Fiskars Splitting Axes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'm going to simply close my eyes and buy one (leaning towards the x27...again)

My hypothesis is this: "if you don't know what you are missing, then you ain't missing nothin" :msp_biggrin: I haven't used the 28" or the 36" super splitters.

I just got this feeling since I'm a little on the tall side (6'3") the longer handle will fit me a little better. Also, since I only crack wood for giggles (don't do it for a living and don't really heat the house too much) if/when I get tired I can hang it up and call it a day. Who knows, might even be a little safer standing a little farther away from the wood.

I never compared the new 36" long handle X27 with the old #7854...I compared X25 with the old #7854, they have same handle length, 28".
My apologies then. I had read so much recently on the new, long anticipated 36" handle that I thought the thread was about that comparison. I believe that also has the wider head, but now maybe I'm mixing all of them up in my head!

I still think that there are too many variables to say one is absolutely better than the other under all conditions. Diameter of log, bucked length, temperature, moisture content, type of tree, coefficient of friction, head speed, splitting surface hardness, wrist flick, angle of head to log, cycles of the tide, etc. But as you said, with the wood you split an even narrower head may be better. Where is the kid who was looking for a senior project for his college degree?

I do have to say that I've used your bungee trick with success and plan to use it in the spring with multiples stood together as one of the other guys has shown. :cheers:

After wanting a SS for a long time, I had a friend pick me up one while he was in WA.
We in Canada could not buy a 7854 except for one store in Ontario. I actually contacted Fiskars customer service and that is what I was told.
After receiving my 7854 on Tuesday, I am wandering through the Canadian Tire in my town on Saturday and there is an X25. We can now get a Fiskars Super Splitter in Canada. Only trouble is it is an X25. There is a difference, I am lucky to have my 7854. A week earlier I would have been jumping up and down about a X25, now I am just glad for dumb luck. It just felt different. I showed my wife while I was there and told her "It can't be the same". I have not had them side by side but there is something different. I am happy. I am also happy that Canada can at least get the X25 now. Why we could not get it before is beyond me.

I am looking forward to getting the long handle version in the future.
I have about 4 monster- mega mauls and 1 has a longer handle, I'd guess 4 to 6 inches and that is the most comfotable for me at 6' 185 lbs., of those 4 and seems to force its way through the tough stuff the best. I had been using the shorter handle ones until I got the longer handle 1 a little over a year ago near the time I got the Fiskars. I love the Fiskers for comfort and a superb power to weight ratio but if I have some tough stuff to split I take to the monster maul and noodling. There isn't much frozen that the monster maul will not split. The short handle Fiskers has bounced off some of the wood and come mighty close to coming back and hitting my head. I think the long handle version will be safer and more effective for people my size and up. Very easy to split wood may be as well or better done with the shorter version when you don't need full strength swings.
Will not no for sure until I put 1 to the test.

After wanting a SS for a long time, I had a friend pick me up one while he was in WA.
We in Canada could not buy a 7854 except for one store in Ontario. I actually contacted Fiskars customer service and that is what I was told.
After receiving my 7854 on Tuesday, I am wandering through the Canadian Tire in my town on Saturday and there is an X25. We can now get a Fiskars Super Splitter in Canada. Only trouble is it is an X25. There is a difference, I am lucky to have my 7854. A week earlier I would have been jumping up and down about a X25, now I am just glad for dumb luck. It just felt different. I showed my wife while I was there and told her "It can't be the same". I have not had them side by side but there is something different. I am happy. I am also happy that Canada can at least get the X25 now. Why we could not get it before is beyond me.
I am glad you got your 7854. I do not think you ever will look back to an X25. Cool that you also can feel and see the difference. Hope you also get to try try the new X25 later on, for reference. It would be cool to hear your report when you have figured out the difference.
One thing though, I noticed with the new X series, is that the orange rear part of the handle have a new rubber-ish feel to it, that will be good for a even better and safer grip.

Somebody send me one of each of the Fiskars Magic Mauls and I will test them out and report my findings. Or better yet deliver them, split the wood and I will watch and determine which is the best after all my pile is split!:deadhorse:

Shades of Dolmar v. Husky!!:deadhorse:

Split your wood the way you want. Buy the Fiskars or a hydraulic splitter or only cut wood the size you can burn. What does it matter?

Rant concluded...:taped:

One thing though, I noticed with the new X series, is that the orange rear part of the handle have a new rubber-ish feel to it, that will be good for a even better and safer grip.

This is correct.. although after being used to my shorter handle 7854 the X27 did give me a blister. Ill be using gloves till i can toughen up!:monkey:

I now have both handle lengths and to tell the truth i still like both. If nothing else though.. my shins feel safer using the longer length and that is worth the difference for me.

Both are great tools!

Update:
I got to use both the 28 and 36 this morning and it was about a wash. Anything the 36 would split, the 28 would too; anything the 36 wouldn't split, the 28 wouldn't either. I could swing the 28 noticably faster and it wasn't as tiring to use so I'll probably be using it more.
Keep in mind i'm 5'6 and about 170 so the 36 is probably going to be better for taller people and/or people with the upper body strength of a gorilla.
Thx for taking the time to let us know about this. I'm leaning toward the longer handled model simply because I'm 6'2 and, even though I wear steel toes when splitting, don't like dodging my (all too often) mis-swings to the ankles. Now, if I can just find one...

