First stinging on e-bay

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If PayPal's investigation is in your favor, they will put the sellers account in a negative balance and come after them with collectors to bring it back up.

File the complaint and you should get your money back.

This isn't exactly correct. I ordered an Item from a seller with good feedback and he never sent the item, would not return phone calls, emails etc etc.

I filed a claim but he had drained most of his account and they only sent me what was in his account. I am out of luck on the balance. They did not put his account into negative balance. Then they would be on the hook, not gonna happen in my opinion. It didn't with mine. :censored:

I am currently in the middle of a "not as advertised" dispute. I tried to get the return shipping back from the seller, but no go. Still waiting on the credit from paypal.

good luck with that.

PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy - Our best efforts program to reimburse Users for losses only to the extent we are able to recover the funds from sellers.

the key here is to file with paypig and do a chargeback on the creditcard the entire purchase was made on. if you dont do it that way they will screw you.

trust me!

good luck with that.

PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy - Our best efforts program to reimburse Users for losses only to the extent we are able to recover the funds from sellers.

the key here is to file with paypig and do a chargeback on the creditcard the entire purchase was made on. if you dont do it that way they will screw you.

trust me!

I tried going through paypal, but nothing was happening. I then did a charge back through the credit card and that got the ball rolling. My credit card company informed me the return shipping was my responsibility.

I am going to leave a neg, and I'm sure he will too, even though I paid within 2 minutes of auction ending. I did send the item back, but have not heard from the seller, even though I have sent him emails. I know he got the item, because it was sent ups.

I have been in contact with paypal and they have informed I should get a full refund.

If this whole lesson only costs me $12.00, I guess it was a cheap one.

I use paypal, verified address and all that stuff. I have had to use the claims process 2 times now. once on a lincoln stick welder. The seller just put a box around it and used a acouple of 1x1 lath boards on the bottom. When i recieved it it did look like ups used it as a football, the whole side of the welder was bashed in. Took pictures, sent to the seller and also got the ball rolling through Paypal claims. Informed the seller that i did start a claim on this. He was quite helpfull in clearing this up, but on his 1st email i was very concerned when the only thing he said was.. "wasnt like that when i shipped it" But we did get ups to pic the item back up and my $$ + shipping re-imbursed to me. Anothre instance was a motherboard.. (it goes inside your puter). basicly was junk and seller was helpfull in giving me ideas on what to do to get it running.. ( mind you i do have some college edumacation in networking have have custom built my own pc's and also work at a ISP) Informed the seller the compnent was defective and started to argue stating that he checks everything out before he sends anything and now he would not beable to refund my $$ and ill have to goto the manufacturer. Started the claims process and documented every email sent back and forth. and also statuing item was listed as new. There should have been no reason for opening the component to test. Sent item back with insurance and delivery confirmation and paypal reimbursed my $. Didnt even bother leaving any feedback, learned my lesson with ebay becouse if something is wrong and you leave feedback then the seller can come back and say what he wants and hurt your feedback rating also. (ebay is working on solving this)

Things are changing on Ebay...

They are changing the feedback system on Ebay now so that buyers cannot get anything less than positive feedback on sales. They figured out that sellers are just threatening to give negative feddback for anyone posting negative feedback on them. They are also changiong the feedback score to reflect only the past year's transactions. So I can see a lot of rip-off jerks in NJ are gonna be leaving Ebay pretty soon, after their FB rating tanks.

BTW, I have had many Ebay issues, and posted them here on AS. Some threads I posted about Ebay led to flame wars and the threads being removed. So I will not go into too much detail...

However, I have had several problems with Ebay over the years. More so lately than early on. I had my account jacked a few years ago by scam artists and they listed a bunch of Kawasakis for sale, using my 100% positive FB rating and sales history. Ebay was great about that and restored my account. Paypal was great too (that was before Ebay bought them).

Sales disputes are common. I have bought stuff that I never got, and bought stuff that was far less than advertized. In particular, the Saw From Hell, which was a Stihl 210 beater saw that a guy bought and flipped to me on as a "great running saw" on Ebay. I posted about that here on AS and that led to a long thread that is now deleted... for several reasons. Aside from the personal vendetta issues, the basic process led to my changing my Ebay habits from a lot of good feedback I got on AS, most of which has already been posted here on this thread. We need an AS stickey for this, really.

