Found the first weak link on the 35 ton DHT splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never measured the gap. always just slide it together and line up the couplers. I set them so they aren't touching but have a small air gap. I would guess somewhere between 1/16 and 1/8 is where mine end up.

It's a non-critical dimension and Lovejoy even states a .030" variation is allowable (+/- .015") which is 25% of 1/8". The problem with having the couplers too close on a high pressure pump is that you can have collisions when both shafts grow from heat (engine is producing heat, and pump is producing heat so both will grow under use), and that can lead to bearing failures if you're not lucky enough to merely have the coupler break (like in this thread).

Having them too far apart - you might need a new spider sooner than normal, but +1/16" isn't going to change anything as it's under 10% of the spider's width. So think about that when you decide to argue for them being extra close together - there's no up-side to it.

You know, as much as I would like to pile on these 40ft container China logsplitters. . . your getting whole log splitter for what real men spend on control valves and hydraulic fittings. If all you can find to piss and moan about is a $9 coupling on a $600-$700 splitter.... No offense or anything, but have you considered getting a life? Why toss him and his product under the buss before you called or emailed him and allowed him a chance to make it right? It's apparent you never looked or listened to anything until something broke. Here is a "clue".... A log splitter is a "machine" and machines should be "inspected" prior to and after each use. This is how machine operators avoid injury and prevent breakdowns.

DHT's responsiveness to threads here is part of why I bought one 3 days ago. They've changed a couple different design attributes based at least partly on AS member's input - that's a GOOD company to work with. No one's said they're making junk, and they've responded immediately to the component failure.

I was under the impression we were having a respectful discussion on the alignment and spacing of a lovejoy coupler, not comparing schlongs and insulting one another. :rolleyes:

DHT did take care of the matter today, warranty clerk was waiting on my call. They are sending the coupler and the MOUNT, just in case it is out of tolerance. I also chose DHT because of their presence on this form.

DHT did take care of the matter today, warranty clerk was waiting on my call. They are sending the coupler and the MOUNT, just in case it is out of tolerance. I also chose DHT because of their presence on this form.
I'm pretty impressed with their response to your matter.

I've contacted three other site sponsors for products and they never even responded to me.

I am lucky to be able to do what I do. Have broken my collar bone, and dislocated and tore all ligaments on the other shoulder and have a separated sternum ( i hinge in the middle). Swinging most anything is out of the question.

Latest posts

Back