? for the Canadians

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolfreak

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I recently moved from Iowa to Wyoming, so I don't have many hardwoods at my disposal anymore. Most people burn pine and a little aspen out here as that is predominately what is most available to cut. This spring I plan on installing a wood burner to heat the house through the winters. I live ten miles outside of town so Propane is what you get and I don't like spending $1500 every time it needs to be filled. So my question is, how often should the chimney be cleaned and what types of burners are you guys using or could recommend? The reason I ask is I have friends in Ontario and I know they burn pine and birch but I'm not sure what their using for a stove.

toolfreak said:
I recently moved from Iowa to Wyoming, so I don't have many hardwoods at my disposal anymore. Most people burn pine and a little aspen out here as that is predominately what is most available to cut. This spring I plan on installing a wood burner to heat the house through the winters. I live ten miles outside of town so Propane is what you get and I don't like spending $1500 every time it needs to be filled. So my question is, how often should the chimney be cleaned and what types of burners are you guys using or could recommend? The reason I ask is I have friends in Ontario and I know they burn pine and birch but I'm not sure what their using for a stove.
Most of the west cost burns pine too.
All the wood you just talked about sounds like gofer wood.
(Put wood in the stove and go fer more)

I used to live in the Black Hills and all I burned was pine. I cleaned the chimney about three times a winter, but I was keeping the draft closed most of the time because I tried to get more time between stokings. I used my mirror and flashlight and when I could see buildup, I went up and cleaned it. I thought the exercise was better than calling the fire department.

I had a Northern Leader wood furnace. Now, I have an Itasca WB 300 wood furnace. If I could afford it, I would go with the outdoor boiler.

Sounds like another American with a few misconceptions. I'm Canadian, and my stove runs on elm, maple, oak, ash, beech, hackberry, cherry, locust, etc. Even a little osage orange.I stay away from pine, spruce, poplar, aspen, etc. Not fussy on silver maple, but if it's dumped in my yard I'll burn it. THere's tulip, sassafrass, sycamore, and kentucky coffee tree within 2 miles of my house, any pine/spruce was planted.

That said, burn the sucker hot for the first hour every day and you shouldn't have any trouble.

I burn mainly birch and maple around 5-6 cords a year.I clean my chimney around this time each year.I use a slow combustion stove like a lot of people use here in Quebec .

only in northern ontario do they burn only aspen and pine, which is north of montana, minnesota, wisconsin and michigan, enough geography. there are many variable here, if your burning wet wood clean chimney weekly, if its dry once a month, once a season depending how much you burn. an excellent woodstove is pacific energy out of BC, an indoor wood boiler, greenwood from WA.

Latest posts

Back