From MS270 to MS361 in Two Weeks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OopsDeals

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
From my original post about 2 weeks ago when I purchased my first Stihl saw a MS 270. I have had a total blast with it. I called my dealer today and said I really wished I would have gone with the MS 361, but going from a $150.00/Lowes saw to a $400 MS 270 was a big jump for me .. now after using it for 2 weeks .. I am wanting more, so they said they would knock $40.00 off what I originally paid for the MS 270 and let me trade up for the difference.

So, I am heading off tonight to get teh MS 361 C-B (I love the chain adjustment feature).

I really don't "need" it .. but I "want" it ... It kept me up last night. I had just turned off the lights, laying in bed .. thinking about the chainsaw (with my beautiful wife right next to me go figure)... and started wishing I would have gotten the MS 361... then it got me thinking, does Stihl have some sort of 30 day guarantee/return .. I doubt it but it's worth the question.

So today I called and they talked it over and made me a deal .. Saaaawwweeet.

So now, I am getting the 18" bar (is that too small or just right?, should I upgrade to the 20?) ... but it's an MS 361, and my splitter is going to be picked up hopefully in two weeks, now I just need my son to grow up alittle more so he can stack the wood ;)

See around my house, if I spread things out the pain isnt' too bad .. $400 .. that's ok .. $600+ hmmm that may get me into trouble ... so $400 now and $200 in two weeks .. whats the big deal ;)

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I maybe the fastest upgrader around !

Get serious and forget the homeowner chain tensioner, it's a joke to a real sawyer who relies on his equipment at all times. It's just a bunch of moving parts waiting to fail you at anytime.

You are up to a decent saw, now take it one step further and make it a man's saw. Let's see how fast you really can upgrade. Clock is tickin.

BTW- 20" bar is the way to go on that saw.

LOL ... well, I upgraded to your likin, I didn't get the chain tensioner model just the straight ole bolts.

They gave me an extra chain too which is nice... I will probably get the 20" bar, it came with the 18"... I haven't been able to use it yet ... but after I return from out of town tomorrow, I will put a few high school boys to work on Thursday.

Last edited:
Great saw! I have the 036 and we recently grabbed a 361, and if it last like it's older brother I will be real happy. As far as the 18" that it came with, I wouldn't mess with shelling out the extra money for the 20" unless the dealer will trade it out. There is just not enough difference in size to justify the expense. I have the 20" and it suits the saw real well. Good luck!

ah

And so it starts, the chain saw addiction. Next you'll be wanting a 460 or 660 to go with your new 361 to get that boost all over again. This inturn leads to getting your saws ported/modded and there is no going back! This is your first, last and only warning, It's already too late to turn back so when the saws get older and tired get them ported by one of the saw guys and the thrill is back and you'll wonder why you waited so long to try out a ported saw or ever bought one that wasn't.

No doubt .. I was sawing tonight and walked up to the house (with saw) to get a drink, had the saw outside, my wife and I walked back out and I stopped and asked her to be careful when walking by the saw, I didn't want her to accidentally knock it over ... She just rolled her eyes and said sleep with it ... I gladly said ok.. ;)

It's a great saw, glad I moved up. Now I am just looking for some good video's or illustrations on felling tree's .. I have one about 20-22" tree that I need to fell and make sure it doesn't go towards the pool .. that would cause to much fuss...

Any suggestions?

No doubt .. I was sawing tonight and walked up to the house (with saw) to get a drink, had the saw outside, my wife and I walked back out and I stopped and asked her to be careful when walking by the saw, I didn't want her to accidentally knock it over ... She just rolled her eyes and said sleep with it ... I gladly said ok.. ;)

It's a great saw, glad I moved up. Now I am just looking for some good video's or illustrations on felling tree's .. I have one about 20-22" tree that I need to fell and make sure it doesn't go towards the pool .. that would cause to much fuss...

Any suggestions?

If it's a leaner than you are gonna have to tie it off and persuade it with some sort of machinery. Just make sure you dont underestimate the amount of rope needed.

From my original post about 2 weeks ago when I purchased my first Stihl saw a MS 270. I have had a total blast with it. I called my dealer today and said I really wished I would have gone with the MS 361, but going from a $150.00/Lowes saw to a $400 MS 270 was a big jump for me .. now after using it for 2 weeks .. I am wanting more, so they said they would knock $40.00 off what I originally paid for the MS 270 and let me trade up for the difference.

So, I am heading off tonight to get teh MS 361 C-B (I love the chain adjustment feature).

I really don't "need" it .. but I "want" it ... It kept me up last night. I had just turned off the lights, laying in bed .. thinking about the chainsaw (with my beautiful wife right next to me go figure)... and started wishing I would have gotten the MS 361... then it got me thinking, does Stihl have some sort of 30 day guarantee/return .. I doubt it but it's worth the question.

So today I called and they talked it over and made me a deal .. Saaaawwweeet.

So now, I am getting the 18" bar (is that too small or just right?, should I upgrade to the 20?) ... but it's an MS 361, and my splitter is going to be picked up hopefully in two weeks, now I just need my son to grow up alittle more so he can stack the wood ;)

See around my house, if I spread things out the pain isnt' too bad .. $400 .. that's ok .. $600+ hmmm that may get me into trouble ... so $400 now and $200 in two weeks .. whats the big deal ;)

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I maybe the fastest upgrader around !

Go with the 16" or 18", and put a larger one on only when you really need it!

The saw handles better with the shorter bars. :clap:

You are doing the right thing, the weight difference beween the 270 and the 361 is negliable, the power difference much more notisable.....

Last edited:
It has a slight (very slight) lean in the opposite direction I want it to go. It's on a slight slope 5 or 10 degree I want it to fall oh "kinda" uphill. To see the lean, of the tree, you almost have to look straight up it ...

I really have been looking through as many videos and such as possible to see the different techinques. I believe with a wedge or two I should be able to get it to fall the right direction.

Congrats on the MS361 Paul..!!!!! It's a great saw! I have one and have had it for about 2 years now. It's my favorite saw!! :chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back