will support a PU going across a 30" span, 3/4 might. 2 ft deep should be enough to keep the front tires of a 4wd from getting traction. On a cold still night you'd hear them a mile away cursing, spinning the wheels trying to get out before they got caught. I'd have to laugh if I that. Especially when I saw them with the cab of the truck full of ill-gotten booty.

Pit across the Private road

We dug 2- 4' deep x4' long pit in a private drive we no longer used that was 150 yds inside the property line. We also posted signs and stung a barbed wire fence. The idiots cut the fence and drove in with their dirt bikes headlong into the pit and busted up the bikes. They threatened to sue since we had place a hazard on OUR property and it was not adequately marked, Hogwash.
Anyway lawyers got their way and WE ended up paying for repairs to their trespassing bikes. Every time we go to property we shoot our guns at targets. When we see a person on the property we tell them we often shoot at anytime and we know where our people are, but we do not know where trespassers are and if they get injured too bad for them.

On another side note: a neighbor got tired of snowmobilers running around his house in circles. He took his rifle and destroyed the engine. He was forced to buy the guy a new snowmobile or face jail.

Just be sure your potential targets or thieves don't turn you into a victim in return.

We dug 2- 4' deep x4' long pit in a private drive we no longer used that was 150 yds inside the property line. We also posted signs and stung a barbed wire fence. The idiots cut the fence and drove in with their dirt bikes headlong into the pit and busted up the bikes. They threatened to sue since we had place a hazard on OUR property and it was not adequately marked, Hogwash.
Anyway lawyers got their way and WE ended up paying for repairs to their trespassing bikes. Every time we go to property we shoot our guns at targets. When we see a person on the property we tell them we often shoot at anytime and we know where our people are, but we do not know where trespassers are and if they get injured too bad for them.

On another side note: a neighbor got tired of snowmobilers running around his house in circles. He took his rifle and destroyed the engine. He was forced to buy the guy a new snowmobile or face jail.

Just be sure your potential targets or thieves don't turn you into a victim in return.
Its sad what our country had come to, the criminals have more rights than the victims.
I remember reading an article about a guy who was seriously injured and sued the homeowner. He was on top of the roof peering down on a woman through a sky light in her bathroom. Evidently she was taking a shower. I guess he got kind of "excited" and distracted. Ended up falling through the skylight and breaking his neck. Sued the woman because of a faulty skylight and won in court. The woman later lost her home because of the lawsuit. The criminal? He got 60 days in jail and a 5.5 million settlement.

A little bit of black powder drilled into the end of one log and strategically placed on the woodpile gets their attention really quick not too much but just enough

(Quote) 4. keep it in your bedroom, that way if someone comes to steal it, you now may shoot and kill them.(kindly dispose of their carcass in the OWB)

You got it figured out so even CSI couldn't find ya.:cheers:

Kyle

got taken again

Kids lost $20 in camp fire wood this weekend while we were gone. Someone stole it we keep it up by the road and run the honor system. I starting to think that the honor system my have to go.

Two Siberian Huskies..
They do a great job of patrolling and they look fierce enough without even considering the bark.

I have a Siberian huskie/Timber wolf. She's intimidating "looking" and does well as a guard dog. Only barks when somethings not right. When we are in the woods she's very quiet and patrols in large circles.

In my situation though, my driveway is a dirt road of maybe an 1/8 mile in length. It's posted as private on an huge old elm tree right at the begining. Like some others I use those motion sensing outdoor lights on my barn and garage "attached". Never have had any problems but on the job, up in the woods, we deal with it all the time. On some jobs we'll use gates or doze boulders if we need too leave skids for more than a few days. Still have problems with it though. Someone stealing cut and split wood though.....:angry2: Defo a hanging offence!

I bougth one of those motion sensors from Northern tools last week, and installed it this past weekend. it sends a beam across the driveway leading back behind the shop and sets off an alarm in the house. I set it high enough that a dog wouldnt set the thing off. Also installed motion sensing lights as well.
Sure enough, last night the alarm went off a little after midnight. Hauled butt back behind the shop, the lights were on, but no boogers anywhere in sight. could have been a deer, but who knows?
Keeping my pants, 12 gauge, shoes, and a flashlight handy beside the bed from now on...

this past weekend I was at the father in laws cabin and he has been missing a few trunkloads of wood as the kids like to "borrow" some for there campfires..

As I was driving down his road I saw a car ahead and as they passed i saw there trunk open and some wood piled in !!
I turned around and followed them to there site and got out and asked where they got the wood and they said they brought it from home and that I should mind my own business and f off!!!!!!!
now this is where is all gets better as the wood all had yellow paint on it from me painting the ends of the stacked pile as a way to stop them from taking it.
I said they have 2 choices .
1 they can hand over $50 bucks or 2 I can call the park police and charge them with theft !!
they said all cocky that I have tp prove it so I called the police and showed them our pile of painted wood and they had to return the wood and leave the park.

they also got a $200 dollar mischif ticket .

so paint your wood with some old paint and you can at least prove it's yours.

Boston is the name, nice to meet you

<------------ look left

last week a guy was knocking our gate asking if we had any hay for sale...:dizzy:

Our house has a closed front (as do our neighbours so no chance to see what is inside). We never sold anything so it was only a poor excuse to start a conversation.

While talking with the GF he was without hiding it trying to look behind her to see what was there.

I was holding our Mastif, once i got his point i released...

He saw the head coming behind the gate wing about half meter from where he stood and took of running to his car.....:) :clap: :)

Our dog would never attack when we are around,not even bark, at most position him between us and the "non trusted" His first reaction is always go and look who it is, he likes good people. But with his 130lbs at 9 months he is quite convincing.

About the firewood, i am keeping all split and stacked inside the fenced part. When cutting trees that i cannot take home immediately i just leave the pieces big enough so they wont fly away. Always worked that way.

I live on an estuary openning and the local village has a sort of system where if you find wood that has been washed up( and can be whole trees) if you tie a rope around it every one knows it has been taken. On more time now I have had wood taken which has been staked and tied to stop the high tides taking it back out, generally when I have a walk down the river bankyou find the wood so always have a lenth of blue nylon rope in my pocket. Have thought about the Shot-fire round idea. bet it would only need to work once.

However the wood shed is right next door to our neighbours gun dogs kennel so no fear of it being taken without the alarm going up.

I must agree with everyone here, why should be put the sweat and sometime blood into heating for our families and put up with thiefs. The law is to soft on this side of the big pond and sounds like on the other to.

I have a Rosie, a 78lb chessie that swims daily and was born to hunt. Her build is impressive. She has a very dark brown coat with beautiful yellow eyes and a bark that will turn heads. The best family dog I have had. She can open the slider door. My stuff out side is very safe. If I can only get her to close the door behind her…

Latest posts

Back