Fiskars Splitting Axes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got an email from Fiskar's customer service yesterday stating that the X27 should be in stock at ACE Hardware stores by the end of the month and that it should also be available thru amazon.

Interesting note... I was at Wallyworld tonight looking for a bicycle for my soon-to-be four year old granddaughter and I wandered into the garden section...lo'and behold....a couple of Fiskars X25 (28") Super Splitters and some 14" hatchets. Interesting note is that the sheath is different from the one I have (bought through amazon)...my sheath simply has a strap across it that presses into a hole and "catches". The one at Wallyworld had a flat type latch that you twisted to remove the axe. Other than that it looked the same as mine. ??

Ed

replacement

anyone who says that this 'super splitter' or whatever it's called, splits as well as an 8lb maul hasn't run across the real wood yet. Mine splits very well, but it's not in the same class as the maul.

Don't believe the hype. It's a great addition to your wooding abilities, but it isn't an all out replacement for the 8lb maul.

Not an all out replacement, but I am guessing I can now do way over 50% of what I used to split with a maul with the SS. And I have "real wood" to use, redoak, hickory, maple, beech, smaller elms, etc. Sweetgum is about all I really don't care to even try and split by hand.

I would imagine for the folks out west who use almost all coniferous straight grained, a SS would do almost all of it easy, but even this east coast hardwood succumbs most of the time, once you have that first piece off and have broken the bark.

Different tools for different jobs, it is nice to have a variety. I also cut much smaller (branches off of big trees, and smaller trees I clear from fence lines) than I guess a lot of people cut, gives me a lot more wood that doesn't need any splitting, and fills in the nooks and crannies well in the woodpile. I did around a 150 yard stretch yesterday, dropped around a little over 200 smaller trees, (some real small, just one or two year old saplings), this afternoon I will go scrounge a lot of the butt ends for firewood. None of it will need to be split, the biggest diameter was maybe 8 inches. Maybe 50 of them or so are good enough to bother with, so I'll get around 300 decent chunks to burn, with no splitting needed.

If you split by hand, the super split is worth it. I am impressed with this tool.

It seems to really transfer energy well and split big stuff better than expected.

Very sharp, bumped my thumb on the corner of the blade and cut me like a scalpel!!! bled forever

It won't split my 30" elm, still fighting that stuff!!!

The FSS is MADE IN FINLAND, and I heard from others that the rest of axes is as well....yet to see about the 36"....But I am Sure it is MADE IN FINLAND too!!

Unfortunately, I don't share Akkaman's optimism -- "Designed in Finland" screams weasel wording to me and I remain a skeptic till I see the new ones made in Finland.

Mine splits very well, but it's not in the same class as the maul.

That's because the maul flunked out of school.

I used to split 10-15 cords a year with a monster maul. After 2-3 years of that I couldn't do it anymore due to shoulder pain and bought a 35 ton Huskee. Shortly thereafter I bought the Fiskars. If I had purchased the Fiskars first I might not have bought the hydraulic splitter, at least not as soon. IMHO the Fiskars splits every bit as well as the monster maul.

If you go to any local ace hardware even if they don't have it on hand they can order it. I have the longer handled one ordered right now, should be here anytime. I really like the one I have now but I'm 6'4 and the handle is a little to short for my liking. I have a co worker that is taking the shorter handled one in trade for a couple bottles of his homemade wine.

--
Email from Fiskars Customer Service said:
Dear Victor,

Thank you for your inquiry about our new X27, 36" splitting axe. This axe will be available closer to the end of January through the following retailers:

USA: Menards, ACE Hardware and Amazon.com
CANADA: Canadian Tire

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. Thank you for choosing Fiskars.
I can't friggin' wait.

I haven't found an 8 pound maul that will come close to doing the job of my Monster Maul.

I saw one at the tractor supply co the other day. Thing was heavy and short handled. I was tempted, but I resisted. My biggest impediment to splitting wood isn't my tools or lack of, but the gumption to get out in the freezing weather and swing away.

