First impressions - Seafoam

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I said before

To each their own

There are many things that can be used for many different applications.

To me using a liquid that is formulated to form vapor easily and is highly flammable in a non hooded and rated ultrasonic cleaner is a little too risky.

Try it... It's not at all like using gasoline... heck, even I won't try that. Do you really think it's any more "unsafe" than a spray can of carb cleaner?

No... not saying corrosion.. Startup.... surface tension of water is PITA in small jets or for sticking a pump diaphram down.

To each their own

There are many things that can be used for many different applications.

To me using a liquid that is formulated to form vapor easily and is highly flammable in a non hooded and rated ultrasonic cleaner is a little too risky.

WOW maybe I should take my ether injector off my wood stove....:D :D

It usually had gasoline in it

Colman fuel is made to vaporise easily and has a flash point pretty close to gasoline.

I use other flammables sometimes but in indirect cleaning (container inside the cleaner tank) but nothing with a flash point that low.

I won't attempt using something like Coleman thanks.

For removing carb varnish I havent found anything that works better than Berryman's carb dip.
Take a little peek at where the stuff originaly started from.:laugh:

http://www.berrymanproducts.com/Default.aspx?tabid=123

This stuff has been around for years but seldom heard of outside this area or so it seems. We used it a lot during the 60's degumming carbs. It will indeed eat right through varnish , be carefull of the fumes though,not healthy for a person.

OK, I did a little more experimenting with it and here's what I found. I've got an old weedeater that I haven't taken very good care of. I leave fuel in it all year long, haven't changed the air filter etc. It's been really hard to start, duh. I emptied the fuel out of the tank, put a couple of ounces of seafoam in it, put it on choke and pulled the starter cord probably about 10 times to get the seafoam into the carb. It didn't start and I didn't expect it to. I let it sit for a while, emptied the rest of the seafoam out of the tank, filled it with fresh fuel. It started after a while and seems to be running quite a bit better than before. It used to bog down real bad when I gave it some gas but it doesn't seem to be hesitating near as bad now. I did the same thing to my WILDTHANGY but couldn't really tell that much of a difference. Just thought I'd share my recent experiences. See ya, Greg

According to the Seafoam MSDS, it's:

1 PALE OIL......40-60%
2 NAPHTHA......25-35%
3 IPA..............10-20%

anybody know what IPA and Pale Oil are?

Ian

To me IPA is India Pale Ale :) :)

but, back on topic.. what is IPA? IPA =Isopropyl Alcohol

Pale oil:

http://www.noco.com/NOCO-DATA/Noco_Pale_Oils.htm

Basically.. nothing special at all....

The IPA is just to take out any water (and to rot your fuel lines). The naptha is the only marginally active ingredient. May as well just add Coleman lantern fluid ;)

Like many commercial products, the name is mostly what it's all about...

Last edited:
I tried it several years ago in my old beater truck, didnt notice any difference, but that truck had issues. Yall got me interested. Im gonna try it in my truck, and my older saws. I'll post back after doing this.

Here are my scientific findings.
1 oz Seafoam - $0.23
3.2 oz Mobile 1 Racing 2T - $1.70
1 Gallon Shell Premium 93 Octane Gasoline - $3.10
Warm fuzzy feeling - Priceless :D

I'm so excited. The power steering pump went out in the kids 98 dodge avenger last night. Seafoam has worked pretty well for me on everything else, WHY NOT? I'm sure it will be working tomorrow, hehehe!!!

I had never even heard of this stuff, and now I see it all over the auto parts stores around here...:dizzy:

Back