Basic points: Look at the seller's history for scams and flipped items, and the like. Do not buy from anyone with lss than a 98% positive rating. Do not buy from a zero seller on Ebay. O/w you are looking for trouble. Look at the photos, and particularly at what the photos do not show. Read the item, and particularly at the tone; are the covering something up? I also avoid all items sold from pawn shops. They know what stuff is worth, and what the condition is in, but often times post that they do not know the history or condition of the item. Look at the seller's history to see if he is flipping an item. Also review any negative feedback on the seller, and gaze at some of the positive feedback. Sometimes there are negative comments in positive feedback. Yahm this all takes time, but if you do not take the time, you can get burned. Once burned, you will start taking the time to do it right.

As for paying for stuff on Ebay: several issues here. NEVER, EVER pay for an item that you have not seen in person with cash, MO or personal check. For direct sales, fine, you can see the item and buy it on the spot. Otherwise pay with Paypal, and if possible, use a CC attached to the Paypal account.

Disputes after buying on Ebay: Sellers can post that an item is 'as-is' and 'no refunds' all they want, but as a seller using Paypal or credit card, they are still responsible for the item being in the condition as listed, and the item being delivered to you. If the buyer is not happy, they can file a dispute with Paypal. Do not bother filing a dispute with Ebay; they will just refer you to Paypal (which Ebay now owns). I have filed several Paypal disputes, and in all cases I have had favorable results. However, there are issues with getting money back as some have listed before in this thread. But for review, if you bought an item and never got it, send an email to the seller through Ebay. If you get no response, or flap from the seller, simply fill out a CC or Paypal dispute and state that you did not get the item. If the seller has a Paypal account with money in it, Paypal will refund your money. If you filed a dispute with the CC company, they will dock the money from Paypal and credit your card. Paypal then has to deal with getting the money from the seller (which is why they make it harder to pay with a CC on Paypal).

Now, the ugly issues... if you bought an item that is not in the condition as stated in the sale, email the seller. If they give you flap, just stop emailing them and file a dispute with the CC company or with Paypal. No point in debating with a hostile seller. In the case of CC company, and with Paypal if you get a favorable decision, they will ask that you return the item and ship confirmed mail, and ask for the mail confirmation and/or tracking number. Once the sellers signs for the item, they will refund your money. However, YOU are responsible for the return shipping costs and they will not refund that amount. I have had disputes with some Ebay sellers about condition (a chainsaw, in particular) and in one case the seller offered to take the item back. Once they got it, they refunded my return shipping costs as well. As it tured out, that seller was also an AS member. NOTE: to date, I have never been burned by an AS seller on any items bought! In another case, I bought the Saw From Hell, and the seller refused to take it back, screamed at Ebay and Paypal, and made a stink. I filed a dispute and got a favorable decision. However, I decided to keep the saw becasue: 1) I had to pay for return shipping with delivery confirmation, 2) The caveat on the return is that the seller now has the say as to the item being in the condition that it was sent out in, (they can claim that you broke it), 3) They are only liable for the limit posted in the Ebay sale ($200 or $2,000, depending), 4) The seller has to have money that can be recovered by Paypal to refund to you; if there are no funds, they cannot refund your money. So at that point I decided to keep the saw and fix it at my expense ($40 my cost) and I still have it today. The Saw From Hell is a: NEVER BUY A CHAINSAW ON EBAY YOU IDIOT momento. Items #2 through #4 above can be avoided if you pay with a CC. CC will only need delivery confirmation and they will credit your account. Also you need to use a CC that has buyer protection on the internet. I use a Chase Mastercard that has 100% money back internet purchase guarantee, and 100% internet fraud protection. Many CC companies have this type of deal, but check, and only use one that covers your azz.

Now, overall? Avoid buying saws on Ebay. Your life will be a lot easier if you avoid that. I still buy saws there, but ONLY parts saws and parts. Anything that says "runs great" or "like new"? Forget it. I consider them all as broken, scored, and beater saws that have been run with straight gas. Now and then a saw will come up that I will consider, then I will go out and look at the 210 and clense myself of the thought! It is not worth the aggrivation. I only sell parts for saws on Ebay for the same reason. It is tempting to sell whole runnign saws there, but easier to sell them on Craigslist and in person. I can get as much locally for a saw as I can on Ebay. And with no comissions, Paypal or listing costs, and no need to ship.

The new changes on E-bay suc, they will cause kaos for several months.

