Fiskars Splitting Axes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's been a lot of confusion and bad info about this axe. I called Fiskars direct and they told me they would not be in a any stores until april. Mine arrives at my local Ace this tuesday. Apparently the fine folks at Fiskars need to bone up on their product knowledge.

Also, Ace calls it the Fiskars 36" splitting axe. Nobody I talked to had a clue what an X27 was.

I tried the X25 out. Did not like it. I'm 6'4 in my boots, and the handle was just to short. Thought I was gonna chop my leg off if I missed what I was aiming at. Friend of mine is 5'8, he loves his. Guess it depends on the user.

I have a variety of hardwood to split when my axe comes in. Some two year old oak, and some big trunk pieces from a monster maple that was cut down in october. Curious to see if I can split those big boys with it. My 8lb maul just makes little dents. Will keep you posted when I try it out.

Picked up mine last night from Ace. Says X27 right on it. I like it a lot.....:clap:

We don't know that "mass works here" because we don't know the reason the 8# maul hasn't been working.

of course mass works but it have the cost of lifting it up, but there are two parts in the splitting energy of a maul/axe....there is no "free energy" in a heavier head....you have to work for it....

part one is the torque/force the human applies to it
part two is the force from gravity that mother earth put into it

These two will add together....

It is only part two that will differ between a heavy head (10#) and a light head (4#), because you will be able to accelerate the lighter head to a higher speed so part one will come out the same between the two different heads...

of course mass works but it have the cost of lifting it up, but there are two parts in the splitting energy of a maul/axe....there is no "free energy" in a heavier head....you have to work for it....

part one is the torque/force the human applies to it
part two is the force from gravity that mother earth put into it

These two will add together....

It is only part two that will differ between a heavy head (10#) and a light head (4#), because you will be able to accelerate the lighter head to a higher speed so part one will come out the same between the two different heads...
@AKKAMAAN Here it is, I'm surprised this one never resurfaced with over 200 posts in it.

Do I win thread resurrection of the week?

@AKKAMAAN Here it is, I'm surprised this one never resurfaced with over 200 posts in it.
Thx @svk, I've been checking into this thread a cpl times per year to see if it is alive...LOL
Honestly I am not a fan of this long threads,
1st they seem to lose their main topic after a while
2nd it's hard for a new member or a guy new to the thread to catch up with what's been posted before
3rd sometimes a subject get kinda stuck i the discussion, and will be better off with a new start...
Fiskars Super Splitter #7854 is history for most members today, now it is XYY and XZZ tha's on the chopping block

Do I win thread resurrection of the week?
Sure, but I leave that to decide for the members that never was involved in the thread. But I don't want to wake this one up, other than for going back for a nostalgic trip...LOL

Btw I still use my Fiskars Super Splitter #7854, and I wouldn't trade for X25 and X27 combined, not even if you threw in a Husqvarna S2800 in the package....
They ruined the design with the new 1/2" wider and rounded edge...But I assume it was because customers that don't understand wanted a more regular axe-shaped splitter.....
S**t, now you got me going again... LOL

Tempers sure have raised over splitting tools in the past. I'm surprised how mild it's been over the winter as we had some lively ones last fall.

I picked my dad up this as a contribution to the fire pit we just built while I am visiting them in KY.
:D
5212C934-BA5C-4A82-9328-98F80266FE53_zpsuq4ttjex.jpg

Tempers sure have raised over splitting tools in the past. I'm surprised how mild it's been over the winter as we had some lively ones last fall.

Still waiting to see the first custom forged/made super deluxe magnum 1000 buck splitting axe.

then we can argue about which is the second best LOL

Thx @svk, I've been ....
.. Btw I still use my Fiskars Super Splitter #7854, and I wouldn't trade for X25 and X27 combined, not even if you threw in a Husqvarna S2800 in the package....
They ruined the design with the new 1/2" wider and rounded edge...But I assume it was because customers that don't understand wanted a more regular axe-shaped splitter.....
S**t, now you got me going again... LOL

So , a Wetterlings or Husqvarna splitting axe should be close to a traditional version of the 7824 ?

146_VUE2955_0007_A4.jpg

Sorta ?

If you guys keep posting pictures of those pretty axes in a Fiskars thread someone is going to come in here and start a fight. Just sayin. ;)

Curious if anyone has tried the Stihl splitting axe? I walk buy it at the hardware store all the time, price tag is around $110 if i remember right. Looks really nice and like the head design. Little more than I want to spend....

I am not sure, will look if I happen to be at the hardware store today.....heh...I think it is the PA 50 from pics on the ol' interweb

Latest posts

Back