Fiskars Super splitting axe review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you break the handle because you were using it to split, lifetime guarantee. If you were doing something wrong, well, you used the wrong tool for the job.

thanks for nothing

I was asking a question, dont respond to me like I was stupid. It was listed as a splitting maul, most mauls are intended to drive a wedge as well as split. So let me get this straight, you cant drive a wedge with it, and it is a splitting maul? sounds like an inferior tool to me. Why would I buy a maul and a sledge, when other mauls act as a sledge in one tool. I sure dont want to be lugging more tools than I need to to a job.

I was asking a question, dont respond to me like I was stupid. It was listed as a splitting maul, most mauls are intended to drive a wedge as well as split. So let me get this straight, you cant drive a wedge with it, and it is a splitting maul? sounds like an inferior tool to me. Why would I buy a maul and a sledge, when other mauls act as a sledge in one tool. I sure dont want to be lugging more tools than I need to to a job.

No it's listed as a splitting AXE. Not a maul.

http://tinyurl.com/ycoqqdk

this is not the regular 8# "beef" tool you buy for 8-14$ at every hardware store....I would call it a "high performance tool" for splitting firewood....so depending on how you want to respect this tool.....you can use it different ways....for me personally....IT IS JUST A TOOL.....a dead tool....not a pet or anything else that have a life.....I bought it because I wanted a tool that could stay outdoors, in rain and snow, cold and hot, dry and wet, all year around without getting a rutten wood handle....so I use my two FSS's to punch each other if they occasionly get stuck, or if it is a way too tough round to split....and they might get a dent or two, here and there....in my opinion...the FSS is made to take a tough beat.....and if #### happens....break a shaft or what ever....I WILL TAKE IT BACK TO THE STORE AND CLAIM A LIFETIME WARRANTY.....no matter how the accident happened.....Fiskars shows a commersial where a tractor run over the shaft with out breaking it.....Then I take advantage of this ability too.....THESE FISKARS ARE MADE TO BE "BADASS" DURABLE AXES/MAULS....

I sure do respect others way to "respect" their tools, but I am not putting 500hp offroad pick-up truck in the garage, and only drive 35mph on a nicely paved neighborhood street......

And the most damages I have on my FSS's so far is that my German Shepherd made some chewing on the shaft.....which actually gave it a better grip too.....LOL...

EDIT: Ok, i am using the term maul occasionly, and I agree that it is an AXE....
BTW good post Dalmation90

Last edited:
I was asking a question, don't respond to me like I was stupid.

I didn't respond like you were stupid.

I stated it is an ax, not a hammer. You didn't state whether you were talking about felling or splitting wedges in your original post.

I do use my Fiskars on occasion to set felling wedges. I would never subject it, or any ax, to the abuse of using it like a sledge hammer to drive wedges. I would hope no one understanding it is an ax would use it to drive splitting wedges.

Fiskars is quite clear -- their name for it is "Super Splitting Axe."

Anyone who calls it or lists it as a splitting maul does so incorrectly. It is not a maul.

For most wood I and many other folks split, the 4-1/4# Fiskars axe does the job with less effort, less impact on our muscles and joints, and allows us to work longer then using an 8# maul. 90% of my splitting can be done with the Fiskars.

The other 10% needs other tools -- a chainsaw to noodle, a wedge-and-sledge, or donating it to the neighbor's logsplitter pile because its not worth my time to split by hand.

I like my Fiskars SS too. Only use Monster Maul and 6 lb now and then for special cases.

Be careful using it until you understand that it is NOT the same as a longer handled maul and modify your stance and swing accordingly.

One thing I have noticed about the hollow handle is that it can fill up with water and then possibly freeze and crack. I found ice in mine one day.

This is my first post here. I actually came here because I looking for a good splitting ax or maul. I had a whole pile of locust and only a small Craftsman ax that I used for camping. I first bought a maul from Lowes. It wasn't bad, but I picked up a Fiskars SS and promptly returned the maul to Lowes since I had only split 3 rounds. I have always wondered how the head of the Fiskars is held on to the handle.
If someone has a broken Fiskars ax, I would like to see a picture and if you send the ax to me I will pay the shipping. :popcorn:

Last edited:
I have always wondered how the head of the Fiskars is held on to the handle.

I think the plastic composite handle is "casted" in one piece, into the head...would not be surprized if the head have a "complex" hollow structure, to make secure the whole thing....the plastic composite iyself, must have some secret too...

I am wondering if it is similar to the ax head in this thread?

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=125888

yes I think its pretty close...this is definately another head though....
axehead.jpg

Well after reading all 20 pages, I had to have one. I spent half the morning runing to lowes, HD, and on the phone to Ace and a few other places in Panama city and could not locate one, my first stop was sears and they were closed. After cub scouts tonight I went to sears and there next to the Fiskars chopping axe $29.99 was the SSA for 39.99, wwoohhooo, the price difference threw me off :monkey: but it was in stock ,got the 9.99 sharpener too. Well I bought it and took it home and tried it on some stuff I had trimmed in the yard, the unknow wood split like it was nothing, magic dust in the handle or something. Then to the Camphor, that stuffs like rubber, but after you split off some of the outside it gets easier, for being not much more than a camp axe its amazing. Thanks for the good advice.

Greetings from Ireland!

Many thanks for the excellent advice on your forum, I too bought a Fiskars SSA from Baileys and had it shipped to Ireland as it is not sold here at all!

It is the mutts nuts and am totally satisfied with it. Worth every penny, got the sport axe and the sharpener for good measure. No need for a maul when you have the SSA! :cheers:

Greetings from Ireland!

Many thanks for the excellent advice on your forum, I too bought a Fiskars SSA from Baileys and had it shipped to Ireland as it is not sold here at all!

It is the mutts nuts and am totally satisfied with it. Worth every penny, got the sport axe and the sharpener for good measure. No need for a maul when you have the SSA! :cheers:

Congrats navanman!!!
And welcome to our forum.....
Why don't start a Fiskars business now.....whole Ireland as a market....you could sell a lot of these FSS Axes.....
I have some (811) Irish viewers on my Youtube video....LOL
Good Luck with your Fiskars....
Also on Facebook now
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WoAOYLMU1Wc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WoAOYLMU1Wc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

youtube_ireland.jpg

Many thanks AKKAMAAN, excellent video.
Stance as shown is all important and working your way around the log. Like the cord to keep everything upright. Nice wood store by the way, something to aim for myself!
Wood stoves are getting very popular here ,might write to Fiskars, who knows they might give me demo SSA!

Stance as shown is all important and working your way around the log. Like the cord to keep everything upright. Nice wood store by the way, something to aim for myself!
Wood stoves are getting very popular here ,might write to Fiskars, who knows they might give me demo SSA!

I wish I had done it here....I have probobly "sold" hundreds just here at this forum....hahahaha....
GO FOR IT!!
We will all help you out with promotions and "ads"......hahahaha

Happy St.Patricks day to you, little late but maybe you celebrate all week long....LOL....:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

+1, the video was very helpful. Really helps illistrate the technique mentioned in prior posts. I can't wait till mine shows up.

Latest posts

Back