The dirtbags will buy, and hold the honest sellers hostage, the ones that wish to protect their 100% rating. I am glad that spring is almost here.

Really sucks for us flatlanders who don't get bigger saws locally, just a constant stream of homeowner dreck. I've got one saw off of ebay, and two from AS members. The AS members were the better deals, although my 066 came off of ebay from a guy who had done some saw business and knew what he was talking about. I got exactly what I expected, a saw that needed a bit of work, but was mechanically solid.

Ebay is always a risk, and saws especially so, since most people selling them know nothing about them. Some of us don't get a lot of other options though.

Mark

WOW,I sure didn't ecpect to get this much response when I started this thread.

I appreciate all the comments and advise that has been given from those who have gone through this same experience.

I have gotten a few pointers from some of the posters about how to cover your behind that I wasn't aware of.

My particular problem hasn't quite aged a month yet. The guy was paid on the 24th of January. The saw as of yesterday still hasn't showed up. I know some people can be a little slow on shipping but I feel the guy has had more than enough time to get the item boxed and shipped to me. Even using the slowest and cheapest method of shipping like USPS Parcel Post it should have been here by now.

Normally I follow the same basic rules given here when buying on e-bay, check feedback, number of sales, % rating with 98 being the cut-off point, avoid pawn sellers unless they talk the saw talk that only another saw fancier would understand, saws purchased from estate sales are a gamble as these people may or may not know what they are selling.

This time the seller had an item that I wanted. Even though I had my suspicions about the seller. I decided to gamble if the item didn't go for too much money. The item was a bow bar attached to a beater Homelite XL saw. I have gotten into bow bars lately just to make my collection of saws different from the normal everyday saws.

I do send an e-mail's to seller's just to feel them out to see if they know what they are selling. If they don't respond with the answer I am looking for I pass on the item. I have gotten some real off beat and funny answers. After awhile you can tell who is a good seller and who isn't.

I do have a credit card on file to back -up my PayPal account but have quit using it. Things got a little out of hand for a short time buying saws with it. I started the PayPal account when I started to sell saws and also started a seperate on line bank account just for saw sales so I had a place to transfer the money or visa -versa having an account to put money into the account to cover a PayPal purchase .It is kind of check and balance thing for my saw collecting habit. I keep minumum amounts in both accounts in case of a hijacking of the account.

E-bay does have it pitfalls and traps. Symbollically E-Bay is one big ocean of hard to find merchandise that would be hard to find in your local backyard pond. The backyard pond isn't filled with sharks and barracudaes but the ocean is and you have to watch every step you make.

Larry

Last edited:
The new changes, the buyers being able to neg feedback without
a downside, will stifle things for a while. The college grad that thought
up that terd should be shot, The other measures they have installed,
will just make feedback almost totally meaningless..................

But they will not hear, or listen............

Just an update, looking good so far , went to PayPal resolution center, no response from seller, seller had till yesterday to reply, PayPal made a judgement in my favor with a full refund in 5 days, my fingers are crossed on this one as it not quite official yet as the money is not in my account.

Still would have rather had the saw . Doesn't look like that is going to happen.

On a side note I always find it amusing how fast e-bay can be when you want to spend money by putting in a bid and how fast the server can be. It is almost like being sucked into a black hole. All I have to do is put up the first letter of my handle and up pops my name click it and the password is filled in for you. Hit the confirm button and your in.

Now on the other end of the spectrum like say a refund how slow the gears of the process turn. It is also a lot of hoops to jump through. Bout like pulling teeth in a mannner of speaking. I even had trouble with the server over the weekend trying to retract a bid because I typed in the wrong number. I retracted but put the bid back up with a corrected figure but it just wasn't as easy as going in the first time.

Don't get me wrong I am thankful that I am might be getting a full refund. It was worth the extra trouble I went through.

Again, thanks guys for the helpful info.

Larry

Last edited:
Larry,

I am glad to see it may be going your way. I usally get the shaft. There is a guy about 3 hrs south of us that took me on a Mac 3-10E (ebay) and a member here 4hrs west that simply stole a 066 from me (trading post). It is getting harder everyday to trust people.

On a side note how did that Jred 80 work out for you?

Also I just got my directory this week. I am looking at the summer shows trying to map out a plan for some saw shows. Hopefully we can meet up at one.

