Fiskars Splitting Axes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got fed up.
I called Fiskars and got the apparently secret phone number to their online ordering partner company. I called and they told me my X27 was still on backorder. This was after I sent them an email... here, have a chuckle at my frustration:
Okay - Come on now. I ordered this the FIRST day it was available on the Fiskars' site. Other folks I know are getting theirs from ACE Hardware as of yesterday and today, and last week. What is the story that the Fiskars online sales are lagging behind other retailers (again, I ordered this the first day they were available)? Also, when, exactly, is my axe going to ship, please.

I cancelled my order, went to Amazon, and got the 7854 for $39.17 shipped. So, I'll have to wonder if I would have been happier with the X27's longer handle, but I am sure I can't go wrong with the 7854.

12lbs.

Ahh, I bought my 12lb. wedge head maul at Sams club back in 1991. Has a steel handle in it. Split with it till two years ago when I found the Ludell glass handled splitting axe. My son was 12 at the time and I wanted a smaller splitting axe for him to swing. He picked it up pretty quick. I wish I would have seen the #7854 Fiskars 4 1/4lb. SS back then, I would have been on top of it like white on rice. I hardly ever pick that 12+ pounder up now, unless there is a really nasty round I want to hit on in front of me. I may go get the Fiskars when I get a few spare coins. I'm 6'3", but I'm gonna get the short handle axe for the speed of it. I have two longer handled ones, the short handle should be tits.

Comparison pics

here is some pics for comparison.
The used one is the 7854 model 28" handle and the new is the X27 with 36"handle

Fiskars001.jpg

Fiskars002.jpg

Fiskars003.jpg

Fiskars005.jpg

Fiskars006.jpg

What's the verdict?

My x27 is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

I ordered it because i'm a little on the tall side and my other 28" axe (not a super splitter) swings nicely, but feels a little too short.

What's the verdict?

My x27 is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

I ordered it because i'm a little on the tall side and my other 28" axe (not a super splitter) swings nicely, but feels a little too short.

For me I like the extra length.I don't think that either one has an advantage or splits better, other than it is more comfortable. I am 5'10" and I get the X27,kids get the other two with the 28" handles.

Fiskars006.jpg

I probably should have held out for the 36". I got pissed at fiskars and ordered the 7854. Now, the head shape from THIS angle is substantially different, with the 7854 having 'wings'. I would think that would help in the splitting, and the x27 be more of a combo axe/splitter. But, from the feedback thus far, it sounds like they split nearly identical.

I know Fiskars Super Splitter is not marketed in UK. Try to search for Gerber products...There is a Gerber version (identical) of the old FSS #7854....

Not doubting you, but you know this for fact? The Gerber I see(G-42763) says it is 28 1/2" OAL. What model# Gerber is identical to the Fiskars SS 7854?
Thanks.

Not doubting you, but you know this for fact? The Gerber I see(G-42763) says it is 28 1/2" OAL. What model# Gerber is identical to the Fiskars SS 7854?
Thanks.

Not sure of the Gerber model, but check out cjnspecial's thread where he compared a few splitters.

I've seen the gerber version of the super splitter on the cabelas website

For the life of me, I can't tell if Gerber discontinued their super splitter or just rolled it out. Nonetheless, I've learned that you can't trust some of the graphics you see on the retailers website (obviously you can trust the real photos though)

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=164012

but you know this for fact?
not 100% sure.... It was actually a picture posted here on the forum a while ago....hmmmm....could have been a Gerber version of the Fiskars X25 too....sorry...I still think It can be worth a try for UK members to search for a Gerber version ...

not 100% sure.... It was actually a picture posted here on the forum a while ago....hmmmm....could have been a Gerber version of the Fiskars X25 too....sorry...I still think It can be worth a try for UK members to search for a Gerber version ...
10-4. I like your vids. I want the short handle version for speed and versatility. I'm tall, but I can use that short handle for what it's made for.
What's the song on the shorter video? I like it a lot.

Looking at the pics above, if the extra width of the blade bothered you too much, you could just grind it back a little.

Looking at the pics above, if the extra width of the blade bothered you too much, you could just grind it back a little.

I can get them for the same price. the Gerber may be even better suited to speed, being shorter and lighter.

10-4. I like your vids. I want the short handle version for speed and versatility. I'm tall, but I can use that short handle for what it's made for.
Thanks kmcinms!!:msp_smile:
I agree with you about the handle, no seaftey problem either, if one stick to my "program"....LOL:msp_laugh:
What's the song on the shorter video? I like it a lot.
The music is , Seether - "Fade Away"....It turned out much better than I thought from the beginning....but it still is a song you either love or hate for this video....:heart:

No, I would grind it down, I could probably live with a 1/2" wider edge....LOL, but it still hurts the made the change to the worse IMO....:angry:
I am happy I have my FSS 7854, and I am planning to buy a back up one (while they still are in stock), for the future

Thanks kmcinms!!:msp_smile:
I agree with you about the handle, no seaftey problem either, if one stick to my "program"....LOL:msp_laugh:

The music is , Seether - "Fade Away"....It turned out much better than I thought from the beginning....but it still is a song you either love or hate for this video....:heart:

:bang: Heh, Forgot all about looking at the soundtrack info by the time I commented here on your vid. :D I knew that before I axed the question. That was the first thought that came to mind when I started it up, who is that? It works good in the vid. :msp_smile:

Back