First time haulin' in the pickup

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of bias ply... They helped my ranger 4x4 make some full size 4x4 pickups feel bad.

I'll tell ya' what really makes 'em feel bad...
When they're standing knee deep in the slop, hands on their hips, staring at their wide-azz, loaded-up radials and you drive up next to 'em, roll the window down, toss the recovery strap out, and say, "hook me up dude, I'll have ya' out'a there in no-time flat." Then, just to add insult-to-injury, you drive a circle around 'em getting into position :D

Will say that I was mistaken on the half frame part on the Ranger.

It does split underneath the cab.... Just noticed that last night taking the shocks off.

:popcorn:
I'm gonna' wait for a real rebuttal.

Rebuttal :laugh: Put some wood in your truck cornholer, isn't that why you started this thread?

Load it, and show us all how them tires work :D

0323131407b_zpsea204609.jpg

0323131412a_zps40c5bce0.jpg

Complimentary 6 ply radial tire shot, yeah 50 psi she squats a touch but there's probably as much weight on there with what that F150 weighs with them self clean'n tires :laugh:

0323131408a_zps161eeaa6.jpg

Notice the radial rubber here, no loading of the tread

0323130917b_zpsc00426f4.jpg

Put any wood in yer truck yet, or you still using the garden tractor so you don't wear out those precious bias ply tires? :laugh:

Blazin,
You are forcing me to admit to one very big disadvantage of bias traction-lug tires... they will tear the snot out of soft ground. We've (finally) had a bit of sun and a few days above freezing... some of the yard has the snow gone and the top inch or so pretty soft in those areas, the gravel driveway is a swamp. Unless I want my yard looking like a steel-track bulldozer did donuts in it...

So there you have it... my excuse :redface:

Well, got the Ranger plated up and ready to go.

Couldn't get to where I wanted to for the mud or the deeper snow, but did what I could.

My useless street radials... :msp_razz:

Picture558_zpseb067258.jpg

Picture551_zps794346e2.jpg

Picture548_zpsfff7a734.jpg

Picture549_zps2e467d42.jpg

Some spots it packed with some snow, some spots it didn't.. :msp_confused:

Picture556_zpsb4b1ca70.jpg

Short video.

Don't seem totally useless, I thought they did a good job, considering these are AT tires. Yea, they loaded up a little, but never to the point that there was no treads sticking out and it always left tracks behind the tires.

I didn't get stuck anywhere either...

Last edited:
Some years ago an old farmer gave me a really good piece of advice...
As a high school kid on summer break I was working for him to pick up a little cash. We were driving out to check the cattle and slipping around a bit in the mud. I asked him why he didn't put the truck in 4-wheel drive, and he answered with...
"Sonny boy, ya' don't put it in 4-wheel drive before ya' get stuck... 'cause if'n ya' do, you'll end up walkin' home."

I've never forgotten that.

I was told as a kid, by a family friend and rancher that 4x4 was designed to get you out of what 2x4 got you into... Same difference.

Folks asked me why in the heck I got a dually when looking for a diesel F-350. I just point at it when it's heaped with wood and it's not even on the overloads yet.

The Ranger has some 31-10.50's on it now, the best tires I've had on it so far. Do really well in the mud and snow, and aren't too loud on the hardtop either for being a pretty aggressive AT tire.

0069766209364_180X180.jpg

Don't know how well they will last though, but am liking them so far.

I had these tires on my old 2x4 Toyota before I sold it. They worked GREAT off-road and in the mud. It never got stuck, although that might have been do to avoiding obviously bad scenarios...
trans.gif
grabber_at2_3_4_product.png
They did remarkably ell for radials in the mud and rocks, didn't chip easily and had fantastic tread-wear. They WERE damn squirrely for the first 200 miles but after that they were great. I WILL be putting these on my '02 F-350 dually. I would love to have some nasty meats for the pastures I retrieve wood from, but with having to drive a fair bit on road and highly prefering the stability of radials, these have been the best compromise I've found so far. Especially for the price point, well under BFG T/A KO's...

Back