First time haulin' in the pickup

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Because of wind that came after recent wet, heavy snows the town has a lot of trees and branches down. The wife called me at work yesterday because a "big branch" had fallen at my MIL's house and took the power line with it, she asked me to drive by and see if I "wanted" the wood. Being I'm a wood-snob, I figured it would be some crap Box Elder or some such and she just needed someone to clean it up on the cheap (by-the-way, I'm not complaining about helping-out the 73-year-old MIL).

So I drive by... and it's a huge ash tree, crotched about 6-7 feet up, and half the tree is on the ground... I figure it will make something just under/over a half cord of firewood (and I always seem to guesstimate wrong). I called the wife back and told her I'd take care of it as soon as I could get my pickup in there (right now there's around 16-20 inches of snow in her yard). Well, couple hours later she calls back... seems the MIL had a "neighborhood friend/handyman" planning to clean up the mess, she just needed to know if I wanted the "wood". So as I understand it, the brush and junk is all cleaned up, the large branches have been cut to manageable lengths, and all I need to do is go load it up.

Believe it or not... this will be the first time my pickup has ever hauled a single stick of firewood.

you cant beat that with a broken ash stick!

got lucky like that about a month ago, got offered a tree guys trimmings for free. i came with the whole chainsaw gear and hand splitting tools in tow. turns out he had cut it all to length and put it in one nice pile by the curb for me. drive up load and go, can't beat it!

Spidy I think that calls for suspension of your man card for having a truck that never hauled firewood.

load it down flex those leaf springs but remember it ain't loaded till the bumper is dragging the ground ;)

Must be one of those 'suit and tie' pickups, in the suburbs. You might want to leave the wood in the truck awhile, unload it when it is seasoned.

Yah, I call them P**** wagons. Had a co-worker who was always worried about scratching his bed, wouldn't haul anything. He even pointed out that my new (10 year old F15) had some scractches in the bed. He knew I used mine as a 'workign truck'. He also wanted to trade trucks so he could "haul stuff". Kicked tires for a couple months and showed up with a brand new one, gussied up, all the extras and a SHORT BED but it shore did look "cute".

Harry K

Must be one of those 'suit and tie' pickups, in the suburbs.

Naw, I don't live in no suburb... don't live anywhere near a "community".
It's a beat-up, rusty, '94 F150, 4x4, regular cab, long box that's been well worked and hauled its share of "stuff".
I've just never had need to haul firewood with it... I cut all mine right on the property and use the little tractor with trailer to haul it out'a the woodlot.
If this was anyone but my MIL I'd pass on it... don't see the sense in burning gas to retrieve firewood from town when I have all I need right at the homestead.

You can borrow my FB. It hauls wood and other stuff just fine. It's a little dirty at the moment. I spun the rears pretty good unloading a big oak off the trailer. There's a lot of mud still packed under the bed.

Naw, I don't live in no suburb... don't live anywhere near a "community".
It's a beat-up, rusty, '94 F150, 4x4, regular cab, long box that's been well worked and hauled its share of "stuff".
I've just never had need to haul firewood with it... I cut all mine right on the property and use the little tractor with trailer to haul it out'a the woodlot.
If this was anyone but my MIL I'd pass on it... don't see the sense in burning gas to retrieve firewood from town when I have all I need right at the homestead.

Never hauled wood!:msp_scared: 4X4 lock it in and get the wood 16" is nothin!:laugh:

A winter of change spidey? 1st you admit about the wood shed, now hauling wood. Let me be the 1st to welcome you to our world, planet earth. Sorry had to do the last with your avatar.

Hmm, after hauling a small load of wood in the Ranger, it's now in the garage awaiting spring shackles and possibly a hanger. Weekend project I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

What else would you use a truck for but hauling wood? I never contemplated having one for anything else. In fact it is how I justified needing one.
The wood widow agreed, she was tired of me using the back seat of her Camry for picking up stray splits along the highway:)

What else would you use a truck for but hauling wood?

Ahhhh yes... but... that sort'a depends on where ya' live.
Mine has hauled dirt, rock, gravel, various construction materials, all sorts of OPE, large quantities of gasoline, furniture, appliances (wood-fired and others), a dozen kegs of beer at a time, small boats, motorcycles, ATV's, and I can't remember what else. And at least a couple times a year (more often during some years) the 4-wheel drive is needed just to get out of the yard through the snow.

Out here, whether he burns wood or not, a man without a 4x4 pickup is like a cowboy without a horse... pretty much worthless.

Out here, whether he burns wood or not, a man without a 4x4 pickup is like a cowboy without a horse... pretty much worthless.[/QUOTE]

I can relate to that here in PA. Seems like everyone in PA has a Pickup. But it is different too. Aside from what the local farmers have, most of the pickups around here are glorified SUV's. Pretty things, all spruced up with Crew cabs or cargo lids and short little beds. They dont haul nothing in them, just their kids and the dog. And they would not think of running it into the woods, could get a scratch on it from a twig or something. Would never think of throwing a hunk of wood into the bed as it could get a dent in it. Strangest thing. Why they bought a truck really puzzles me. Kind of a status thing I guess. I bought a used 2001 Chevy 2500 HD, regular cab with a full sized bed. Had to look for months to find one. I wanted to haul wood not people. I am sure I will be hauling more than wood in mine. So far no one has asked me to move any furniture or anything like that, but I am sure the day will come. Brother borrows it for hauling hay for his horse so it does see some use for other than wood duty. And I hope to really break it in this spring to haul some manure for the garden and the fruit trees. Figure if I leave a little of the manure laying in the back of the bed of the truck, less people may want to borrow it to haul their furniture in it.:)

Oh yeah, we’ve got our share of the Yuppies driving ‘em here also; and it seems like more of ‘em moving in all the time… or maybe we’re breeding them? Four doors and a short box used only to haul gas for the grass-cutter… a little 1-gallon container, and you can be sure they’ve put a towel under it just in case. They’ve got all sorts of “stuff” bolted and screwed to them… running boards, mud flaps, bug deflectors, fog lights, visors, chrome tail gate caps, tonneau covers, fancy wheels, custom paint striping and graphics, and horror-of-all-horrors… custom license plates. With the first dusting of snow in the fall every one of ‘em is out driving around with the front axle engaged… yaaaaa-hoooooo!

It’s flat embarrassing… and what’s worse, they’re proud of those… those… those… … what the heck do ya’ call ‘em… Frankenstein Trucks? Some even put trailer hitches on ‘em just so they can have a custom receiver plug… ahhhggggggg, I wanna’ puke.

Oh, and don’t forget the silly-something hanging from the rear view mirror and the custom screen graphic in the sliding back glass…

I think we should neuter them all before they reproduce :D

Never hauled wood!:msp_scared: 4X4 lock it in and get the wood 16" is nothin!:laugh:

Some years ago an old farmer gave me a really good piece of advice...
As a high school kid on summer break I was working for him to pick up a little cash. We were driving out to check the cattle and slipping around a bit in the mud. I asked him why he didn't put the truck in 4-wheel drive, and he answered with...
"Sonny boy, ya' don't put it in 4-wheel drive before ya' get stuck... 'cause if'n ya' do, you'll end up walkin' home."

I've never forgotten that.

Back