First impressions - Seafoam

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just looked up the MSDS. Seafoam containes the following: Naptha, pale oil and Isopropyl alchohol. No wonder it doesnt do shat!

I use coleman lantern fluid in my ultrasonic cleaners.. mostly naptha... Does a decent job of carb and parts cleaning, but has little effect on vanish deposits (even when pounded by the ulttrasonic). The alcohol on the seafoam is obviously there to get the water out, but if you have water you have other problems.

Wild Claim

PLacebo effect... Same thing goes for guys that claim synthetic oil makes their saws rev higher and idle better....

Almost immediately upon switching from Opti2 to Mobil 1 MX2T, I noticed an improved idle...:)

I use coleman lantern fluid in my ultrasonic cleaners.. mostly naptha... Does a decent job of carb and parts cleaning, but has little effect on vanish deposits (even when pounded by the ulttrasonic). The alcohol on the seafoam is obviously there to get the water out, but if you have water you have other problems.
For removing carb varnish I havent found anything that works better than Berryman's carb dip.
Course I only had to use the stuff once as I do not neglect my equipment to the point that varnishing starts.

PLacebo effect.......
I ran some of the stuff and inspected the engine before and after. There was no change.
The fact your adding seafoam to your mix can change carb tuning, but thats doesnt mean it cleaned a darn thing.
Same thing goes for guys that claim synthetic oil makes their saws rev higher and idle better....

So you're saying that its all in my head?? :confused:

If I get your drift, the addition of the components i.e. alcohol, etc will affect the way the engine runs, this giving the impression of a performance boost, whereas it is simply like leaning out the mix somewhat??

Not that I agree, but its an interesting proposition.

If I get your drift, the addition of the components i.e. alcohol, etc will affect the way the engine runs, this giving the impression of a performance boost, whereas it is simply like leaning out the mix somewhat??
Thats it. Any time you add something to your gas you have potential to change the way your engine combusts said fuel. This may or may not make a tuning change needed.
BTW I am not saying your a idiot. I am just saying its likely the changes you noticed can not be attributed to any cleaning that Seafoams has done, but rather a lean condition caused by the components of sea foam. The best way to verify cleaning is to actually inspect the parts that need cleaning after you have used the product as I did.

Last edited:
There is a reason for that

As I have stated in a previous post, coleman fuel is a poor and potentially dangerous solvent for conventional simple ultrasonic cleaners.

If you have the owners manual for your cleaner Andy, it should explain how the unit works and what solvents that it was designed to use.

Your units' frequency and the size/shape of the tank is likely designed to use water with other various chemicals added for specific applications.

Just a question before I get busy here again Andy.

If the coleman fuel in your ultrasonic cleaner does not remove the varnish (which I knew it wouldn't) what does running the carburetors in the unit accomplish?

As I have stated in a previous post, coleman fuel is a poor and potentially dangerous solvent for conventional simple ultrasonic cleaners.

If you have the owners manual for your cleaner Andy, it should explain how the unit works and what solvents that it was designed to use.

Your units frequency and the size/shape of the tank is likely designed to use water with other various chemicals added for specific applications.

Just a question before I get busy here again Andy.

If the coleman fuel in your ultrasonic cleaner does not remove the varnish (which I knew it wouldn't) what does running the carburetors in the unit accomplish?

Use whatever you want... My units all work perfectly with the lantern fluid. It does not foam, has a very low evaporation rate, holds little to nothing in suspension (wait an hour - filter though a coffee filter or just "pour off the top"), is a great surfactant... and... as we've discussed before... one reason is that the carbs go back into service immediately without any question as to residual water/ammonia/surfactants in the outlet valve's, under the welch plug and any other places it shouldn't be.

As you well know.. there is more often other crud than varnish in a carb. I don't use the ultrasound with coleman for pounding varnish (there are other cleaners that soften. loosen or remove that)... but I do use it for final (or only) clean. It leaves them spotless and ready to run. Never have had to pull a welch pulg in two+ years I've been using them, freed up many clogged and flakey outlet valves, and resurrected boxes of "dead" carbs... so I guess that speaks for itself.

Yes, I've tried water, water with ammonia, Water with ammonia and soap, "special" solutions, and for this application, I was unimpressed. In my big ultrasonic cleaner I use water and Purple Cleaner... uh oh,., not in the book either. ;)

Use whatever you want... My units all work perfectly with the lantern fluid. It does not foam, has a very low evaporation rate, holds little to nothing in suspension (wait an hour - filter though a coffee filter or just "pour off the top"), is a great surfactant... and... as we've discussed before... one reason is that the carbs go back into service immediately without any question as to residual water/ammonia/surfactants in the outlet valve's, under the welch plug and any other places it shouldn't be.

As you well know.. there is more often other crud than varnish in a carb. I don't use the ultrasound with coleman for pounding varnish (there are other cleaners that soften. loosen or remove that)... but I do use it for final (or only) clean. It leaves them spotless and ready to run. Never have had to pull a welch pulg in two+ years I've been using them, freed up many clogged and flakey outlet valves, and resurrected boxes of "dead" carbs... so I guess that speaks for itself.

Yes, I've tried water, water with ammonia, Water with ammonia and soap, "special" solutions, and for this application, I was unimpressed. In my big ultrasonic cleaner I use water and Purple Cleaner... uh oh,., not in the book either. ;)

+ 1

I use the same with no problems..

To each his own

Am I to assume you guys are of the mind that water would cause corrosion in this application?

Just wondering

Back