ford or chevy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there all to big to be towing a stumper,try a isuzu turbo diesel absolutley bullet proof,and not as wide better for tow behind stumping

Aussie, cut it out. Stop that Euro/Australian mentality of tiny vehicles. :p

A pickup truck is not too big to pull a stumper!

Originally posted by Nickrosis
Aussie, cut it out. Stop that Euro/Australian mentality of tiny vehicles. :p

A pickup truck is not too big to pull a stumper!

Well Think about it There Gas is measured it Litres. Must be a size thing. :blob2:

guy that does my big stumps had a chevy4x4,he now uses the isuzu4x4 and gets into alot more places ;)

Originally posted by Nickrosis
Wouldn't pull equipment with an SUV. A misapplication of a vehicle, IMO.

Why not? The bigger SUV's run the same engine/tranny's as their p'up counterparts. Maybe the exception being the diesel. I believe Ford is the only one that offers a diesel in their bigger SUV's.

Originally posted by RAHTREELIMBS
I believe Ford is the only one that offers a diesel in their bigger SUV's.

Thats Because a Duramax Cannot pull a SUV....... :D

BEGLEYTREE

What do sales of the F-150 have to do with sales of a fullsize SUV? Can you explain your thought process? Cuz you know the Toyota Camery out sold the F-150 hands down.

Does anyone that uses a truck for "WORK" really consider the f-150 or any 1/2 ton truck a serious piece of euipment? They are not. They are sales tools to make money from Yuppies that want a truck.

Oh, By the way. The Suburban has been the sales leader since 1936. So put that in your F-150 pipe and smoke it..

Last edited:
Re: BEGLEYTREE

Originally posted by WoodTick007
Does anyone that uses a truck for "WORK" really consider the f-150 or any 1/2 ton truck a serious piece of euipment?

I do! I have a 2001 Chevy 1500 4x4 that does what I need it to do just fine.

Understand that I am just a weekend warrior. If this was a fulltime gig then things would be must different.

Originally posted by RAHTREELIMBS
Why not? The bigger SUV's run the same engine/tranny's as their p'up counterparts. Maybe the exception being the diesel. I believe Ford is the only one that offers a diesel in their bigger SUV's.
But the SUV has a lot of dead weight with the body and seats, etc. Through a stumper on there, and you're doing what it was designed to do 3 times a year - a camping trip up north for a family of 3 with a pop-up camper. Plus you don't have the same cargo area for messy tools, equipment, gas, oil, etc.

Take it from me, we have a Suburban, a Jeep Cherokee, extended cab trucks, regular cab trucks, dump trucks, flat beds, whatever. If I have a choice of vehicles for stumping, it will always be a regular cab for visibility, with an 8' box to put three sheets of plywood in to make clean up easy, and a false floor to store rakes underneath. Take it from me for what it's worth!

I do! I have a 2001 Chevy 1500 4x4 that does what I need it to do just fine.

Well Rich,

Ask yourself this question. How many established contractors buy a fleet of 1/2 ton trucks to: Haul Heavy Loads and Tow trailers/equipment? The answer is........... ZERO. Why? Because they will not hold up.
My neighbor is a contrator.... His fleet of F-350's work every day so hard that they burn thru exhaust manifolds on a regular basis.... Ever use your chevy 2001 1500 hard enough day in and day out to melt the exhast manifolds?
My point is that the 150/1500 trucks are truly not made to work. Lets call them the Stihl 029's of the pickup truck world.. Nuff said?

Re: I do! I have a 2001 Chevy 1500 4x4 that does what I need it to do just fine.

Well Rich,

Ask yourself this question. How many established contractors buy a fleet of 1/2 ton trucks to: Haul Heavy Loads and Tow trailers/equipment? The answer is........... ZERO. Why? Because they will not hold up.
My neighbor is a contrator.... His fleet of F-350's work every day so hard that they burn thru exhaust manifolds on a regular basis.... Ever use your chevy 2001 1500 hard enough day in and day out to melt the exhast manifolds?
My point is that the 150/1500 trucks are truly not made to work. Lets call them the Stihl 029's of the pickup truck world.. Nuff said?

Remember what I said:

Understand that I am just a weekend warrior. If this was a fulltime gig then things would be must different.

That says it all...........don't misunderstand the point that I was trying to get across.

They are meant to work. Not for what you want it for.

Re: BEGLEYTREE

What do sales of the F-150 have to do with sales of a fullsize SUV? Can you explain your thought process? Cuz you know the Toyota Camery out sold the F-150 hands down.

Does anyone that uses a truck for "WORK" really consider the f-150 or any 1/2 ton truck a serious piece of euipment? They are not. They are sales tools to make money from Yuppies that want a truck.

Oh, By the way. The Suburban has been the sales leader since 1936. So put that in your F-150 pipe and smoke it..

