Flywheel bore taper angle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kebo57

Retired Engineer MOD, BAE, Paper Mill.
Reaction score
Hi I’ve got 45 hedge cutter in that’s been messed about with it’s got a Chinese crank with keyway for the flywheel in the wrong place so timing is out, keyway is sheered off the flywheel it runs well with the flywheel set correctly at Tdc, I’ve got a 2mm push type keyway broach coming to recut the keyway in the correct place, I’ll need to make a guide bush for the broach so does anyone know the angle in the bore of the 45 flywheel
Any help would be greatly appreciated
PS I have the slotting head on my mill and have cut keyways on lathe.

I have no idea what the angle on your flywheel is. But since you have a lathe and presumably will cut the taper for the broach bushing on that lathe, you don't really need to know the angle. Chuck the flywheel, put a test indicator in the toolpost, and adjust the angle of the compound so that the indicator shows zero deviation as you sweep the tapered flywheel bore by cranking the compound.

Replace the flywheel with the blank for your bushing and the indicator with the cutting tool. Make sure both the indicator point and tool are at center height as close as you can get them. Cut the taper with the compound slide. Test the taper with the flywheel and some high spot blue or magic marker on the bushing. Tweak the angle if it seems too far off, though it's not that fussy for a broach bushing.

If you really want to know the angle, you can measure it with two different diameter bearing balls, a depth mic, and some trig (or a CAD program -- the lazy man's trig).

5° 48’ approx have a stab see pic

Attachments

• 7D212B7D-1602-4CE5-BC0F-99F9D5837829.jpeg
    7D212B7D-1602-4CE5-BC0F-99F9D5837829.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
Hi I’ve got 45 hedge cutter in that’s been messed about with it’s got a Chinese crank with keyway for the flywheel in the wrong place so timing is out, keyway is sheered off the flywheel it runs well with the flywheel set correctly at Tdc, I’ve got a 2mm push type keyway broach coming to recut the keyway in the correct place, I’ll need to make a guide bush for the broach so does anyone know the angle in the bore of the 45 flywheel
Any help would be greatly appreciated
PS I have the slotting head on my mill and have cut keyways on lathe.
Is this a real post? Major machinery, and machining, for a hedge sheer? If "45" refers to a Stihl, its junk. Toss it and buy another.........this is just nuts?

Who buys, a crankshaft, of chinesium, for a $100 tool, and than asks someone else, to resolve the wacky fitment problem, by machining? Its a hedge sheer.....for Christ Sake.......this is a good "funny joke" post.....

Steady on.. my mate said can you get this Stihl 45 going, I said I could all it needed was a keyway in flywheel in correct place & carb stripping down and setting up

Why throw money at every problem

Latest posts

Back