Found the first weak link on the 35 ton DHT splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troylee

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
38 degrees today in IL, running AW32, and the unit has 20 hrs on it. The pictures are after dis-assembly, and reassembly(keep track of parts/relieve pressure off suction hose. Guess we know where they are saving a couple bucks. Breaking the rubber, I can understand, that is its job. Breaking the coupler with a rubber still intact pisses me off to no end. 2014-11-28-16-45-11_AATSC.jpg 2014-11-28-16-45-55_AATSC.jpg 2014-11-28-16-46-05_AATSC.jpg 2014-11-28-16-46-17_AATSC.jpg 2014-11-28-17-18-37_AATSC.jpg 2014-11-28-17-18-50_AATSC.jpg

I have been using some Chinese couplers lately. Lovejoy brand are just so expensive and I thought how can they screw up a chunk of steel. might have to rethink that now but so far I have used 10 or so of those Chinese one on customers splitters and haven't had a problem.

The coupler on the pump is ground smooth. Don't know what was holding it together. Based on the motor side coupler, it had been doing this for awhile. The pattern and slopes of what is left of the couple are perfectly symmetrical. Those with metal/coupler knowledge, please feel free to throw your two cents in.

Looks like misaligned or loose coupler to me. It ate 3 of the rubber teeth and then wore the metal. Looks just like a coupler I pulled off my splitter last year. I installed a new pump, pump bracket and coupling. Works perfect now. From the pics it looks like the coupling shavings are all over the pump bracket. With only 20 hours I would contact DHT and ask for a new coupling and rubber. Maybe try posting these pics on their thread they started a few months back?

Give us a call Monday morning and we'll over night some new parts straight away. By the looks of it the coupler was assembled too tight, if not misaligned, thus the 45 deg shear. Getting perfect alignment every time can be tricky. Either way we'll get your fixed up.

Should the outside of the two couplers be "flush"? I understand that the shafts need to be very close to "inline" and the centers could be, but when I straight line the outside of the couplers, I can fit my fingernail (.030) under the edge on the motor side. Guessing on the .030, but use my fingernail for plug gaping in the field. My dad taught me that.

Latest posts

Back