Fiskars Splitting Axes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thekid95

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
im looking to buy a new Fiskars Super Splitting axe but no store will carry it and i dont really want to buy it offline. Does anyone no any store that carrys them?

and also if anyone owns one i would like to hear what they think about them, ive heard that they work really good and i just want to make sure before i blow some money on them

any replys will be greatly appreciated

that is some ace hardware's have them some do not.... our local ace does not....good luck i had to buy mine online. i gave $38.00 pro chop 28" $39.00 for pro split 28" & $40.00 for the super split 28". feebay.....takes a week to get them though....

I bought the super split last year and love it! Lighter weight than most mauls but splits just as well, maybe slightly better. Lighter weight means I can swing more before getting tired.

I think you will love it. Roger

I have to give credit to the AS members for this one.

I read all the fuss and finally got one a month or so ago. I split everything by hand and have used 6 & 8# mauls and sledge and wedge for the last 30 years. I could easily go out and buy a gas powered splitter, but to be honest I enjoy splitting wood by hand.

I ordered mine online. That is a funny story, I was sitting at the computer and my wife noticed I was in Paypal and asked what I just bought. I told her I just ordered my new log slpitter. She said it was about time that I was getting to old to split wood by hand. About a week went by and I told her the UPS guy was delivering my log splitter that day to make sure she was home in the afternoon. She was quite surprised when he handed her a little box.

Anyhow, I haven't touched a maul since I got the Fiskars, it works every bit as well as everyone here says. It's light, easy to swing and splits every bit as good as the heavy mauls, and you feel alot better at the end of your day for the effort. I am very impressed with how well the handle is holding up to over strikes and driving through the wood. The handle still looks new after about 4 cords of wood. The special coating in gone off the head, doesn't seem to affect anything. I just thought it was funny how they use that as a marketing ploy, and it wears off so quickly. There is some stuff it won't handle, just like the mauls, that's when the noodles fly.

I also have to give kudos for the tire on the spliiting stump idea, that has saved me alot of bending over.

Last edited:
tire is ok....try a bungee around the large log or a bundle of smaller logs...:coffee:

YouTube - Splitting firewood AKKAMAAN

YouTube - Splitting firewood in more than one way AKKAMAAN

Yeah I watched your vid before when I was researching the Fiskars. Good stuff. I tried both methods, the bungee and the tire. The bungee does work well and saves the step of lifting the log up on the stump. But you have to bend over to pick them up once split, so I guess that's a wash. I guess I just prefer to split on a stump. It's just how I have always done it and it feels awkward to split on the ground, and when you drive clean through you dull the axe. The tire also adds a slight margin of safety, the older I get I seem to think about that stuff a little more. While it would hurt pretty bad to have a leg strike with either tool (a maul or the Fiskars), the Fiskars has an incredibly sharp edge compared to the maul and I supect it would result in greater damage.

Mike

Yeah I watched your vid before when I was researching the Fiskars. Good stuff. I tried both methods, the bungee and the tire. The bungee does work well and saves the step of lifting the log up on the stump. But you have to bend over to pick them up once split, so I guess that's a wash. I guess I just prefer to split on a stump. It's just how I have always done it and it feels awkward to split on the ground, and when you drive clean through you dull the axe. The tire also adds a slight margin of safety, the older I get I seem to think about that stuff a little more. While it would hurt pretty bad to have a leg strike with either tool (a maul or the Fiskars), the Fiskars has an incredibly sharp edge compared to the maul and I supect it would result in greater damage.

Mike

Oki...Yea I split on a stump too, but the 70+lbs logs I do not lift from the ground...they split ok on the ground too....

Fiskars is coming out (in a few days) with a 36" long version of the Super Splitter. Lot's of folks, especially folks over 6' tall have complained about the short handle of the 28" version being possibly hazardous. I've got a 28" version and it does very well but like many folks I'm looking forward to the longer handled version. Like someone mentioned...they are very sharp and split wood very good. If you're not in a great hurry you might want to wait a few days so you can check out the longer handled one.

Best wishes,
Ed

I've been holding out for the 36" model as well. Was out splitting yesterday with an 8lb maul and wedges. Kept thinking about the Fiskars the whole time. I've been impressed with the Youtube videos that I've watched as well as the feedback on the forums.

Fiskars Super Splitter

thanks for all the info and answers
so i heard that the new X-series is coming out and there going to have one with a 36' handle

does anyone know when the new X-series is coming out? i heard it was sometime in Febuary 2011 but i wanted to know the exact date. also if anyone knows where the new X-series will be carried at? any info at all will be more then appreicated i literally cant wait to get me one of these axes

They are shown on the Fiskars website, but I do not know when they will be available. I did call Bailey's last week and was told they would decide whether they will stock them when they put together their new catalog.

I see where the 36" model is designed in Finland, but where is it made? I might like one myself. REJ2

The FSS is MADE IN FINLAND, and I heard from others that the rest of axes is as well....yet to see about the 36"....But I am Sure it is MADE IN FINLAND too!!

anyone who says that this 'super splitter' or whatever it's called, splits as well as an 8lb maul hasn't run across the real wood yet. Mine splits very well, but it's not in the same class as the maul.

Don't believe the hype. It's a great addition to your wooding abilities, but it isn't an all out replacement for the 8lb maul.

I've been splitting with an 8 lb. maul all my life, and I've switched to...

... a 35-ton hydraulic splitter! :D

But I do like to split by hand from time to time, and the Fiskars SSA is my tool of choice. The SSA allows me to split more wood before I get tired. The swing is shorter and I exert less effort than with the 8 lb. maul. I'll be getting the 36" X27 as soon as it's available

Latest posts

Back