Found the first weak link on the 35 ton DHT splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reading through this thread helped a little. Hope you can get things going again.

I did a search on couplers but didn't see anything pertaining so I started a thread before seeing this thread.

This comment worries me now. Wondering if I got mine too flush.

There should be around a 1/8" gap between the couplings to allow for thermal growth.

lqeOjAw.jpg

The holes in the pump mount are slightly oversized so that you can obtain a proper alignment between the shaft of the pump and the engine. Troy it looks like you took them apart then put them back together when you took the last picture. When the new coupler goes on you'll need to align the shafts.

Reading through this thread helped a little. Hope you can get things going again.

I did a search on couplers but didn't see anything pertaining so I started a thread before seeing this thread.

This comment worries me now. Wondering if I got mine too flush.

lqeOjAw.jpg

That is too tight...or deep however you look at it..

The holes in the pump mount are slightly oversized so that you can obtain a proper alignment between the shaft of the pump and the engine. Troy it looks like you took them apart then put them back together when you took the last picture. When the new coupler goes on you'll need to align the shafts.

Pump was not taken off the mount, just that one bolt was loosened, then switched to the 4 bolts on the motor side.

I took a few minutes to align the coupler on my 28t before running it. It was about 1/16" out of alignment, but I feel better having it perfect. Worth checking on ANY splitter you buy.

I was thinking I should go over mine when it came out of the crate. Just instinct I guess. :) I'll be doing that before I gas it up.

There's some other designs besides the traditional love-joy. I've got one that uses a plastic intermediate coupling between two metal dogs which wouldn't touch if the coupler failed. So it's an alignment device and a fusible link. I forget what they're called - it was in a lot I won at an auction.

Love-joy's can last for a very long time, but alignment is critical. It's something I check occasionally during use just in case something shifts a bit.

To be fair, you, as a new owner, should go over ANY splitter you buy. Some of the assembly work on Speeco splitters at a local farm & ranch store defies belief. One had an obviously kinked suction line that would never prime for whoever bought it. No...not Speeco's fault, but the local assembler did a horrible job.

Love-joy's can last for a very long time, but alignment is critical. It's something I check occasionally during use just in case something shifts a bit.

To be fair, you, as a new owner, should go over ANY splitter you buy. Some of the assembly work on Speeco splitters at a local farm & ranch store defies belief. One had an obviously kinked suction line that would never prime for whoever bought it. No...not Speeco's fault, but the local assembler did a horrible job.
I've had exactly one Love Joy coupleing fail in 60 years of using them on various pieces of equipment.

this is a step up from the love joy. They work good and do allow for some misalignment.

e7d3669d665041667c3c1f11cffc4e1c.jpg

It's called a rexnord Omega. the smallest size element would probably work, just match up your shaft sizes.

Thanks

I was thinking I should go over mine when it came out of the crate. Just instinct I guess. :) I'll be doing that before I gas it up.

There's some other designs besides the traditional love-joy. I've got one that uses a plastic intermediate coupling between two metal dogs which wouldn't touch if the coupler failed. So it's an alignment device and a fusible link. I forget what they're called - it was in a lot I won at an auction.

I used Magnaloy on mine. You can get various fusible links that have different strengths for the amount of HP/drag you are putting on them.

64f826e171c65e-magnaloy-coples-39937.jpg

MVC-022S_14.JPG

James at Splitez recommended it to me as he says he has less issues with them as opposed to other brands.

i use vertical shaft engines on my splitter and i align the couplers with a thin piece of sheet metal wrapped around them with a hose clamp. once i tighten that clamp, i bolt the engine down tight.

never had a failure yet and i've changed quite a few engines just to try out different HP's on my splitter.

i've never worried about that 1/8 " gap i just gently push them together by hand then tighten the set screws.

Back