First "kit" saw build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ripturner

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Good morning. I purchased a farmertec ms 660 kit hoping to get a usable saw and gain some knowledge of how to work on the saws I currently use. The crank is in the but I have no idea which bag of screws goes where. I know where and what the parts of the saw are but how does one go about figuring out which packet of screws goes with each step of the build? I realize this is a newbie question but any help is appreciated.

Jeff

Get an IPL of a Stihl MS660 that will get you close...
Then you have to look at the all the stuff in the kit and decide what all has to be replaced with real parts to get it to run and last.There are a few threads that will give you ideas on what should be replaced with real parts.

Call the China saw hotline and ask for an instruction manual. You’re also going to be disappointed if you think the hardware is bagged by “step”

Call the China saw hotline and ask for an instruction manual. You’re also going to be disappointed if you think the hardware is bagged by “step”
I figured the parts would be a guessing game so no need to call China. I knew from the start that there would be no guidance from them. This is a learning experience for me and nothing more. I support my local Stihl dealer. Currently I run a 064, 090, and Remington pl5. The goal is to become more knowledgeable about these saws, not support China.

Just a heads up.i don't know if they have fixed the high idle position for starting but most had a problem going from choke to high idle.one I did for a guy at work the high idle would not work.i ended up having to buy a OEM switch, throttle linkage,and throttle trigger.otherwise it would not start.unless you can pull it with one hand and hold the throttle open a little with the other.was a pain in the a--.!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Just a heads up.i don't know if they have fixed the high idle position for starting but most had a problem going from choke to high idle.one I did for a guy at work the high idle would not work.i ended up having to buy a OEM switch, throttle linkage,and throttle trigger.otherwise it would not start.unless you can pull it with one hand and hold the throttle open a little with the other.was a pain in the a--.!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Thanks for the tip Brad. I'll check that for sure.

Be very careful, once you put one of these together successfully, you will start fixing any saw you can get your hands on. That's how I started. I went from 2 saws to about 40 in a summer. Now I fix them up and sell them to fund buying more.

In all seriousness, people give the kits crap, but they are a great learning tool, and if you take your time and do it correctly, a very capable tool. I have the same MS660 and it has never failed me.

Also, there are videos on Youtube that will help you put it together as well.

Be very careful, once you put one of these together successfully, you will start fixing any saw you can get your hands on. That's how I started. I went from 2 saws to about 40 in a summer. Now I fix them up and sell them to fund buying more.

In all seriousness, people give the kits crap, but they are a great learning tool, and if you take your time and do it correctly, a very capable tool. I have the same MS660 and it has never failed me.

Also, there are videos on Youtube that will help you put it together as well.

I have yet to get and put together a kit saw, but about a year or so ago i got a job with a ‘fuels reduction crew’ as a supervisor. I had some VERY basic and functional knowledge of saws and their operations, but since we started we’ve built up quite the stash of saws (about 25 462’s, 15 362’s and 10 261’s) and everyone brings in their own saws for some downtime maintenance. I was gifted an old 261 that had been broken down as far as it could go minus splitting the case. After spending about 10-20 hours of just tinkering and pushing and prodding and putting a new top end in this thing I managed to get it to run and I’ve been obsessed ever since! So yes, I think a kit saw is in my future [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I figured the parts would be a guessing game so no need to call China. I knew from the start that there would be no guidance from them. This is a learning experience for me and nothing more. I support my local Stihl dealer. Currently I run a 064, 090, and Remington pl5. The goal is to become more knowledgeable about these saws, not support China.
Then you should have bought a used 066/MS660!!!
You just supported Chyna.
Now you will burden your landfill with the junk parts as they fail.

Then you should have bought a used 066/MS660!!!
You just supported Chyna.
Now you will burden your landfill with the junk parts as they fail.
The chain tensioner may get there first. For the money I spent it would have been a very well spent genuine Stihl to match the price of the clone. After this I may build a "real" 066 but for now I'm learning.

My $ my choice. Just like 99% of the stuff we use everyday and generic meds we take. Check into it they all come from there mostly. ;)

I buy one a month to check out myself. Been impressed with most so far.

I dont do kits though. I'm tired of builds anymore. Plus I feel the parts in prebuilts are a a step above.
If I am going to rebuild one from bare cases, I am going to get paid for it anymore. ;)

This months was a G466 460. Pretty nice right out of the box. The dang tune was even close for my 40:1 I run.

g466weight.jpgg6644x.jpgg372weight.jpgg111x.jpegg366dd.jpg

Back