first real saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jksnvly

Reaction score
I've read and searched this forum for awhile, just reigstered and must say there sure is alot of useful information here, also typical to forums some lighthearted nonsense too :laugh: I'm in the market for a new saw. I have a chain store special that is satisfactory for small jobs. I recently purchased a woodstove and will be cutting 2-5 cords of wood per year. I have a Stihl dealer nearby and Husqvarna not too far. I looked at 260Pro, 270 and 280 and am currently leaning towards the 280 for my needs. Also looked at 353 e-tech and 346xp. Let me know what you vets think.

hi i think for the price you can get a 353 for or even a 350 husky there all the saw you would need for what you say your going to do.i have used the jonsered 2152,basicly a 353 in cooler colors lol,all kinds of saw for your application.

Welcome to the site!

Not a bad saw among the list for the purposes you're considering, so you're really not apt to make a poor choice. The normal questions would apply - what are you cutting, what kind of dealer support is available for the brands you're considering in the area where you live and/or cut, etc. After you reason through those sorts of questions you should be good to go with whichever machine you select.

I also would reccomend the 280. Real fine firewood saw, will definetly handle what you have.;) :D

I was in your shoes last fall. I'd been running discount store saws my whole life, but when neither of my old saws would start on my first firewood trip last year I headed to the Stihl dealer near my camp.

I bought two saws, one is a little 180 and the other is a 270. I would have bought the 280 that day if I had only been buying one saw. The difference in price between the two is only about $40. But I have to say I really do like the 270. I cut all hardwood (mostly hickory), and the MS 270 is up to the challange running a 18" bar with RS chain. If you've run discount store brand saws all your life, you will really notice how smooth the 270 / 280s are in the cut. Great antivibe!

It sounds like you have a choice that I did not, since you have a Husky dealer nearby as well. I would select which dealer I liked first, then make the Husky / Stihl decision. That's something else I've learned this year - it's really cool to walk into a dealer that knows you and have him make up a couple of chain loops of whatever you need on the day you need it.

Oh yeah, I do have one more saw left to buy. Before next year's firewood cutting season I'll add another Stihl to my collection. It will be about 10 cc's more than the MS 270. I don't need it, but someday they won't be making MS 361's any more. :)

The choices you have selected are fine. I have all three and they are great performing saws.
Welcome and get ready to own more saws.

Pretty good advise given so far. They're all nice saws. As already mentioned I'd pick which dealer you like better and go from there. Good luck! ;)

Id pick huskies over stihl due to better antivibe and filtration along with better ergonomics (which should play a big role for weekend warrior, since better ergonomics and antivibe mean less fatique)

Id pick huskies over stihl due to better antivibe and filtration along with better ergonomics (which should play a big role for weekend warrior, since better ergonomics and antivibe mean less fatique)

:looser:
Had to do it. Just found these new ones.

That about sums it up.
Hey Blis, Have you ever wondered why Stihl die hards have to own so many Stihls'. Maybe it's because one of there saws will start for the day.

I'm also a homeowner who cut's just a few cords per year for firewood and have been very pleased with my 270. I too ran a few not so great saws before getting a new one and the difference between a newer Craftsman saw and a old Echo I was using was like night and day compared to my 270. I imagine the 280 would be a bit better as well.

I also would reccomend the 280. Real fine firewood saw, will definetly handle what you have.;) :D

Just a bit too close to the 361 in weight for my liking, but it might be the right saw, anyway. Try to avoid the 270, as it has the weight of the 280, without all the power.
The others you mentioned are lighter, in case you care about that at all.......

I would also avoid the 260, as it is a very old design, with bad air filter system and anti-vibe.

Last edited:
Collection

Keep reading on here and ignore the info you don't like. Plan on getting one of each brand.

Here's the plan: (you can spread this plan over weeks or years--whichever the SO will let you get away with) Get your first one from a local saw shop. Get the next new one (different color) from an online saw shop. Now that you have two running saws--get creative and start hitting the yardsales/pawnshops/online auctions, try to get a good deal on one. Then try to make that "good deal" run--the local saw shop should come in handy here.:popcorn: ...

Somewhere in this great eperiment you'll start finding your own preferences for saw colors. You need your own personal reasons for proclaiming that "all lavender saws are junk" or other such wisdom.

Enjoy--and don't forget that the sharper the chain, the sweeter the sawing.:chainsaw:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back