Fiskar Hatchet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porta mill

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am looking for a new hatchet . I was at sears today getting some new sockets and notices they carry fiskar axes and hatchets. I was wondering are they worth the money and who likes them ? does the plastic handles hold up to steady useage?

I am looking for a new hatchet . I was at sears today getting some new sockets and notices they carry fiskar axes and hatchets. I was wondering are they worth the money and who likes them ? does the plastic handles hold up to steady useage?

Yes! Those Fiskar hatchets and axes are very strong, I read somewhere and saw in an add that you can drive over the Fiskar's and they won't shatter or break. Very durable and very reliable axes and hatchets.

Just some facts and opinions,

Shane

Pretty sure we've run over each of our 2 Fiskars w/ the Case 1840, or the truck several times. No damage noted. Tools live a hard life here, & these have held up.

Can't say as I have used my fiskars hatchet a whole lot, but it certainly seems as durable and well made as the supersplitter that I have used a lot. The composition handles are pretty darn strong. If you break one, it would have to be from extreme and severe misuse.

They have a lifetime guarantee. I don't know if any wooden handles have a similar guarantee.

I started with fiskars scissors, then got a fillet knife, then a supersplitter, and THAT turned me into a fanboy. Also now have the previously mentioned hatchet, the machete, the folding jack knife pruning saw and just recently got the smaller bowsaw. The two handed brushhook knife/axe is next on my acquisition list.

I wish fiskars made chainsaws..and trucks. They just nail it, near chinese type cheap import prices with excellent quality. How the heck they do it, I can't say, but they have pulled it off. A LOT of USA manufacturers should find out how they can do that low price and very good quality combination.

edit: I forgot, I have another fiskars tool, it is about to get it's maiden voyage. A heavy duty fiskars shovel. I just used the fiskars fillet knife to separate an old rooster into dogfood parts, and I am going out in a sec to bury the leftovers.

edit2:dang that's a good shovel! Strong lak moose, you can really lever out a big glob of heavy clay with it. It's like a prybar with a shovel blade on it, stout. It's the long handled version, solid steel all the way, powdercoated, sort of a triangular/oval handle, with an extra wide foot step. You can really stomp on that sucker. A popular online book and other stuff retailer has a lot of reviews on it, and mother earth news called it the world's best shovel. Got mine at tractor supply, 30 clams.

Last edited:
A mate had one on a trip last weekend, its was about a 1/2 weight axe. It was quite unusual for a start splitting fire wood as the weight distibution seems all different to a conventional steel head/wood handle.

After a while you seemed to get used to it.

Probably not a bad bit of gear, the handles should last forever and thats the bit you always break.

Would I get one, if the price was OK, Yes !

Well worth the money.

I have had one for over a year now, I bought it mainly for removing small branches that I inevitably miss with my chainsaw when cutting fire wood. It works great very lite and well made. I did manage to break the handle, it was my fault for miss using the tool. I was camping and had a string of rainy days that made finding dry kindling out of the question. I was using the hatchet to split 3 inch logs into kindling and it was doing a fine job. I ran into a log that was giving me some trouble and made the mistake of using another small log as a hammer to finish the split. I hit the handle instead of the head and managed to break a chunk out of it. :msp_mad:

Its on my list, next time I pass Sears.

I have had one for over a year now, I bought it mainly for removing small branches that I inevitably miss with my chainsaw when cutting fire wood. It works great very lite and well made. I did manage to break the handle, it was my fault for miss using the tool. I was camping and had a string of rainy days that made finding dry kindling out of the question. I was using the hatchet to split 3 inch logs into kindling and it was doing a fine job. I ran into a log that was giving me some trouble and made the mistake of using another small log as a hammer to finish the split. I hit the handle instead of the head and managed to break a chunk out of it. :msp_mad:

Its on my list, next time I pass Sears.

Yeah, That can turn bad on you quick, LOL

Shane

Wondering what they cost in the US, I seem to remember my mate saying his 1/2 axe (approx size) was round Au$80.00.

Wondering what they cost in the US, I seem to remember my mate saying his 1/2 axe (approx size) was round Au$80.00.

I think it depends on what size you get, I think they are $50 U.S. dollars though for the X27's.

Shane

Just opened Ebay here...should have realised the axes would be on it........"Fiskars Splitting Chopping Axe X25 28" 72cm .......Au$149.90."

A tad dearer in Aus. it seems there's a few US sellers, will check them out.

when I was at sears the hatchet was $26 I think the small AX was $32 I did not think the price was to bad but I am questioning the durability of the composite handle .

when I was at sears the hatchet was $26 I think the small AX was $32 I did not think the price was to bad but I am questioning the durability of the composite handle .

That's about what they go for around here as well. Walmart sells the hatchet for around $25 as well. I have my eye on one. :hmm3grin2orange:

Small Fiskers X5

I got a small Fiskers X5 a few months ago. Use it camping to split down kindling and other chores. I haven't run over it yet but I do keep the plastic cover on it at all times while not using it. I also hide it from the grand kids. They like to experiment with pawpaws tools! So far, I have zero complaints with the product.

very handy for making some kindling. I also keep my little x7 near the hydraulic splitter as it's great for slicing through any leftover stringy bits.

I keep my no brand axe I got from Bailey's around so when Im knocking off spurs, If I forget one of something I just chop it off with the axe.

that is why I was thinking of buying the hatchet to keep around the splitter to chop through the stringy junk the splitter does not go through . I have a cheep piece of junk I cannot keep an edge on it for the life of me .So from the response of all, it seems to be worth the money. nextime I see one I will pick one up. Thank's for all the replies.

that is why I was thinking of buying the hatchet to keep around the splitter to chop through the stringy junk the splitter does not go through . I have a cheep piece of junk I cannot keep an edge on it for the life of me .So from the response of all, it seems to be worth the money. nextime I see one I will pick one up. Thank's for all the replies.

Yeah, I am thinking of getting a better ax then the one that I have, I love my old double bit one with the wooden handle though. It works real nice splitting the soft wood! :msp_thumbsup:

I know of no stronger handle than what they use.

I have a super split, the precurser to the x25 (many feel it is better, I have never used an x25), and a hatchet. Today I bought the x15 at Walmart for $37. I had been wanting something in between so it was worth having the wife roll her eyes at me when I picked it up.:hmm3grin2orange: I think I'll get another hatchet sometime when the wife isn't with me, just because.:rock: Also, I'll be needing an x27, just to compare it to the super split.:msp_thumbsup:

Back