I am not biasing my self...

Of course it is the same force, I am comparing two 28" handle axes with different head shape...X25 vs 7854

Okay - I lost track of the thread. You are absolutely right on the two models you were comparing (although there are a lot more variables than just the surface area. I won't go into those here.). Excellent sketches. I'm heading to ACE today up in Macon (if they are open) and see what is on the shelf. If I can score either the old 7854 or the new x27 (longer handle), I'm cancelling my order with Fiskars Online.

Thx for taking the time to let us know about this. I'm leaning toward the longer handled model simply because I'm 6'2 and, even though I wear steel toes when splitting, don't like dodging my (all too often) mis-swings to the ankles. Now, if I can just find one...

I can't find one in town (only thing i can put my hands on is a 28" splitting axe at Sears with the 2.x lb head).

I did talk with local Ace folks and they said they could order the new x27 models and like a few folks have said...$49.99 (which oddly enough is about $4 less than what they sell the old version of the 28" super splitter for)

42763-1.jpg

This looks awful similar to the new design of the 28" SS, and it is only $30 at smoky mountain knife works in east, TN. Really thought about trying it out but I'm afraid to cause it is lighter than the the SS. Here is a link to it at SMKW.

42763-1.jpg

This looks awful similar to the new design of the 28" SS, and it is only $30 at smoky mountain knife works in east, TN. Really thought about trying it out but I'm afraid to cause it is lighter than the the SS. Here is a link to it at SMKW.

Gerber are "married" into to the Fiskars Corp. That must be the same as the new Fiskars X25

Well I am still awaiting some reviews on the x27, simply cause I have heard it both ways about the height issue. I have heard of a 6'4" man say the x25 is not too short and I have heard a 6' man say the x27 has a better length. So when I here some more x27 feedback I will make my decision. No one locally sells the Fiskars splitters, so I will have to order one if I get one. I want to make the right decision the first time.

Fiskars

I purchased the 7854 Fiskars Super Splitting axe a while back, and it was good, but not great on Oak. Plus even when splitting off a large stump (cutting edge not coming in contact with the ground), my Fiskars developed some small chips on the cutting edge. I've read about this on other discussions about the Fiskars. I bought it at Sears so I know it isn't a copy cat. Like I said, the Fiskars is good, but not great. Now as far as great I purchased the Gransfors-Bruks splitting maul, and both there splitting axes. Three all together. Allot of money, but definitely Swedish quality. They really hold an edge. Unbelievable is all I can say. They are costly though, no doubt about that.

Last edited:
I purchased the 7854 Fiskars Super Splitting axe a while back, and it was good, but not great on Oak. Plus even when splitting off a large stump (cutting edge not coming in contact with the ground), my Fiskars developed some small chips on the cutting edge. I've read about this on other discussions about the Fiskars. I bought it at Sears so I know it isn't a copy cat. Like I said, the Fiskars is good, but not great. Now as far as great I purchased the Gransfors-Bruks splitting maul, and both there splitting axes. Three all together. Allot of money, but definitely Swedish quality. They really hold an edge. Unbelievable is all I can say. They are costly though, no doubt about that.
Good post Mark! I have some (3!) Gränsfors hatchets. Beautiful pieces! Wish I also had...
The 5 1/2# maul
slaggyxa.jpg

and the rest of the Gränsfors beautiful arsenal of supersharp tools.

For me, they would be way to nice to use outdoors, since I am the type of person that want to leave my splitting tool stuck in the chopping block 24/7....LOL...
Fiskars can take that beat, but a Gränsfors is "high maintenance", if you want to keep a nice tool "for ever".... I used to have a few cheap mauls with half rotten wood handles....till I found the "maintenance free" FSS 7854, a 3 years ago....The maul handles???......chopped them into firewood with my FSS, seasoned them and got them cremated......:hmm3grin2orange:
Retire my FSS 7854???......Will never be on the agenda!!!!

Just to feed my hunger for the Gränsfors nice tools, I plan to buy the little splitting hatchet, to use infront of my new Heartstone woodstove...
minstaklyvyxa.jpg

woodstove.jpg

That is correct. I have the gerber and the head is exactly the same as the new x27.

I have seen two different heads on the Gerber splitting axes (online). Fiskars had 2 different ones also (super splitter and splitting axe) but at least they called them something different and gave them different item #s. (7854 & 7854). Gerber seems to give them the same item # (42763) but there are different photos.

This is driving me crazy.

Splitting Axe: Model G-42763
115195_115224.jpg

Gerber 42763 Splitting Axe
21b7KBqR0oL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Akkamaan

Akkamaan,

Good to here from ya, still love your video. Yes, the Gransfors-Bruks are costly, and probably foolish to pay that kind of price, but that wood sure does feel good in the hand.

Nice stove you have. Well time to stoke up the wood burner. Take care.;)

Back