First saw advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjheard

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I've decided to add a chainsaw to my garage. I'm a homeowner with limited need for a chainsaw but as luck would have it a tree was delivered across my truck (the old work truck with no comp ins.) last week. I'd rather buy the saw and do the labor and save a little money and keep the saw to boot. I bought a Husqvarna 235 (16 inch bar) tonight from sears but haven't opened it yet. After reading a few comments about this saw I'm not sure I want to. So what to do...

Return the Husky and get a craftsman which may in fact be 90% the same as the Husky with a case, extra chain and cheaper as well.

Keep the Husky.

Start the saw search all over?

About that tree... Is a Sweet Gum tree worth saving for firewood?

Nothing wrong with a box store saw for your first, but if it is within your budget... I would take a look around a local dealer. Establish a good relationship with them, and they will take care of you... whether you are in for service, or another saw. You know your needs better than anyone else, your purchase may fit you perfectly...

pay no heed to me, but I would go get a STIHL and then you would have something worth a little money when done and you could resell it.

I think I would just keep what you got. If you want an all around saw, get a Stihl 290. they're about 350. Get a 16" bar on it and it'll handle all your occasional cutting chores for a long time.

Depends on the dealer and the saw - some Stihl dealers charge more than MSRP for a newer model/in-demand saw. The same seems to hold true for low-stock non-current model year saws for the in-demand stuff, like 36X, 4XX and 6XX saws, can't say for larger displacement saws as they're not stocked in my region.

Same holds true for Husqvarna, though the seem to be a little lighter in over-MSRP charging than Stihl.

I wrestled with the decision over mid-range/pro saws a couple of months ago. I cut every day, but couldn't necessarily afford the $$ for a pro saw on my own. I got lucky, and my employer gifted me a brand new MS361 - this is during the MS361 -> MS362 model transition, so the dealer held to a few bucks below MSRP. Best set of circumstances ever... the pro saw features are worth every penny for me, or would be for anyone who cuts frequently.

The advice I got here was to hold out and/or save for the pro saw. Best advice I ever got...

If you stay on this site long enough, you may end up with dozens of saws. It happens. They are addictive. :cheers:

Your new Husky may be all the saw you need and thats OK but sometimes spending a few extra bux to have a great dealer on your side is better in the end.

For example. You can buy whatever you want online and usually for a much better price then in a store but what happens when you need help???? That couple extra bux spent now could save you alot of headaches in the future.

the local dealer in my area makes his money on service ... he very seldom sells a new saw . most of the logging down here now days is down with a machine not a saw . most of the time a home owner aint gonna wear out a saw . if they have a lil knowledge on how to operate one and mix gas right the saw will run for years . the only advice i would give you is to pour the gas out the saw and crank the saw back up and let it idle till it runs out of gas . you get longer life out of the diaprhams in the carb this way .
i guess what im sayin is most dealers in my area service the stuff they sell and the stuff everyone else sells

i say keep the saw keep it sharp and dont let the fuel sit to long in the carb ive its gona sit for the winter or most the year drop alittle stabil in it run it alittle then dump the fuel out of it

sitting for long periods of time is what makes alot of saws runbad as the fuel begins to tarnish and leave deposits in the carb

Yep I agree. Even a home owner level saw will run for 500 - 1000 hours before it needs any work, that's 1 hour each weekend of the year for 10 - 20 years.

How much did you spend on PPE?

Jumping a little off the thread here .

I gave my old man a MS180 years ago and just got it back just a couple of weeks ago because of his phisical condition his life of cutting is over .
Any ways I had given him the mixing oil for the saw and he gave me what he had left .
As much as I can figure he has put 40 gals of fuel mix thru this thing , Any one have any kinda idea how many hours would it take to put that much fuel thru a 180 ?
The saw is in great shape good compression although I havent checked it , it seems just as strong as my other stihls .

I initially stared with a Husqvarna 141.... quickly learned it was not enough juice for me and I moved up to a 350..... then a 372XP.... and i kept adding. Soem of the trees at camp would have taken forever and a day to cut with my 141, but it could have done it... I am just one of those guys who enjoyed "more power"

For occasional use, I am sure that saw will be fine... keep it tuned and the chain sharp and you'll be fine so long as you take your time and know that your saw is not going to produce lightning fast cuts like a $500+ saw.

+1 about PPE... get yourself good gloves, eye and hearing protection... Better to have a cheaper saw and PPE than a fast saw and no PPE.

long pants and boots at a minimum.... Chainsaw protective chaps as VERY cheap insurance when you consider the cost of cutting or losing a leg.

One big thing is to have a clear mind when cutting... a few times i was distracted mentally when cutting and started making mistakes and one almost cost me a bad cut.... so have a clear head when you cut and take breaks when you feel fatigued...

Have everything you'll need handy and always have a first aid kit nearby so you, or someone else can bandage you in the event of a accident. I always have a medic kit handy... peace of mind. Also have a gallon of water to drink and to wash out a wound prior to bandage, should it happen.

sorry for my soapbox...

Last edited:
wow for 200 bucks just keep it and start cutting if your not gonna use it much it will last forever.

I really dont want to start a pissin war or anything but i could care less about dealer support. they are a dealer they will work on your saws wether you bought them there or not ....... they will sell you parts just the same either way.

I have 7 saws and only 2 were bought new from a dealer and none of them have ever been to the shop after i got them. Maybe i just have a bad taste in my mouth but i dont like my local stihl/husky dealer he is an arrogant :censored:.

I initially stared with a Husqvarna 141.... quickly learned it was not enough juice for me and I moved up to a 350..... then a 372XP.... and i kept adding. Soem of the trees at camp would have taken forever and a day to cut with my 141, but it could have done it... I am just one of those guys who enjoyed "more power"

For occasional use, I am sure that saw will be fine... keep it tuned and the chain sharp and you'll be fine so long as you take your time and know that your saw is not going to produce lightning fast cuts like a $500+ saw.

+1 about PPE... get yourself good gloves, eye and hearing protection... Better to have a cheaper saw and PPE than a fast saw and no PPE.

long pants and boots at a minimum.... Chainsaw protective chaps as VERY cheap insurance when you consider the cost of cutting or losing a leg.

One big thing is to have a clear mind when cutting... a few times i was distracted mentally when cutting and started making mistakes and one almost cost me a bad cut.... so have a clear head when you cut and take breaks when you feel fatigued...

Have everything you'll need handy and always have a first aid kit nearby so you, or someone else can bandage you in the event of a accident. I always have a medic kit handy... peace of mind. Also have a gallon of water to drink and to wash out a wound prior to bandage, should it happen.

sorry for my soapbox...

:agree2: Good all around advise...

Well you guys got me. I went to a local Stihl dealer this morning and picked up a MS180 with a substitute 16 inch bar for 209 + 10 setup + tax. Saw and 6 pack of premix 245 OTD. Runs great so far. Thanks for all the advice.

Latest posts

Back