Bill

E-bay isn't the only place you'll find scams. Here's the story. And I'll probably get chastised by the moderators but you guys really should here this. Awhile back I posted an add wanting an 038 handle her on A.S . A person replied stating that he had what I need. I replied asking for pics and price, also what the model was. Half or whole wrap. He said it is new but a bit pricey at $400. Bigg azz red flag just went up. I went back through all his correspondences and realized it wasn't fluent English. I knew it was a scam. But I threw a curve ball anyway. I asked whether it had a (Flex capacitor type ignition) or a old (Fast burn hot lead type). His reply "I would like you to know the flex capacitor is new". I called him everything I could think of, blocked his ip add. and did alittle investigating. Apparently he signed up here, got my info and left never actually activating his account. Your not safe anywhere. Here's my advice, when you think it's a scam, feels like a scam, read their massages outloud throw in a little accent and see how it sounds. It help's

What bothers me about eBay is that there appears to be little penalty for trying to cheat someone. The sellers that just don't complete the sale, never mail anything or list things dishonestly or take photographs that hide damage can get in a little trouble with eBay....and get money taken back away from them....that is not much of a deterrent.

What about the outright theives that steal identities and list things that they don't own or never intend to send - they are just there to steal. I sold a banjo once and on two occasions someone relisted my descriptions and photographs and attempted to sell a $ 2,200 banjo that they didn't even own. The listings were pulled when the real owner and I contacted eBay and notified them of the fraud - but did eBay try and prosecute them? I think eBay needs to go after these people and get a good reputation for being tough on thieves. I understand that it may be tough to go after the international thieves - but anyone in the states should be easy to track down and prosecute.

Just wanted to add something, since I do a lot more selling on E-Bay,
but in no way am trying to be a "sellers" advocate, but when you try to
contact the seller, do it through e-bay's messaging, not to the guys
e-mail. I often ignore e-mails, and do not open them, due to the large
number of scams, etc.

Jim,
Good to hear from you. Sorry, the pickings have been very slim for oak logs lately. I haven't seen much oak lately because of the high demand for it as firewood. I don't have anything at the moment. What oak wood I do have is going to become firewood for my regular customers who buy from us every year.

Bill,

That J-red is a super saw. It has been working out real good. It is my favorite mid-range, light heavyweight saw for doing firewood. I think I got the better end of that deal:cheers: I bought a new bar for it but haven't put it on yet. I found out that certain Homelites have the same bar mount as the J-reds. In this case a bar from one of my 925's swapped over perfectly. At least I got a popular gauge bar and chain pitch on it now and have been grinning ear to ear ever since. The saw looks kind of strange with a Jred powerhead and a bar that reads Homelite, kind of a hybrid thing .

Back to e-bay

Yes I do agree that more should be done to those that deliberately intend to cheat and steal on e-bay. When you think about it, there has always been a certain element in our society that has always tried to make the fast buck by preying on the unsuspecting by cheating , lying, scamming or outright theivery. These cheaters will always be with us and there is no place that is safe. All we can do is try to see them for who they really are and try not to get snared in their traps. Most of the time this is easy, but sometimes you let your guard down and you get bite like I did. Good thing for me it wasn't a big bite. Taught me a lesson that I won't be forgetting anytime soon.

Larry

Last edited:
I just went through this in the last 2-3 weeks. I purchase a VX2100 camcorder for our church for $1550. I paid via PayPal with a CC. I never received the item. Several messages sent back and forth between me and the seller, always with emptly promises to ship next day air. Finally, I filed a "complaint" with PayPal. At this point, they send an email to both parties involved and provide a means of replying to the complaint. The seller never replied to it. At this point I escallated the complaint to a "claim". The seller has the burden of responsibility to show proof that the item was shipped, ie. a tracking number. Again, no response from the seller. One or two days later, I had my money back. It was unclear in the details of the transaction if she refunded of her own volition or if PayPal took the money from her. The way I found out was through an email from PayPal as a resolution to the claim. If PayPal's investigation is in your favor, they will put the sellers account in a negative balance and come after them with collectors to bring it back up.

File the complaint and you should get your money back.

paypal took the funds from her i accept paypal thru our site as a payment option as well as other options of payment and plus on ebay i am new to ebay so have to figure out what to do to sell something i do know i have a fax machine i got that i am thinking of selling wonder what that would sell for

hope everything is ok with you

and am glad you got your $ back

that is alot of $ for a camcorder

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back