Fiskars X27 What a Piece of Plastic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi folks!

One of you kindly sent me the link to this thread. Thanks!

To be totally clear, this was for fun. I respect your expertise, and yes, if I wasn't around my father would have split these with a wedge or simply sawed them in half. But I was home for a few days for Christmas and I was supposed to break up these rounds so my father (bad back) could lift them and split them himself (with the Fiskars— it's a great old man tool). I had originally intended to do a comparison of both quartering and slabbing techniques, but I didn't have enough time or enough clear rounds to do that. I included the Fiskars because it's very popular among the internet community (love or hate) and it has its place as a cheap tool, but I wanted to show that it is not as effective for splitting big rounds, especially knotty ones.

My family has heated our house with firewood all my life, and I've been splitting firewood with an 8 lb traditional maul for over a decade, which is the better part of my life. The Fiskars is useful in some cases (small diameter, straight grained stuff) where its light weight and maneuverability make it quick and the wood will break in one hit. Since I am young and broad shouldered enough to swing it, my 30 lb maul is a great tool too. I fully understand that I am blessed to have the youth and strength that I do, and I try not to abuse my body.

I made the 30 lb maul after spending a few years doing manual rock breaking for landscaping with a 20 lb hammer. It seemed like the 12 lb maul I had was pretty easy to swing, and I'd get more powerful strikes with a heavier tool. Was I right? Yes. Is this a solution for everybody, or even me in a few years? No. Of course not!

And finally, in defense of the 30 lb maul, while I totally agree that wedges would be much less troublesome, I would say from my experience that for the entire process this is faster, at least the way I use wedges. A wedge would be faster to quarter these rounds, but then I'd still spend some time pounding on the quarters with the 8 lb maul. For breaking up the quarters, I would still prefer to use a heavier tool than an 8 lb maul. I suppose this is callow impatience, but I don't like having to strike more than once for a split.

It takes about one to four minutes to break the round with the 30 lb maul, and then five to ten minutes to break up the quarters and pile them up. Using a wedge would be roughly the same amount of time to quarter, though probably a little less. Using an 8 lb maul to break up the quarters would be slower (but certainly less effort!) at least the way I swing it. Someone mentioned that I have terrible form for my swing— this is the way my father taught me to swing the tool, and it works better than any other method I've seen in person or online, but I'm totally receptive to a better way, because at the end of the day I have to split a lot of firewood every year. I know of the axe-twist method, but it tends not to work quartering big rounds. So if I'm doing something wrong with my swing, I'd love to fix it! As for the hydraulic splitter, my family has a 26 ton hydraulic splitter that would have torn these rounds apart. However, it would have required moving the splitter (which is fairly heavy by itself) from one round to another, since these rounds weighed 800 pounds or so, which is too heavy for our little tractor's bucket. And once they were split in half, it would still be necessary to wrestle a 400 pound half around to split it again. I'd say for effort hydraulics about break even with my 30 lb maul. But wedges are definitely the way to go to do this fastest with the least effort.

For general woodsplitting, I think that a 20 lb maul with the same wide-angle as this one would be a somewhat more practical tool. But again, I'm not a professional, and this was mostly for fun.

Thanks for your interest, even if you think I'm an idiot!

It was me, Bud. Welcome to Arboristsite.

I know what you are saying hes going to get hurt with that. I used to be like that then you get wiser.

Me too. Used to break my grandfather's maul handle all the time with overswings. He bought me this monster fire engine red monstrosity that was all metal/steel. Pulled some muscles in my back after a couple days use. Gave it some rest and went right back at it.

Hi folks!

One of you kindly sent me the link to this thread. Thanks!

