Frustum of a cone for firewood. . .

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More and more states are requiring fuel wood cutters to sell by the cord or fraction of a cord,by law.Substantial fines are levied against vendors whom sell in any other form.

Arkansas enacted this law two years ago.:monkey:

I disagree. . . I can stack two piles of wood together, each measuring 4'X4'X8'. . . One with larger air gaps than the other, and one will contain more wood than the larger gapped pile.

It doesn't matter one whit how you or anybody else can stack. Nor does it matter what a customer expects. A cord is a legally defined measurement which includes air spaces. Yes, it's an imperfect measure, because there IS no perfect measure. However, imperfect as it is, the fact remains, the legal definition includes air spaces, NOT just solid wood.

It's not a matter of opinion, it's not open to interpretation, and it's not open to argument, any more than the definitions of mile, gallon, degrees Centigrade or any other standard measurement are matters of opinion or open to argument or interpretation.

EDIT: Metals, that came across pretty harsh, and I didn't mean it that way. For that I apologize. I just get frustrated with this same old nonsense. "Face" cords and "ricks" and endless debates about what a cord is, when it's a well-established, legally defined unit of measure.

Last edited:
Many years ago when I worked near the Houston shipyards, a large freight company over there devised a clever way to get rid of the hardwood timbers that heavy equipment and steel was stacked on while in transit. Ordinarily, they would have to pay a landfill fee to dispose of the 4x4s and 6x6s - but decided to allow their off-the-clock employees to saw up the clean ones into 16" lengths and sell them as firewood for extra spending $$.

The stuff surely did stack good - and with almost no airspace! Probably the only time firewood customers would get a real 128cu. ft. of solid wood when they paid for a stacked 4'x4'x8' cord. :laugh:

xtm

:D

Yeah, but what a crime to saw up those beams that way! I'd sure love to get a truckload of them!

:D

Yeah, but what a crime to saw up those beams that way! I'd sure love to get a truckload of them!

Like I said..."many years ago"... :laugh:

I never bought any cordwood from them, but would go over there occasionally and snoop around for some "exotic" lumber from S. America and Asia to use for outdoor furniture and the like. Rough, but always incredibly cheap..... waaay back - when the dollar had some real buying power internationally :)

xtm

Latest posts

Back