forgot how nice pine smells

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
since ive been laid off ive been catching up on quite a few odds and ends. i have a rather massive pile of odd pieces of wood left over from splitting that i just kinda left there. so the last week or so ive been had splitting it ans burning it in the old shenandoah in the cellar. its cleaning up the yard nicely and im getting use out of the wood. plus it saves my good dry split wood that i burn in the insert in the living room. this crap wont burn in my insert as its kinda wet and kinda oddly shaped.

i let the stove die out for a few hours today while i was working outside. i figured id get it going with some pine ive had for a few years now. i get the fire going and proceed to work outside on the tractor some more. man does that stuff smell good comming out of the chimney. i think ill actually throw a couple logs on everytime i workoutside its that nice.

i got the tractor straightened out too. i havent ran it in a while and the carb was gummed up solid. i bath in the ultrasonic cleaner and some compressed air and shes runnin like a top again.

Pine does smell nice. I burn a fair bit of it in my stove. Most people around here won't even take it for free. Of course Hickory and cherry smell nice. Some other lesser woods smell nice when burning. Sasafrass smells like rootbeer to me. I also burn a lot of silver maple. It smells almost like sandalwood incense.

I do the same thing when I'm working outside or when company comes over. Make sure there is a clean burning fire built with nice smelling wood.

Wind around here comes from the WNW. My neighbor to the east likes when I burn Pine because the smell is so nice. I have access to all the free pine I can stand so naturally I burn a lot if it.

Yep, pine is hard to get rid of around here, most wont take it even if you loaded it for them. But I love pine. Gets the fire going hot in the morning, and mighty quick too. And I love the smell. Reminds me of back home!

Sasafrass smells like rootbeer to me. .

It should, since rootbeer is made from sassafras root or bark. :msp_thumbup:

I started burning some pine this year after removing a dead and down pine from a neighbors front yard. It's super dry and gives a real kick start to a new fire before I add my oak. Not noticing much aroma from it, though, maybe because it's less than 10% MC. I guess a little bit greener wood would smell better. I love smelling Pinon Pine burning when I used to spend some time in the New Mexico mountains in the winter.

Back