Fiskars X27 What a Piece of Plastic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yep, never hits the rocks with the axe; noticed right away she has the wrist snap down to a tee. My dad taught me that back around '75, still using the same maul. Depending on the species and how straight or twisty or knotty the wood is determines whether I use that technique. If only I had a nickel for every piece of wood split with that maul.............I could add to my saw collection :)

The kid is probably trying to land a chick. Times are different today. If somebody will teach him to do it right before he gets seriously injured maybe he can get one like this:

Yummy.

I would be on axe number 5 half way through the vid. She has some skills, that is for sure.

You aren't going to split those rounds like an onion with a Fiskars. haha. Quartering with the saw or a hydraulic splitter is the correct way.

I won't be trading in the #8 Council maul for a Fiskars toy or a hydraulic splitter FWIW.

This guy doesn't use the fiskars correctly.he needs to start at the edge and cut it up like an onion.his swing is feeble with no follow through..I split over 25 cords this summer with the fiskars and this is embarrassing.
I agree, his technique is poor. On a round that large, 1. I would never try splitting right down the middle, 2. Always work on the side of the round you are standing on, 3. Choose an appropriate tool, 4. Put the round on a firm flat ground. A fiskar is not an appropriate tool for this large of a round, sledge and wedge is. Once the piece is halfed then I'd give the fiskars another try to see if I could break it up more but wouldnt waste half the time he did with the two axes before I noodled the round partially or fully.

You aren't going to split those rounds like an onion with a Fiskars. haha. Quartering with the saw or a hydraulic splitter is the correct way.

Straight grain? Sure ya can, just work around from the outside. First pieces make thin, slab the bark off. Then some whacks aiming in, but hitting the outside edge, follow the radial cracks or where cracks could be. Now go back to busting off from the outside, going around the round, hit between your previous radial hits, that piece busts off, you have a usable split. Lather rinse repeat.

Diameter doesn't matter once it is real big, big being something you can't hit in the middle and bust it easy, but technique does matter.

yep, never hits the rocks with the axe; noticed right away she has the wrist snap down to a tee.
Her technique is good - better than I am with the twist (my aim is poor when I do that, although I have been practising).

On the other hand, whatever she is splitting is small and just about falls apart with a tap. Much of what I split requires a heck of a lot more force just to get the tool to penetrate enough to allow the edge to dig in on one side and allow a twist to be effective - she is barely swinging it, carrying no speed and the handle is short.

Hey what kind of wood was it?

I'd have to look at it again, seems it was oak, though?

Big ones. I had an oak I took down here before I was on this site. The rounds, once they got big, were large enough I could only haul three in the tractor tote box, then as I worked towards the butt end, I could only haul two. When they got that big, there was no even tipping them back up to noodle or roll and flop into the box, had to be split where they lay. I used that technique to bust them up. Used the dang dinky utility axe to do it.

Learned that years ago working up hugemongous dead elm that I bucked with a big crosscut. Yes, it was a PITA but got it done.

Her technique is good - better than I am with the twist (my aim is poor when I do that, although I have been practising).

On the other hand, whatever she is splitting is small and just about falls apart with a tap. Much of what I split requires a heck of a lot more force just to get the tool to penetrate enough to allow the edge to dig in on one side and allow a twist to be effective - she is barely swinging it, carrying no speed and the handle is short.

Please don't denigrate the little ladies over here. ROFL.

She's getting some good club head speed. Control is the major factor in the first place.

Wood splitting with your host, unclemoustache's cousin chronic metrosexual, "Art Manly," and his rusty mushroomed out Wal-Maul.

Straight grain? Sure ya can, just work around from the outside. First pieces make thin, slab the bark off. Then some whacks aiming in, but hitting the outside edge, follow the radial cracks or where cracks could be. Now go back to busting off from the outside, going around the round, hit between your previous radial hits, that piece busts off, you have a usable split. Lather rinse repeat.

Diameter doesn't matter once it is real big, big being something you can't hit in the middle and bust it easy, but technique does matter.

Amen. I've found that is the easiest way to split large rounds with the Fiskars. You are the best at describing/giving instruction so that a 5 year old can understand. Bravo

Latest posts

Back