First, BREATHE Relax, its an opinion poll, not life or death.
The statement was made that the 'burbon was the best selling truck, that is incorrect( but we came together on that privately, he was talking suvs, and typed "truck"), that title is held by the F-150. why? tens of millions of trucks and their owners can't be wrong.
As far as 1/2 ton trucks, they have a place on my jobsite, move chippers, stumpers, haul wood, grindings, take one to the store to crap, run estimates ect. Maybe you can't do what you are trying to do with one, but it doesn't mean I can't. I don't know where you get F-150s are for yuppies, most of the "I drive a truck for a status symbol" crowd I know are driving 1 ton crew cabs or superdutys if they are pickups. The rest drive H2s or caddy trucks. Around here the SUV status symbol is far past. only middle class soccer moms who traded up from their mini-van are still slumming around in trailblazers and envoys. Most of their 16-18yo kids are driving explorers and expeditions. The 'burbons are usually painted greed and driven only to deer camp, or like previously stated, old guys pulling bumper hitch campers.
Like I said, I used a blazer to drag a stumper, it will pull it. Pulled it fine. But where do you put tools? I personally hate smelling gas fumes from saws in my truck. It always seemed 1/2 of the stumps left by others needed sliced again to save mess and time. Now where do you put the chunk you just cut? I can't imagine someone trying to gring stumps with a 'burbon, most guys here do it with a jeep wrangler or older CJ for turning radius. Most yards aren't 3 acres so you can spin the big long 'burbon around.
If I recall, so many 1/2 tons are used on jobsites that GM made the 1500 W/T. If they're used enough to make GM sit up, take notice, and biuld a special no frills work model just for the purpose, they obviously have their place.
I think your outfit needs to discriminate between a light duty truck (1 ton and down) and a medium or heavy duty truck. Sounds like you're overloading the tons where you need a truck read- medium duty like a c-7500. Then you won't be replacing so many manifolds from overheating. But like your post, mine is my opinion.

Camry, now you're just being silly. Camrys selling in the US just proves how short a memory most americans actually have, ie pearl harbor, WWII. Get my drift? but hell, france will have favored nation status soon, since no one rembers 9-11.

But, the important part is free will. The man can buy whatever he wants for whatever he wants regardless of what others think.
Save your energy for a real fight, keeps the blood pressure down that way.

FRUZPABA!!!!!!!!! :D
-Ralph

Last edited:
I would certainly recommend a 3/4 or 1 Ton Pickup for anyone buying a serious work truck. HOWEVER, I don't buy the line about the inadequacies of 1/2 tons. My father drove 1/2 ton pickups for years before he started buying 3/4 tons. I did also. My 1/2 tons worked and worked and worked. Yes I upgraded the suspensions with an extra leaf in the springs. Newsflash folks, until just a few years ago the 1/2 tons and the heavier pickups had the very same drivetrains. Their were smaller engine options available for the halves but if you got a big V8 and an automatic you got the same tranny as the trucks with stiffer springs and larger wheels.:rolleyes: My old '77 Dodge 150 with a 440 and automatic was a lot tougher truck than My '80 F250 351 with the C6 and motorhome shift kit. The Dodge got better fuel milage too! Both gave me good service. The '79 Chevy 1/2 ton shortbed with the 250 6 cylinder was unstoppable-it'd pull a several thousand pound trailer up any mountain in second gear.

Ive run a 1/2 ton truck for near 5 years. Had a 2001 dodge, but now have an older(96) f150. It serves me fine, it'll pull 7500 lbs,with no problem. I simply dont need anything bigger at this point.
Ive considered another new truck, but my f150 is PAID FOR, and you just cant beat that. I see and know to many people that have to drive the biggest, heaviest rig they can get, why.
Ill tell you why image:rolleyes:
I understand if you need a big truck you need a big truck, but most guys driving those big rigs do so needlessly (aside from there ego)
Woodtick- I guess you could call me a yuppie if you'd like because i WORK out of a 1/2 ton truck. does that mean I really wanted a real truck as you say? What a bunch of crap. I drive what I need, no more. I dont need a big truck to feel like a big man.
And ultimatly what it comes down to, I put more money into my bank account because I dont drive a vehicle that is really not needed.
so put that in YOUR pipe and smoke it

get real get MOPAR

ford ,lol... chevy,,, rofl junk and bigger junk, all that i have to say is HEMI!! get real get mopar. get a durango. ford powerstrokes are only good for boat anchors and the gm's overated engines barley have enough power to pull themselves,lol. but if you want a diesil you better get a mopar with a cummins, like they say i'd rater be cummin than strokin.:D :angel:

mopar

hell ya, i love mopar, born and raised in mopars. i'm sick and tired of people talking up these ford f-150's, they are junk! and all of you people out there downing 1/2 town trucks saying they are for yuppies, i love blowin the doors off of you f-150 lovers and chevys too with my 04' hemi dodge ram, i traded my 2001 ram in on my 04 and can't believe the power of this hemi this truck runs like a sports car but is still a 4X4 truck.

MOPAR OR NOCAR:D

Latest posts

Back