First new new saw in about 10 years - MS500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novaman64

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Last new saw I bought was my MS441C MTronic 10+ years ago. Was getting ready to pickup a MS661 when I hopped on the forums and starting reading about the magical 500i. Talked to a few of the local fallers and tree service guys and they all raved about them. Decided to give one a try, scoured the internet for a while and finally got my hands on one.

Decided to go full disco and get the West Coast Saws 3 pt felling dogs and "bark box".

Anyways, decided the break in would be to get rid of a old dead oak that needed to be removed...
IMG_8368.jpegIMG_8372.jpegIMG_8381.jpegIMG_8383.jpegIMG_8388.jpeg

This saw is a runner. Have 2 tanks through it, and its a beast. Stock, runs the 28" with a full comp (33RS) the same my broke in muffler modded 441 saw runs a 25" bar. Just threw the bark box on, so havent ran it with that yet, but Im sure between that, and complete break in the 441CM i gonna be up for sale real quick...

As one who mostly only cuts up fallen trees and branches for firewood and the occasional small tree that's growing in the wrong place I have no need for that awesome piece of machinery, but that doesn't stop me from envy and WANTING one ! ! !

Those dogs are wicked too.

Thanks for sharing, enjoy.

Good to see it has the two nut bar mounting system, I dislike toolless mounting with a passion

The wood channels I watch on youtOOb love their 500i's. A beast for sure!
Man, those felling dogs are evil. They also take up 3" of bar!
Big "West Coast" dogs aren't just for looks..... a big Douglas Fir can have bark that is 6" or more thick. Those dogs will penetrate into the bark and hold, which is something the factory versions are not very good at!

Big "West Coast" dogs aren't just for looks..... a big Douglas Fir can have bark that is 6" or more thick. Those dogs will penetrate into the bark and hold, which is something the factory versions are not very good at!
Ya, when bucking logs, they can me a bit cumbersome (specially in hardwoods like oak), but in the super thick barked pines they are worth the price of admission.

I got a chance to handle on of those Yesterday for the first time. Had to make the 2 hour drive to Fairbanks and drop on of the dogs off for surgery so had a few hours to burn. Managed to hit all the gun shops and saw shops (which isn’t much). Last shop I went to had one of those 500i’s on hand. I liked it until I saw the price. Think I’ll be sticking with my big bored 372 😬

I cant begin to tell you how many new saws I have bought, all Husqvarnas. I can tell you how many new Stihls I have bought, ONE! I picked up a 500i a couple weeks ago after using one for a couple weeks cutting timber. These saws will flat out CUT! Ive probably cut 40k ft with it now and it impresses me more every day. Its wearing a 25" stihl bar and today I had to cut a poplar that was too big for that bar. I broke out a brand new 390xp with a 28" bar to cut that tree. Im almost afraid to put equal bars on those 2 saws and compare them, Im afraid the Stihl will outcut my Husky!

I got a chance to handle on of those Yesterday for the first time. Had to make the 2 hour drive to Fairbanks and drop on of the dogs off for surgery so had a few hours to burn. Managed to hit all the gun shops and saw shops (which isn’t much). Last shop I went to had one of those 500i’s on hand. I liked it until I saw the price. Think I’ll be sticking with my big bored 372 😬
Ive got a 75cc 372 and as bad as I hate to say it, the Stihl will outcut it.

Latest posts

Back