Fiskars x27 36inch handle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll have to start checking the local stores. I'm surprised to see that it's cheaper than the shorter handled one.

You are correct.The item # in small print on the Ace site is different.Sorry guys.Dont order this.....

OK, I am The Devils Advocate now......

Don't order the other, X27, one either....they had 3 of them at my local ACE Hardware store. I toook it out of its case and swung it in the store, and it DID NOT FEEL GOOD....I am 6'0 190lbs, and I do not see that I would improve my splitting with that un-proportional long handle .....feels weird to me...I use a lot of vrist action when I split with my FSS 28", and this 36" handle totally disabled that vrist caction I love to use....most likely it will take a "regular maul swing", and with that 4 1/2# head it wont split.... "try before buy" is my advice....Good Luck all of you that cried for the long handle, I DO HOPE YOU GUYS LIKE IT!!!

Price: 54.95$

The guys and I were splitting walnut the other day. So I offered up a bet. Me and a 11 year old boy against 3 men with a splitter. Needless to say they were going to town to buy the Mt. Dew for us. But hey we got 4 cord split in under 2 hours. Me and the 11y/o with my X27 and them with the splitter and a 4 way wedge.

Ray

OK, I am The Devils Advocate now......

Don't order the other, X27, one either....they had 3 of them at my local ACE Hardware store. I toook it out of its case and swung it in the store, and it DID NOT FEEL GOOD....I am 6'0 190lbs, and I do not see that I would improve my splitting with that un-proportional long handle .....feels weird to me...I use a lot of vrist action when I split with my FSS 28", and this 36" handle totally disabled that vrist caction I love to use....most likely it will take a "regular maul swing", and with that 4 1/2# head it wont split.... "try before buy" is my advice....Good Luck all of you that cried for the long handle, I DO HOPE YOU GUYS LIKE IT!!!

Price: 54.95$

I had my x27 sitting around the house for a few days before I had a chance to use it. I took many mock swings and felt the same way you did. It felt really awkward and I wasn't able to get any of the wrist snap that I get with my SSA-28.

Once I got a chance to actually split some wood, it performed much better than my mock swings led me to believe it would. With an overhead or "executioner style" swing I still wasn't able to get the snap of the SSA-28 but it still split quite well. With a longer roundhouse swing I was able to get a tremendous snap and speed out of the x27. I think that because of it's length, the swing needs to cover more distance for it's energy to be properly unleashed. This means that for shorter guys and/or guys splitting on a stump, it needs to be round housed. That's how I felt anyway and I'm about 68in tall with a 70in reach, splitting on a stump that puts the impact point at about mid thigh.

With a longer roundhouse swing I was able to get a tremendous snap and speed out of the x27. I think that because of it's length, the swing needs to cover more distance for it's energy to be properly unleashed. This means that for shorter guys and/or guys splitting on a stump, it needs to be round housed. That's how I felt anyway and I'm about 68in tall with a 70in reach, splitting on a stump that puts the impact point at about mid thigh.
your conclusion makes sense. A 8" longer handle, and the same head weight as the 28", will only give the added 8" of potential energy from gravity, you lift head 8" higher. But you have to add the same energy to get it there. So the head energy at impact will increase a little, but you have to work harder for it.

If the elevation from the log up to the top of the swing arc is 5 1/3 ft or 64", a 8" height increase is 12.5%. If the gravity is 50% of the total energy applied, the real increase in impact energy will be 6.25%. All at the cost of extra muscle energy to lift it 8" higher. Probably those 6.25% only cover the loss of the wrist snap effect....
I know this is "theory", but so was also the science behind the trip to the moon....

Ace #

hey i asked my local ace about the x27, said they were on back order but here is the ace # they gave me 7268675. thought about ordering it from baileys but i would rather shop local.

I have one and I love it. Splits like a 12lb maul, swings like a 6lb.

I found on Amazon that they would redirect you to the X25 if you searched for the X27. They were sold out and still looking to make a sale.

I'm no good at math, but I did find that it split as well as my 8lb maul in a full round house swing, just by raising it over my head and chopping down. I was splitting some BIG chunks of 6 month old maple with it, did about a cord in two hours. Little to no back or shoulder pain afterwards. With my 8lb maul, doing the same work, I'd be hitting the advil after. My one and only complaint is that it does rebound worse than my maul on the big, impossible to split by hand pieces. I took a few whacks at a 24" fresh cut maple round. The X27 made little dents, my maul made bigger dents. The rebounding was nothing I could not easily control, just playing devils advocate. I'm 6'4 in my boots, and did not like the X25. Handle was to short. I was afraid if I missed or it deflected, I would put it right into my leg. My aim ain't so good, so I waited for the longer handle to come out. If you split wood, buy one of these things. Worth every penny.

I got mine yesterday from Bailey's. I am 5' 6" and 130lbs, I have always liked a longer handle in order to get more momentum going. This thing is incredible. I took it out last night about 7:00 when it was dark and snowing b/c I couldn't wait to try it. I was splitting 1/4s of a big oak and the X27 would shoot right through everything I put in front of it. It was almost as if the wood was afraid of getting hit, and fell apart right before the X27 made contact. Even when there were knots, that I would normally have to straddle with the conventional maul, I could hit dead center and the X27 would find a way split it. I think this product is great and I can't wait to get home from work to use it some more. Recommend to anyone regardless of their size.

Got my x27 today from Bailey's..tried her out..it is unreal..so easy splitting oak..apple..will probaby never use my old maul again..if you are thinking about trying one but don't want to spend the bucks..do it....:cheers: you wont regret it!!!!

your conclusion makes sense. A 8" longer handle, and the same head weight as the 28", will only give the added 8" of potential energy from gravity, you lift head 8" higher. But you have to add the same energy to get it there. So the head energy at impact will increase a little, but you have to work harder for it.

If the elevation from the log up to the top of the swing arc is 5 1/3 ft or 64", a 8" height increase is 12.5%. If the gravity is 50% of the total energy applied, the real increase in impact energy will be 6.25%. All at the cost of extra muscle energy to lift it 8" higher. Probably those 6.25% only cover the loss of the wrist snap effect....
I know this is "theory", but so was also the science behind the trip to the moon....

It would also add a little bit of leverage. Good to have another option, anyway.

More safety for me with the longer handle..thats is worth a considerable amount!

Latest posts

Back