First impressions - Seafoam

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aersosol version

I have heard the the new aerosol version of seaform works well too. A buddy said that if you spray it through the carb or injection until the motor dies, wait a few minutes and start it back up it'll smoke but cleans the lifters, carb, etc really well. He said it took 2 cans to kill a 350 chevy, but said it cleans everything out great

I have an old outboard motor for a fishing boat. It always has had carburetor issues. It is just too old to get fix and not worth the $$$. My boys wanted to go fishing. I mixed up some gas and we got the motor started but only went a little ways and the motor started to die out. We made it to our spot with me nursing the choke. Luckily it started up when we were done fishing and although it took a bit we got back to our cottage. I happened to have some Seafoam in the shed so I added it to the tank the next day and for the heck of it took the boat out. For the first few minutes it ran a little rough and then all of a sudden the motor hit its stride. Never had another issue all summer. My skepticism is somewhat lowered.

I think the stuff can do some good with specific problems, like a little water in the gas, or a stuck metering valve, but is highly over-rated.

My recent test:

Got a tank of "bad" gas in my 6 cyl bike. Most likely some water in it. Bike ran ok on the main jets and needles, but idled like hell with a couple of dead cylinders on the idle-jets.

Dumped a can of Seafoam into an 8 gallon tank with about 2 gallons left. Ran it about 30 miles, dumped another can in and filled it up. Let it set overnight.

Bike still ran poorly at idle, even after another couple hundred miles on the stuff. Got home, drained the carbs (all six) into a clean pan. Couple of carbs dumped some drops of water out of the bowls that apparently would not dissolve in the glorious Seafoam mixture. Bike is now happy again. The water was most likely blocking the idle jets.

Naptha and IPA might help keep gas dry. Maybe the pale oils do something to slow up evaporation of gasoline, to help prevent gumming over time. I would assume but have not checked, that Seafoam is not that far off from StaBil's recipe for a fuel stabilizer. Not all bad, but I still think hyped beyond it's true merits.

Got to be a lot of profit in that stuff for the manufacture's, though!

I always read through the whole thread when an oldie is brought back. Not only for the great info, but to note how many people who were longtime AS veterans have moved on and don't post anymore.

Makes a fella thankful for those with lots of experience, balance, generosity and humor who are still around. :cheers:

I think the stuff can do some good with specific problems, like a little water in the gas, or a stuck metering valve, but is highly over-rated.

My recent test:

Got a tank of "bad" gas in my 6 cyl bike. Most likely some water in it. Bike ran ok on the main jets and needles, but idled like hell with a couple of dead cylinders on the idle-jets.

Dumped a can of Seafoam into an 8 gallon tank with about 2 gallons left. Ran it about 30 miles, dumped another can in and filled it up. Let it set overnight.

Bike still ran poorly at idle, even after another couple hundred miles on the stuff. Got home, drained the carbs (all six) into a clean pan. Couple of carbs dumped some drops of water out of the bowls that apparently would not dissolve in the glorious Seafoam mixture. Bike is now happy again. The water was most likely blocking the idle jets.

Naptha and IPA might help keep gas dry. Maybe the pale oils do something to slow up evaporation of gasoline, to help prevent gumming over time. I would assume but have not checked, that Seafoam is not that far off from StaBil's recipe for a fuel stabilizer. Not all bad, but I still think hyped beyond it's true merits.

Got to be a lot of profit in that stuff for the manufacture's, though!

Certainly some people seem to think its the holy grail, but I think most people see it for what it is: a fuel additive. As such, it seems "ok" but most of the time Id probably rather just get in & clean the saw up properly. For those 'borderline' cases though, im sure its a good option.

The one thing I dont like about the seafoam is the smoke. I know its "doing its thing" but I kinda get nervous whenever I see smoke coming from my small engines, no matter the colour or type.

It's a tool not a miracle in a bottle

Seafoam is a tool, nothing more.
If you can decipher the ingredients and find the combination of chemicals that do the job, then it doesn't matter what it's called. You can call it sooper juice, or you can call it naptha or whatever. One makes blind believers, the other addresses the need. The first one costs ten times as much as the second, the second is no different from the first.
Gun oils are a great example. By the ounce they sell that stuff for loads of bucks! You can do the same thing with automatic transmission fluid, light grease, and WD40 (and many do) and buy the best money can buy and still be dollars ahead.
Go to bobistheoilguy.com and read for about two or three months. It'll learn you a lot.
Steve W.

Back