Not an all out replacement, but I am guessing I can now do way over 50% of what I used to split with a maul with the SS. And I have "real wood" to use, redoak, hickory, maple, beech, smaller elms, etc. Sweetgum is about all I really don't care to even try and split by hand.

I would imagine for the folks out west who use almost all coniferous straight grained, a SS would do almost all of it easy, but even this east coast hardwood succumbs most of the time, once you have that first piece off and have broken the bark.

Different tools for different jobs, it is nice to have a variety. I also cut much smaller (branches off of big trees, and smaller trees I clear from fence lines) than I guess a lot of people cut, gives me a lot more wood that doesn't need any splitting, and fills in the nooks and crannies well in the woodpile. I did around a 150 yard stretch yesterday, dropped around a little over 200 smaller trees, (some real small, just one or two year old saplings), this afternoon I will go scrounge a lot of the butt ends for firewood. None of it will need to be split, the biggest diameter was maybe 8 inches. Maybe 50 of them or so are good enough to bother with, so I'll get around 300 decent chunks to burn, with no splitting needed.
How would one of these fiskars ss deals work for splitting juniper, mostly 12-20 inch rounds?

How would one of these fiskars ss deals work for splitting juniper, mostly 12-20 inch rounds?

I honestly don't know man, that is a strange tree to me. Is that a real far midwest or western tree? A conifer? The only juniper we have around here are those little landscaping shrubs. Is it straight grained wood? I think anything straight grained no matter the size of the rounds would split easy. Just start at the outside, a couple inches in, then whack away, round and round, until all the bark is off. Then you can take much bigger whacks. So far I have done over 20" oak with mine, if you can compare that.

some pics on these two pages

Flickr: zogRman's Photostream

Flickr: zogRman's Photostream

And buy the sharpener with it, like 8 bucks or so, unlike mauls, this ax needs to be real real sharp to work correctly, and wipe the slick slime off of the handle first before using it, use leather gloves or something. 100% do this....

Don't ask me how I know this with the slicked up handles as they ship from the factory ;)

Besides that, it just works. I never split on the ground either, and always brush the chopping block off in between new rounds going up, to keep the blade from hitting dirt and stuff. And I use a variety of dif sizes old tires to split in, to keep from having to keep standing them up, plus for *safety* and to avoid damaging the ax. I need a bigger chopping block and go to a tractor tire now, load it up! I mean, this thing is downright fun once you get the hang of it, think focus..hmm..the diff between bruce lee and his one inch focused accurate karate punch versus a brawler throwing wild haymakers. Speed-focus-accuracy=chunks of firewood real quick with minimal effort.

I had been holding out for the x27 but my wife ended up buying me the 36" Tru Temper axe today. Not sure how it compares to the Fiskars but overall I'm happy with it. Much lighter than my maul and seemed to make short work of some apple that I had laying around.

Amazon isn't showing the X27 yet, but it should be soon. I plan to buy one as soon as I can find $65 to spare. Right now I have 2 sick kids and we are racking up doctor bills. The way things have been going lately, scrounging $65 may take a while!

Ace told me mine would be in tomorrow..yayyy getting the wife to pick it up for me!

Picks when it gets here to prove it!

Ace told me mine would be in tomorrow..yayyy getting the wife to pick it up for me!

Picks when it gets here to prove it!

How did you get the X27? Did they order it for you in store? The website only has the old style on it even though the same part # is listed.

How did you get the X27? Did they order it for you in store? The website only has the old style on it even though the same part # is listed.

Yeah i ordered it through the store. Id checked on the long handle version a couple times and they said they would call me when it showed to be in the warehouse.

here are a few pics.

Yeah i ordered it through the store. Id checked on the long handle version a couple times and they said they would call me when it showed to be in the warehouse.

here are a few pics.

Darn....they ruined the head on the new X27 axe, it is 1/2" wider....not good....

Back