To be totally clear, this was for fun. I respect your expertise, and yes, if I wasn't around my father would have split these with a wedge or simply sawed them in half. But I was home for a few days for Christmas and I was supposed to break up these rounds so my father (bad back) could lift them and split them himself (with the Fiskars— it's a great old man tool). I had originally intended to do a comparison of both quartering and slabbing techniques, but I didn't have enough time or enough clear rounds to do that. I included the Fiskars because it's very popular among the internet community (love or hate) and it has its place as a cheap tool, but I wanted to show that it is not as effective for splitting big rounds, especially knotty ones.

My family has heated our house with firewood all my life, and I've been splitting firewood with an 8 lb traditional maul for over a decade, which is the better part of my life. The Fiskars is useful in some cases (small diameter, straight grained stuff) where its light weight and maneuverability make it quick and the wood will break in one hit. Since I am young and broad shouldered enough to swing it, my 30 lb maul is a great tool too. I fully understand that I am blessed to have the youth and strength that I do, and I try not to abuse my body.

I made the 30 lb maul after spending a few years doing manual rock breaking for landscaping with a 20 lb hammer. It seemed like the 12 lb maul I had was pretty easy to swing, and I'd get more powerful strikes with a heavier tool. Was I right? Yes. Is this a solution for everybody, or even me in a few years? No. Of course not!

And finally, in defense of the 30 lb maul, while I totally agree that wedges would be much less troublesome, I would say from my experience that for the entire process this is faster, at least the way I use wedges. A wedge would be faster to quarter these rounds, but then I'd still spend some time pounding on the quarters with the 8 lb maul. For breaking up the quarters, I would still prefer to use a heavier tool than an 8 lb maul. I suppose this is callow impatience, but I don't like having to strike more than once for a split.

It takes about one to four minutes to break the round with the 30 lb maul, and then five to ten minutes to break up the quarters and pile them up. Using a wedge would be roughly the same amount of time to quarter, though probably a little less. Using an 8 lb maul to break up the quarters would be slower (but certainly less effort!) at least the way I swing it. Someone mentioned that I have terrible form for my swing— this is the way my father taught me to swing the tool, and it works better than any other method I've seen in person or online, but I'm totally receptive to a better way, because at the end of the day I have to split a lot of firewood every year. I know of the axe-twist method, but it tends not to work quartering big rounds. So if I'm doing something wrong with my swing, I'd love to fix it! As for the hydraulic splitter, my family has a 26 ton hydraulic splitter that would have torn these rounds apart. However, it would have required moving the splitter (which is fairly heavy by itself) from one round to another, since these rounds weighed 800 pounds or so, which is too heavy for our little tractor's bucket. And once they were split in half, it would still be necessary to wrestle a 400 pound half around to split it again. I'd say for effort hydraulics about break even with my 30 lb maul. But wedges are definitely the way to go to do this fastest with the least effort.

For general woodsplitting, I think that a 20 lb maul with the same wide-angle as this one would be a somewhat more practical tool. But again, I'm not a professional, and this was mostly for fun.

Thanks for your interest, even if you think I'm an idiot!
Where in Jersey are you?

No, with, "all the initiative in the world," you could literally move a mountain. The kid isn't insane. If you don't have a capable Dad, uncle, brother, older cousin, a mentor or the military to train you, you are down to learning it yourself. That takes initiative. With initiative, you'll find perseverance. With those attributes and time, you'll get experience. Then you have a vocabulary which allows you to ask the right questions and enough wisdom to sort out the value of the answers. Furthermore, try training a kid to work with his face buried in a device all day.

Well I guess this is one of those situations where we can agree to disagree or however that saying goes. No amount of time will cure insanity. People with initiative fail all the time. There is no amount of initiative that will cure personal pride that hinders your ability to effectively adapt. Initiative, perseverance, and time will give you experience but what really matters is the quality. If you only have experience doing something that's wrong than your experience amounts to basically nothing. Pride can come in the way of asking the right questions or using the advice given to you.

Anyway, I'm getting too deep into this lol. This thread was supposed to be another Fiskars is crap deal. Not sure how we got so sidetracked.

