Flu Shot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well...ok. I'll do the work for you. Here is the reference from the CDC themselves. Everything you would like to know and more.

http://www.cdc.gov/FLU/about/qa/nasalspray.htm

They state in their FAQ's:
"Can people receiving the nasal-spray flu vaccine LAIV (FluMist®) pass the vaccine viruses to others?

In clinical studies, transmission of vaccine viruses to close contacts has occurred only rarely. The current estimated risk of getting infected with vaccine virus after close contact with a person vaccinated with the nasal-spray flu vaccine is low (0.6%-2.4%). Because the viruses are weakened, infection is unlikely to result in influenza illness symptoms since the vaccine viruses have not been shown to mutate into typical or naturally occurring influenza viruses.

Can contacts of people with weakened immune systems get the nasal-spray flu vaccine LAIV (FluMist®)?

People who are in contact with others with severely weakened immune systems when they are being cared for in a protective environment (for example, people with hematopoietic stem cell transplants), should not get LAIV (FluMist®). People who have contact with others with lesser degrees of immunosuppression (for example, people with diabetes, people with asthma taking corticosteroids, or people infected with HIV) can get LAIV (FluMist®)."

I quote the evening news, you quote the local school nurse. I quote the Center for Disease Control and you quote...?

Sorry for being snotty about this, it's just that I get tired of everybody believing what the local doctor or nurse told them, when that individual probably just didn't give the questioner an accurate answer because they were thought to be too dumb to understand. The medical health professionals lie to the public constantly, ...'cause we are stupid, and they know what is best for us. That probably include the CDC, by the way.

Last edited:
Sorry for being snotty about this, it's just that I get tired of everybody believing what the local doctor or nurse told them, when that individual probably just didn't give the questioner an accurate answer because they were thought to be too dumb to understand. The medical health professionals lie to the public constantly, ...'cause we are stupid, and they know what is best for us. That probably include the CDC, by the way.

That may not be all of it. Drs and Nurses are bombarbarded with new scientific literature daily and there is literally no way (physically) that a person could read and comprehend all that is out there. We as consumers need to do our own leg work and look things up. How many of you are taking a perscription right now and have not looked it up in the PDR or online to see what the side effects are? We need to be more informed and they only way WE are going to get that way is if WE do the work. Don't count on your physician to know everything. You do not read the Wall Street Journal, the NY Times, the Washington Post along with every other major newspaper daily. That is about equal to the volume of new scientific peer reviewed medical literature that comes out EVERY DAY. If you expect you doc to be reading all that, then how are they supposed to be in the office?

The literature is out there on line for us. You do not have to believe it all, and in fact you can often find dissenting opinions. Some of them are wrong, but it is pretty easy to see which stuff you can count on and which stuff you can ignore.

For those folks that do not want to get the H1N1 shot. Just so you know 11 kids died from it in the US this week.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33345714

Being one of Uncle Sams Misguided Children..we get about EVERY frackin shot known to man..whether we want it or not(its not a choice). The one year I didnt get the shot in 15 years in the service(since I was 18)..I got the worst case of the flu I have ever had..103/04 temp..shall we say.. constant uncontrolable "expulsions" from both ends..and lost 15 pounds in 4 days..I will continue to recieve the shot if I get it for free or have to pay for it..
I'm not some puppet of the goverment..or a part of some giant conspiracy..I'm just a patriotic, honest, hard working guy that has seen alot more than your average Joe Shmoe and although there are always some sort of side effects to any drug/vaccination out there..the benefits far in outweigh the drawbacks in this case..we all measure the pros and cons everyday we show up to work in the morning..we make a living at a profession we all love..IMO this is no different of a judgement than making sure you wear your seatbelt when you drive..we're all good drivers right? What about that one chance some moron out there isnt..
My Mom has been a nurse for over 35 yrs and would not ride my ass about getting this shot unless she thought it was vitally important..
Btw..the purpose of giving the dead version of the virus is to condition your body to build its defenses should it encounter the actual live version..similar to warming up and stretching before say..playing football or some other sport..you're letting your body know its going to encounter something more strenuous than its typically used to..or has experienced before..

Last edited:
Btw..the purpose of giving the dead version of the virus is to condition your body to build its defenses should it encounter the actual live version..similar to warming up and stretching before say..playing football or some other sport..you're letting your body know its going to encounter something that will involve something more strenuous..

Sums it up nicely.

Oh, ok, so now I know not to do any work around people with AIDS or other immune sytem deficient individuals. And I guess I'll take the risk of transmitting it (.6% - 2.4% chance). I think my friends that didn't get it are safe because there is therefore a 97.6% - 99.4% chance they are not going to get the flu from me.

