First saw rebuild 395xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southernlogger

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I got an older running 395xp it ran but not nearly the way my buddies newer one runs. Started tearing it down to find a piston that's toasted looks like straight gas been through it. Carb isn't a Walboro but it works just needs a cleaning so I'm not replacing that. I have everything but the head pulled off...I need to buy a hex key long enough to reach the bolts think it's 5.5mm like everything else. My question should I go big bore 58mm or just stay 56mm aftermarket or oem? Never done this before so I want to do it right. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm fairly new at it myself but after rebuilding a few now I would say rebuild the carb, meteor piston if not OEM, replace those seals and go big. All subject to your budget I suppose. Picking the right bar and chain is always the difficult part for me.

Your cylinder bolts are m5x25, so you need a good 4mm T handle. Klein is my preferred brand. Pull the jug and see of you can clean it up before committing to parts. Odds are your jug can be saved and all you need is piston&rings. Post up some pictures of your jug.

OEM or Meteor piston if you can salvage the cylinder. If the cylinder can't be saved, it's OEM or Meteor once again for me.

Air leaks are the most common cause of a roached piston. Were it my saw I would do crank bearings and seals along with your top end refresh. Also check and make sure you don't have a bad intake boot. Any air leak between the carb and engine or at the crank seals will lean your mixture and if bad enough will melt down the exhaust side of the piston first and usually exclusively. If you don't have a vac/pressure tester, play it safe and replace the crank seals at minimum, keeping in mind that worn/failing crank bearings can cause an air leak at the seals.

Ok...I'll pull the cylinder off tonight. These are pics of piston exhaust side. I never thought about doing the crank bearings I stripped the whole saw down looking for other problems and to clean it up so might as well look into seals and bearings. How would I clean up the cylinder? What grit sand paper etc? This is my first time rebuilding a saw usually just so the smaller stuff carb clutch what not.
b7bb6eb9d53ebbb118395ee4a3ada0ac.jpg
8a8b6ee073181ffef35321ea9e228166.jpg

I also be sure to check the boot for damage. I did break the sealing color the boot goes through plastic was super brittle so I'll have to replace that as well I'll post pics of cylinder once I have it off

Latest posts

Back