Well I guess this is one of those situations where we can agree to disagree or however that saying goes.

That depends on your perspective, Ambull01. This situation might be the opportunity you needed to learn.

After the lack of ability to access a present situation accurately and to act on it, the next most terrible hindrance to progress is the lack of willingness to reflect.

If you only have experience doing something that's wrong than your experience amounts to basically nothing

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. -Thomas Edison

This thread was supposed to be another Fiskars is crap deal.

Don't underestimate me.

That depends on your perspective, Ambull01. This situation might be the opportunity you needed to learn.

After the lack of ability to access a present situation accurately, the next most terrible hindrance to progress is the lack of willingness to reflect.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. -Thomas Edison

Don't underestimate me.

lol. I knew someone was going to mention Thomas Edison. That 10k quote popped into my head as I mentioned insanity.

I know swinging a 30 lbs maul will not work for me. If it works for little Thor, great. I'll just leave it at that.

I reflect all the time. I take advice/recommendations from anyone and research said advice to see if it passes the sniff test. I'm ALWAYS thinking of progress. Just ask @Philbert lol.

@thor's hammer kid

Hey man! You have strength, enthusiasm and endurance, tell ya whut! I doubt I could swing your big maul! hahaha I'd give it a try though, roundhouse to the side maybe...probably flip myself right over though... ;)

OK, speed and technique tip with the fiskars, you can increase the foot pounds at impact. Right at the last second, drop your butt, bend at the knees. I would say it gives another..wild guess...15% more whammo to the whamee. That extra gravity boost helps. I don't do that all the time, just whenever I need it.

And my other post up yonder ^^ someplace has how to do real large rounds.

I give you The (Future) King.

While some of his technique needs some work, this kid has it going on.

I've found the quickest way to make splits is to lay them all out like that and go to town with the axe.

When I saw him carrying the double length @benp rounds out I was hoping he was going to split them full length.

The find the most power I get from a swing is when I can put the round on its side, stand on its side and swing right down between my toes like the underhand chop. Ill have to get a pic to show you. It sounds dangerous but once you see it it's really not any more dangerous and normal splitting and the extra ~90 degrees of swing really allows a lot more energy. :chop:

Maybe the kid can learn from this nut.

-edit No disrespect meant to the Clark family. Tom died in 2008. What an animal. R.I.P.

I knew Tom Clark personally. He was a one man firewood producing machine.

As good as he was splitting by hand, he used a Super Split for production & was the largest firewood producer in the area. He is the reason I bought a Super Split.

He was also one of the country's best blacksmiths.

The find the most power I get from a swing is when I can put the round on its side, stand on its side and swing right down between my toes like the underhand chop. Ill have to get a pic to show you. It sounds dangerous but once you see it it's really not any more dangerous and normal splitting and the extra ~90 degrees of swing really allows a lot more energy. :chop:

Interesting..never tried that...hmm...

Do you brace the back of the round with like another round or something?

I knew Tom Clark personally. He was a one man firewood producing machine.

As good as he was splitting by hand, he used a Super Split for production & was the largest firewood producer in the area. He is the reason I bought a Super Split.

He was also one of the country's best blacksmiths.

Thanks, Don. I saw the, "That's Incredible" when I was a kid that had him on it. We all loved watching him go. He influenced more people than he could possibly know. I relate to people like that and just don't really understand most people today. It's all about the trees and a self-sufficient lifestyle.

Interesting..never tried that...hmm...

Do you brace the back of the round with like another round or something?
Yes, put it perpendicular to a log of similar size so you can stand on that log too, if your not comfortable with the reach slip a chunk of wood under the end furthest from your feet so the cut end is angled up. If you can get the round cocked at about a 45 degree angle or little less is a good position. play around on my wood pile to find two logs near the base that have the right spacing to set my rounds on to get the setup I described. I only use this for the stubborn rounds that don't want to split normally because it's not efficient for large volume.
I image.jpg

Back