Forget the piston stop

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK. For some of you out there that have never done this before. Most all saws have some kind of cup on the flywheel that holds the pawls or however that manufacturer wanted to engage the starter mechanism with the flywheel. It is recessed. This is a simple matter if the nut that holds the flywheel has a skirt, which most of them do anymore. But, there are many saws where the nut that holds the flywheel is just a plain old nut with no flange.
So, you can try to center a hammer in the middle of the cup and not miss and break the damn thing. Or, you can get somebody to hold a piece of round or square steel bar maybe three inches long, enough you don't get your fingers banged.
Just picture it in your mind. A flywheel tightened down on the crank shaft held by a nut with no flange.
It is easy if you have somebody to hit the piece of steel while you hold the steel in one hand and the flywheel in the other.

OK. For some of you out there that have never done this before. Most all saws have some kind of cup on the flywheel that holds the pawls or however that manufacturer wanted to engage the starter mechanism with the flywheel. It is recessed. This is a simple matter if the nut that holds the flywheel has a skirt, which most of them do anymore. But, there are many saws where the nut that holds the flywheel is just a plain old nut with no flange.
So, you can try to center a hammer in the middle of the cup and not miss and break the damn thing. Or, you can get somebody to hold a piece of round or square steel bar maybe three inches long, enough you don't get your fingers banged.
Just picture it in your mind. A flywheel tightened down on the crank shaft held by a nut with no flange.
It is easy if you have somebody to hit the piece of steel while you hold the steel in one hand and the flywheel in the other.
I've never had a problem doing this alone.

I've never used a flywheel puller either. Back the nut out a bit and give it a tap with a hammer. Pops right off.
So flywheel pullers are of zero value to you? That is a interesting concept that I do not share.

And you won't if you use your head a little bit..Some of these guys could break a anvil.
Yes by using a hammer to "pop" something when the proper tool will do no damage. You admitted you choose a hammer over the proper tool.

And you won't if you use your head a little bit..Some of these guys could break a anvil.
That is an interesting concept from a fellow who admits to using a hammer over the proper tool.

I've never used a flywheel puller either. Back the nut out a bit and give it a tap with a hammer. Pops right off.
Seems a bit contradictory.

That is an interesting concept from a fellow who admits to using a hammer over the proper tool.

Seems a bit contradictory.
It's that whole chewing gum and walking thing.
It's not like you have to beat the **** out of the crank end to remove a flywheel. A little tap or two works just fine. Done it many times over decades.

Back