I'll take those odds. :cheers:

The piggy flu shot is a live virus , It,s makers can not be held liable if they kill lots of people ......................... I work and live with people from all over the world in the winter , sometimes when working outside for 5 or 6 weeks in temps and wind chill to 90 below zero F , I get really sick ,,,...for a week or 2 .. Most of it is caused from working 7 /12sx 5 or 6 , and breathing lots of dry Arctic air and exhaustion... rather than some flu strain ..... If people have an active healthy life style , their bodies can handle most flu strains .......... But no doubt some lab is working hard to make a strain garrenteed to kill everyone who doesn,t buy their bs or anti dote... Some people just need to feel all official and system dependent..... Have fun .. I,ll opt out thanks !!!!

But no doubt some lab is working hard to make a strain garrenteed to kill everyone who doesn,t buy their bs or anti dote...

Got something you might want to buy, tenner to you and that's way cheaper than anywhere else;)

303190-honestly_good_tin_foil_hat.jpg

The piggy flu shot is a live virus , It,s makers can not be held liable if they kill lots of people ......................... I work and live with people from all over the world in the winter , sometimes when working outside for 5 or 6 weeks in temps and wind chill to 90 below zero F , I get really sick ,,,...for a week or 2 .. Most of it is caused from working 7 /12sx 5 or 6 , and breathing lots of dry Arctic air and exhaustion... rather than some flu strain ..... If people have an active healthy life style , their bodies can handle most flu strains .......... But no doubt some lab is working hard to make a strain garrenteed to kill everyone who doesn,t buy their bs or anti dote... Some people just need to feel all official and system dependent..... Have fun .. I,ll opt out thanks !!!!

The shot is not a live virus, only the nasal mist is live.

AA $ 14.16 +0.12 (+0.86%) 10,578,848 Just as I suspected. :hmm3grin2orange:

Just how bad is this supposed "epidemic" anyway? Does anyone here actually know anyone who currently has swine flu? I sure don't... and I wouldn't attribute that fact to the swine flu shot and nasal mist, as no one I know is receiving the shots or the spray.

Bigus Terminitus, great youtube post.

Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but there seems to be cooperation between the media pushing the "epidemic" agenda, the Govt reinforcing these concerns, and private industry proffiting from the sale of these shots and nasal sprays, with no recourse for anyone who is actually harmed by the shots.

It seems to me that the concerns over severe side effects from the swine flu vaccine are well founded. And I am still not getting the shot.

wood4heat: I gave up after my last post.

You can't fill the heads of the paranoid with good information. Their brains are already filled with misinformation, their ears are plugged up with suspicion, and they can't see past their preconceived notions.

If they could read and follow the posts, they would have already learned what we have told them any number of times, now.

I think this sort of problem is what originated the old expression: "beating a dead horse"

:deadhorse::deadhorse:

Just how bad is this supposed "epidemic" anyway? Does anyone here actually know anyone who currently has swine flu? I sure don't... and I wouldn't attribute that fact to the swine flu shot and nasal mist, as no one I know is receiving the shots or the spray.QUOTE]

I know three kids and one adult with swine flu. It's coming to a school near you.

Just how bad is this supposed "epidemic" anyway? Does anyone here actually know anyone who currently has swine flu? I sure don't... and I wouldn't attribute that fact to the swine flu shot and nasal mist, as no one I know is receiving the shots or the spray.

Several of my coworkers have kids that have H1N1. It has been running rampant in the Des Moines and surrounding schools district. No deaths have been reported but some schools have 15-25% absentee rates due to illness.

60 mins had a story on H1N1 last night. I know 60 mins :spam: The H1N1 flu seems to pack a harder punch and the body is loosing the fight against secondary infections. It is hitting kids, 5-25 yrs old, pretty hard but those born before 1950 seem to have immunity. Usually in a normal flu season, fall to spring, there are 60-70 deaths nationwide from the flu. This year there are already 400-600 deaths and it is only October. Pretty simple really more infections more chances of complications/death.

Brian

My sister-in-law had it and didn't know it. No big deal at all, for her.

She went to the doctor for some other reason, and reported that she also had been a bit down, with some sore joints. They tested her, and yep! she had it.

No early signs of her passing, however. :cry:

I saw some for sale the other day that used three AA batteries. I think they were $28.00.

See? at a tenner (that's an British tenner so something like $15 or so to you guys) my version of the tin foil hat is better value, and it doesn't need batteries( that cause more nasty radiation inside the hat where its going to be more harmful) either:givebeer:

My sister-in-law had it and didn't know it. No big deal at all, for her.

No early signs of her passing, however. :cry:

How would ya know? The DW & kids have had fevers & coughs last week, but didn't see a doctor. What a crummy thing to say about dear SIL, now I won't even rep ya. hahaha

Back